Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2011, 02:17 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,181,946 times

Advertisements

I thought I read somewhere that Hot Dog Johnny's steamed or boiled the hot dogs. If so, yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 02:45 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,655,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I feel the same way about Hot Dog Johnny's in NJ and Nathan's Famous in Coney Island.
There is nothing like a Nathan's hot dog. And they have the best french fries ever!!!!!

Old 06-10-2011, 03:17 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,345,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
There is nothing like a Nathan's hot dog. And they have the best french fries ever!!!!!
Their main stand in Coney Island also sells clams on the half shell so I get an order of each.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:38 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
That's also why I don't understand why Olive Garden attracts so many people around here with their mediocre reheated chain food. Why people will wait in line for a table for mediocre crap when there's an Italian restaurant on practically every other corner in this area is beyond me.
Maybe the OG customers heard that the local pizza has American Cheese?

Just kidding.

My guess of reasons why OG is popular (if you say it is, I don't patronize it personally) includes 1) convenient and 'easy' access, most OGs are near major shopping areas with large parking lots (many locals offer on street parking or less convenient lots and may require a longer walk) 2) advertising, the TV commercials are mouth watering productions worthy of an Oscar or whatever they are called in this industry, and 3) 'culture' more and more diners have been raised on fast food, take out, and 'all you can eat' specials

Sadly much of the USA is replete with OG and many other chains. (BTW I have nothing against OG, and have heard that it OK dining comparable to many other chains). You can dine in Raleigh, Phoenix, Tampa, Albany, and Minneapolis in the same way as in hundreds of other places.

American culture' is uh, well, you know .

NEPA is probably more resistant than many other areas but that is changing too. Soon much of the pizza will be made with the same stuff as the rest of the country

Old 06-10-2011, 05:22 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,242 times
If you'll allow another hot dog post, one thing I remember from when I was a kid (before microwaves), was that Presto came out with a device that electrocuted hot dogs around 1960. My dad loved that sort of weird stuff.

YouTube - ‪Presto Weenie Electrocuter‬‏

Well, I recently found one on the internet and bought it for $10 + shipping.
I've used it a few times in the past week. I like the taste, and it's definitely tasty & different to me, but you can definitely taste the result of electrocution in the taste of the meat. My wife said "yuk, it tastes metallic", and the are burn marks in the holes at the end too. But to each his own, tastes very special to me.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:29 PM

32,916 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Their main stand in Coney Island also sells clams on the half shell so I get an order of each.
Hot dogs and clams? Wow! What more could a person want? I'm not being sarcastic.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
The "dirty water dogs" from the street vendors in NYC are a close 2nd.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Hot dogs and clams? Wow! What more could a person want? I'm not being sarcastic.
That's the NYC and Jersey Shore in me.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:13 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,418 times
Quote:
The "dirty water dogs" from the street vendors in NYC are a close 2nd.
those are my absolute favorite, I never went hot dog Johnnies when i was a kid, so they do nothing for me. They are good and their fries are good, but their not my favorite.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:44 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,083,852 times
so some of you enjoy food from questionable sources,prepared possibly unhygenically,but whine about pizza cheese??????hmmm

btw--loved hot dog johnnys and nathans stand at coney island and jersey shore----but pizza in morristown the best what????seems 90% of joisey pizza is the same from cherry hill to lake hopatcong to long beach island to garfield----no diff(including the ny mahwah/greenwood lakes area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania