Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:55 AM

39 posts, read 53,086 times

Advertisements

dallas vs exeter vs. bloomsburg vs millville

i have two girls ages 7 & 5.

any opinions which is better or different suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Out of those choices, I would go with either Bloomsburg or Exeter. Bloomsburg because its a nice safe small town with a lot going on and a lot of amenities for its size. As long as you don't live near BU student housing, you'll have no problems (and even if you did live near the college, its just stupid Animal House kind of crap...drunk students puking and whatnot...no gang violence or anything like that). Exeter wouldn't be a bad choice because its a reasonably nice little town that's convenient to both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre.

Dallas isn't for me, because I'm just not into the McMansion keeping-up-with-the-Joneses soccer-mom kind of lifestyle. Millville I don't know much about other than that its rural.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:28 AM

thank you. relocating a family is difficult and your opinion being from the area really, really helps.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:13 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,913 times
Both Dallas and Bloomsburg are very nice, but Dallas is kinda of part of the greater Luzerne/Wilkes-Barre metro and Bloomsburg is a self-contained town/small city (I believe they still claim they are the only town in PA, which isn't true).

If you have the flexibility of either, Bloomsburg would probably my choice on where to raise my family, besides the hometown feel, the University keeps things fresh and brings positive development to the area. Helps with the NEPA's problem of youth/brain drain.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:25 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times
If my choice were between Dallas and Bloomsburg, I would pick Bloomsburg.

Not to mention, Bloomsburg isn't in Luzerne County, like Dallas, which is always as plus!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:43 PM

is there something wrong w/ luzerne county?

Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamorrall View Post
is there something wrong w/ luzerne county?
Corruption.....crooked judges that got kickbacks for every kid they put in a crony's juvenile detention center. Crooked school directors taking bribes for teaching jobs. County commissioner now behind bars for taking bribes. High property taxes since a reassessment a few years ago. You're better off in Columbia or Lackawanna County.....although you'd be better off with Columbia county since you'd be working in Berwick.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:53 PM

eew

Old 06-07-2011, 02:45 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Jamorrall, you are right, relocation is difficult, especially when children are involved. Where do you currently live?
We moved here from Stony Brook NY which is on Long Island. Our children are in High School, and the whole family has enjoyed the move, the lower cost of living, the friendly people and all of the recreational and cultural opportunities in the region.

I live in Luzerne County and I love it! The Dallas school district is very well thought of around here. Dallas is a very suburban area. Many people love it there.

Exeter is also in Luzerne County, and seems like a quiet small town. It is part or the Wyoming School District, which is not as highly rated as Dallas, but I have not heard anything bad. It seems a bit lower key than Dallas, in terms of suburban competition. Also, home prices are generally less expensive. We looked at a couple of homes there ourselves.

I do not know anything about Millville, and what I do know about Bloomsburg has already been said.

There are many other lovely places in Luzerne County. I am not sure what your price range is, or if you want to buy or rent.

Many young families also like Mountain Top, which is in Crestwood School District. There are many other options. Feel free to send me a DM if you want more information!

~ Sheena

Old 06-07-2011, 03:29 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,913 times
I wasn't trying to paint a bad picture of Dallas. Its a great place and I have great memories of doing things in and around there.

My reason for going for Bloomsburg is that its got everything you need, including a full 4 year college and its sort of self-sufficient. Dallas is basically still part of the great Wilkes-Barre metro.

Ricketts Glenn is between both, so you can't really go wrong (although Bloomsburg is closer to Knoebels Grove!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania