Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:30 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I see no similarity in the beach or a pool, where people are dressed in "skimpy" clothing because it is appropriate clothing for swimming, and a place with a name that is a slang word for breasts and the theme of the restaurant is women as objects. I have no problem with Hooters as far as a place for adults.....but it is trashy and in poor taste to take middle school kids there on a school trip. Personally I wouldn't eat at Hooters because I've never heard anything remotely good about their food either.

As far as it being the only place they could go, I call BS on that one. Have you ever been to the Inner Harbor? There are TONS of restaurants there. There's no way it was either Hooters or starve.
It doesn't make sense(the pool argument), if it did, our High School girls then should be allowed to walk into school wearing a bikini top and shorts.

We don't let girls dress like that because it isn't appropriate for the environment. Just like at schools with pools, girls must wear one piece suits, not bikinis.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:12 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I really don't think it's called smothering when you send your kid on a field trip and they end up in Hooters.
one of the aspects of smothering is keeping your kids from knowing about,going to or viewing things that are normal for their age group----like it or not,as i said before,unless your son wears glasses that blocks out all vision,he will notice boobies wherever he goes,be they large,small,literally non exsistant,in a tight t shirt or not(at 12,13,this is normal----so hooters will not scar him for life,but your restrictive this is bad attitude may)---at most it is a great,i'm not telling my parents this incentive)imo

Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 AM

imho---parents need to focus more on drugs,drinking,unprotected sex at middle school age and not whether they will see large tatas at hooters!

Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times
I would just like to point out, that I would take my own kids to Hooters. although my wife isn't onboard with the idea, that whole objectification thing.

My problem has been, that the chaperones/parents didn't have the common sense to think this might be a bad idea. That some parents may get upset.

As to the argument, they had no other choice, that is just B.S. It was a group of 15 kids, and there is a McDonalds a few blocks away from the Hooters. Not to mention the street vendors who sell food.

I think that the person who organized the trip should be reprimanded. How do you plan a trip for one hundred kids, and not think to make lunch reservations before the trip.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I see no similarity in the beach or a pool, where people are dressed in "skimpy" clothing because it is appropriate clothing for swimming, and a place with a name that is a slang word for breasts and the theme of the restaurant is women as objects. I have no problem with Hooters as far as a place for adults.....but it is trashy and in poor taste to take middle school kids there on a school trip. Personally I wouldn't eat at Hooters because I've never heard anything remotely good about their food either.

As far as it being the only place they could go, I call BS on that one. Have you ever been to the Inner Harbor? There are TONS of restaurants there. There's no way it was either Hooters or starve.

Yes, I've stated several times that I've been to Inner Harbor. I've also been on large field trips where there were hundreds of kids from different schools going to restaurants.

And of course you'd see NO similarity to the beach or pool.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:38 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
It doesn't make sense(the pool argument), if it did, our High School girls then should be allowed to walk into school wearing a bikini top and shorts.

We don't let girls dress like that because it isn't appropriate for the environment. Just like at schools with pools, girls must wear one piece suits, not bikinis.
Wow. Two COMPLETELY unrelated points that you are trying to marry. My gosh. SMH

Old 06-06-2011, 05:28 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
one of the aspects of smothering is keeping your kids from knowing about,going to or viewing things that are normal for their age group----like it or not,as i said before,unless your son wears glasses that blocks out all vision,he will notice boobies wherever he goes,be they large,small,literally non exsistant,in a tight t shirt or not(at 12,13,this is normal----so hooters will not scar him for life,but your restrictive this is bad attitude may)---at most it is a great,i'm not telling my parents this incentive)imo
My kids are grown and they're just fine, yes, it's normal for boys of that age to be curious, but again, taking them to Hooters on a field trip with the school is wrong, taking them to Hooters at that age is wrong.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
My kids are grown and they're just fine, yes, it's normal for boys of that age to be curious, but again, taking them to Hooters on a field trip with the school is wrong, taking them to Hooters at that age is wrong.
what would your fine grown kids do if one of their middle school kids did go there? i still don't see your being upset at this since your kids are grown up and never went there?????

i still see this onetime chaperoned visit as a none issue-----btw--if your kids went on field trips did you ever go with them and if you didn't are you absolutely positive the kids did everything you approve of while not under your supervision?(my guess is no)

Old 06-06-2011, 08:40 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
what would your fine grown kids do if one of their middle school kids did go there? i still don't see your being upset at this since your kids are grown up and never went there?????

i still see this onetime chaperoned visit as a none issue-----btw--if your kids went on field trips did you ever go with them and if you didn't are you absolutely positive the kids did everything you approve of while not under your supervision?(my guess is no)
My kids would be pissed if their kids ended up at Hooters. I'm know they did stuff i didn't approve of while not under my supervision. It's one thing to do stuff with your friends while growing up, but it's another when your kids go on a field trip and grown adults take them to a place you don't approve of and not ask first. No i didn't go with them.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
A boy seeing women and men in general is one thing, Hooters is not the same. If one can not see that, nothing can be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania