U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 PM

5 posts, read 11,063 times

Advertisements

Looking for fun things to do with my family. I have a young son (soon to have another baby!). Can you guys suggest things that you do with your families or yearly events you do together that are fun? Also looking to make some new family traditions while we're at it!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 11:25 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,970,730 times
Some NEPA yearly events we make a point of going to...

the Northeast and Wayne County fairs

Home
Welcome to the Wayne County Fair

Railfest in Scranton
Steamtown National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

Patchtown Days and Living History Weekend at Eckley Miners Village
Home - Eckley Miners' Village

The Rotary Club 4th of July Fireworks celebration in Abington Heights.

The Great Pocono Pumpkin Festival.
http://www.countryjunction.com/

Since my kids were born, my wife always took them and went with her dad to the Masons Easter egg hunt. They have a breakfast with the bunny and basket raffle. Although I'm not sure if it is open to the public. It's this Saturday.

There are two church bazaars we go to in Kingston every year as well.....mmmm, I can almost taste those delicious potato pancakes.

We do have one thing that my wife and I have vowed to take the kids to every year until they are at least teenagers, Koziar's Christmas Village, outside Reading.
http://www.koziarschristmasvillage.com

We go to other fairs/carnivals and events on a yearly basis, but they are outside of NEPA.

As far as family things to do, it helps to know where you are. I don't want to suggest the Bloomsburg Children's Museum if you live in Milford.

Last edited by Lehigh Valley Native; 04-21-2011 at 12:39 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 AM

nobody else have any family activities they attend?
i'd be interested to see what other families do.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,374,760 times
You may want to check out the Electric City Trolley Museum in Scranton, they should be starting up the 2011 excursions any day now. The ride lasts about an hour, is inexpensive, and very kid friendly.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:40 AM

529 posts, read 978,679 times
The trolley rides start again on April 30, and run only on Thursdays through Sundays. The fare is $8.00.
Steamtown also had short rides partway across Scranton for $5 behind a steam locomotive (as well as longer excursions periodically).

Old 04-25-2011, 12:42 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,374,760 times
I don't know if the in-the-yard Steamtown runs are really worth it, I think they only ran the steamer on Fridays last year. Otherwise you're stuck with the diesel until the Baldwin gets on it's drivers again, hopefully later this season. But I would recommend either taking the Moscow excursion, or simply going up to the station to meet the train on it's arrival. There is a fundraising group that opens the station and sells candy/soda/hotdogs. Inexpensive, fun, and you can leave whenever you feel like, which is good when it comes to young children.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:21 PM

120 posts, read 206,581 times
McDade Park (Coal mine tour and museum, GREAT boundless playground, pool, pavillions ect....)

Nay Aug Park (Everhart museum and MANY fun family activities throughout the summer, large pool WITH water slides, great play grounds, outdoor summer family friendly movie series)

Multiple trips to Knoebels are pretty much manditory

Bloomsburg Fair is another almost maditory yearly outing...wear your walking shoes.

The Childrens library in Scranton has a lot of activities scheduled.

Scranton Cultural center has a very good children's series that is reasonably priced.

You can take a family of 4 to the SWB Yankees games for $30-$40 with a voucher to the local Wendy's included for a pre-game meal.

Clarks Summit winter ice festival

South Abington Park (nice young childrens soft splash area, play area, and walking trail)

There are all kinds of local festivals, church picnics and fairs in the area.

There really are a ton of things for families to do in our area...you just need to look around a little. Pickup a copy of Electric City and look through the section with all of the activities listed...we have found numerous things to do in there.

I agree with one of the above posters in asking WHERE in NEPA you are located...that makes a big difference. If your in the Northern/Eastern end of the Poconos then things in Wilkes-Barre and Bloomsburg are not exactly around the corner

Last edited by ofhs93; 04-26-2011 at 02:38 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 08:00 AM

212 posts, read 460,258 times
We go to

West End Fair - Larger than Bloomsburg Fair, but we like both
Pocono 500 Race
to the North West, there is Dorney Park (water and land)
There are also smaller fairs through out summer/autumn in the Pocono if you do not mind driving.

Waynes County Fair - 8/5-13/2011
Carbon County Fair 8/10-14
West End Fair is usually end of August
Bloomsburg fair is usually in end of September-early October

Take a look at this site: Poconos Attractions
also in Shawne, there are always something going on, but it is a bit too commercial for our taste since most people from NY would go there as a day trip due to the drivable distance for a quick day trip. Not to mention it is on the $$$$$ side. $40 for a family of 4 plus food and drink, vs most fair charges $10 for family of 4 (kids are free)

also make sure you grab a copy of THIS WEEK IN POCONO in one of your local supermarket: This Week In The Poconos - Your Guide for Where to Go, What to Do and What to See in the Pocono Mountains Since 1932!

Pocono is so much fun there is no such thing as nothing to do.
Worst come to worst, sit by the fire place, sip a hot chocolate and watch a movie as a family as the snow fall outside.

It is sweet.

Pocono girl.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
We go to

West End Fair - Larger than Bloomsburg Fair, but we like both
Is the West End Fair really bigger than Bloomsburg? Is West End Cheaper?

We like going to the Bloomsburg fair, but the ride passes are getting ridiculous in pricing. It's almost as much as Knoebels.

In NEPA, we really like the Wayne County fair. It's like $8.00 to get in and includes a ton of rides.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:08 PM

41,823 posts, read 46,189,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
We like going to the Bloomsburg fair, but the ride passes are getting ridiculous in pricing. It's almost as much as Knoebels.
Knoebels is a great place everyone though, if you're not riding the rides and bring a picnic/grill you really don't have to spend anything on yourself.

They have a pay one price offer:

Knoebels Amusement Resort
Pay-One-Price
http://www.knoebels.com/images/10-site/white-line.gif (broken link) Available:
May 27, June 3 ... 10 am - 9 pm, June 13, 14 August 29-Sept 1 ...11 am - 8:30 pm
Monday thru Friday June 15 - Aug 26 ... 11am-10 pm
Plus May 28, June 4, 10, Sept. 2, 3... 11am - 10 pm

Basically looks like just the weekends you can't get one price? Under 48" is $20 or $25 with the coasters.

They have cheaper evening passes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania