Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:07 PM

39 posts, read 52,737 times

Advertisements

i have two girls ages 7 & 5. they will be in 2nd and kindergarten. where should we move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 04:45 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,248,448 times
The town of Berwick itself. It is a nice, scenic, small American town. can't go wrong

Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,162,070 times
I agree with WBP. Danville is a nice town too. Bloomsburg has many things to do, nice small town feel.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Default thanks

right now we are leaning toward bloomsburg. i like the small town feel to it & it actually has a bit of a down town.
i hear a lot of good things about mountain top schools, but when visiting was surprised at how run down everything looked.
i also have heard some negative comments about berwick. people saying it's just a football school & don't move there if you have girls. ??? any response to that? to say not to move into a district b/c you have girls seems odd to me, but i'm not from the area so....?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,750,994 times
I'd go with Bloomsburg or Danville....Berwick always seemed a little on the redneck side to me. High school football is THE religion there and they take middle schoolers on class trips to Hooters.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:14 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,750,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamorrall View Post
i hear a lot of good things about mountain top schools, but when visiting was surprised at how run down everything looked.
Mountain Top....run down??? Where are you coming from, Beverly Hills?

Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 AM

in mountain top the main strip through town just seemed dirty and not well maintained, and unorganized. it was off putting. that being said it's been suggested by several people at the berwick plant. i don't wish to offend anyone. like all things, peoples frame of reference is different.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,248,448 times
Quote:
right now we are leaning toward bloomsburg. i like the small town feel to it & it actually has a bit of a down town.
i also have heard some negative comments about berwick. people saying it's just a football school & don't move there if you have girls. ??? any response to that? to say not to move into a district b/c you have girls seems odd to me, but i'm not from the area so....?
Bloomsburg is also nice, but it is a college town and has some of the misbehaviour and partying atmosphere that goes along with it ( not that that should sway your choice) it is also home to The Bloomsburg Fair which is an annual event and one of the largest fairs in the state, and is close to Knoebel's amusement park which is a great family trip this time of year especially for the kids. Good choice!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 AM

not really looking for my middle school age girls to take a field trip to hooters.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,169,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Mountain Top....run down??? Where are you coming from, Beverly Hills?
I like Mountain Top, but I can see how someone could perceive it as rundown. I think it might have a lot to do with the topography of the area and the remnants of coal mining that you still see.
If you are moving from a sterile McMansion (for lack of a better word) suburban setting, much of NEPA would appear "run down". Honestly, this is probably why much of NEPA appears to me to be rundown.

Quote:
in mountain top the main strip through town just seemed dirty and not well maintained, and unorganized. it was off putting. that being said it's been suggested by several people at the berwick plant. i don't wish to offend anyone. like all things, peoples frame of reference is different.
How far do you want to commute? If you don't want to drive far, your best bet would probably be the Bloomsburg area. You could also try the Dallas/Back Mountain area, but that would be a bit longer of a commute. Although they do have more modern sub-divisions and a highly ranked School District.

Quote:
not really looking for my middle school age girls to take a field trip to hooters.

PA has 501 school districts, Bloomsburg School District is ranked 132 and Dallas School District is ranked 19. Either district will give your kids a good education.
http://www.schooldigger.com/go/PA/districtrank.aspx

Last edited by Lehigh Valley Native; 06-07-2011 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania