Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:27 PM

96 posts, read 167,474 times

Advertisements

Scranton named one of the "10 best places for starting over" by MSN

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:34 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,610,652 times
My thought... Dont believe everything you read, LOL

Old 06-15-2011, 10:02 PM

889 posts, read 2,559,805 times
I'm with JQP on this. Scranton and the Wyoming Valley have some positive things going for them. But as a place to start over is not what comes to mind.

California locales (SD, OC, LA, Nor Cal), and other West Coast cities (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver BC) and then Colorado areas (Boulder, Denver), ... these the proven, go to locales people move to when they want to reboot their lives and get a fresh start.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,242,002 times
You can get a "fresh start" anywhere, really, and it is typically easier to do so, believe it or not, in a place like Scranton because the cost-of-living is affordable, meaning those moving there with limited savings can find a menial job quickly and support themselves until they can get back onto solid footing in their lives.

This is the case with me in Pittsburgh. I moved here with some limited savings, quickly found work, found a very cheap 1-BR apartment, and I'm now well-poised for more gainful employment in my field. I'm expecting to hear back about a second job in the interim to help provide a better "cushion" in my budget until something better paying comes along. If I had moved from NoVA to NYC I'd be in a homeless shelter by now. Places like Scranton or Pittsburgh are great places to "start over" because of how cheap they are.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,746,539 times
Unfortunately, there seems to be way too many of the wrong element coming here to "start over." But that "starting over' involves some combination of welfare, section 8, public housing, or selling drugs.

I wish we'd get more people "starting over" for the right reasons.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
I'm with JQP on this. Scranton and the Wyoming Valley have some positive things going for them. But as a place to start over is not what comes to mind.

California locales (SD, OC, LA, Nor Cal), and other West Coast cities (Portland, Seattle, Vancouver BC) and then Colorado areas (Boulder, Denver), ... these the proven, go to locales people move to when they want to reboot their lives and get a fresh start.
I highly doubt California is a place to start over....one of the more expensive places to live in the country.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 AM

32 posts, read 66,909 times
Yeah the last place I'd want to start over is California

Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,168,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
...a place like Scranton because the cost-of-living is affordable...
I never understood this theory(nothing against you Paul). Besides low housing costs, I don't see other living costs in Scranton or WB that are cheaper than other areas in PA, except for Philly and I assume Pittsburgh. But with the low housing costs comes depressed wages, so it's really a wash. Unless you are on welfare, where your welfare check is the same if you live in Scranton or Philly, but in Scranton it will go further.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:24 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,057,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
I never understood this theory(nothing against you Paul). Besides low housing costs, I don't see other living costs in Scranton or WB that are cheaper than other areas in PA, except for Philly and I assume Pittsburgh. But with the low housing costs comes depressed wages, so it's really a wash. Unless you are on welfare, where your welfare check is the same if you live in Scranton or Philly, but in Scranton it will go further.

housing is not really that much lower--here you get houses(not half doubles)for 1000 and up--lower means that it is in a unsafe area or has multi problems(holes in walls,broken windows,no appliances)-----that same price down south gets you an airconditioned house with ALL appliances in a community setting with use of gyms and pool(if one does not come with the house) and in a nice area

Old 06-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
housing is not really that much lower--here you get houses(not half doubles)for 1000 and up--lower means that it is in a unsafe area or has multi problems(holes in walls,broken windows,no appliances)-----that same price down south gets you an airconditioned house with ALL appliances in a community setting with use of gyms and pool(if one does not come with the house) and in a nice area
Housing is a LOT lower here...you can still get good houses in good SAFE neighborhoods for under $100k here. Anywhere else, those prices would put you in an unliveable house in the ghetto.

No appliances? Why do you need a house to come with appliances? You sound like one of those people on those HGTV home shopping shows who turn up their noses at perfectly nice houses because they may not include stainless-steel appliances and granite countertops. Guess these people never heard of appliance stores.

I know some people might have rose-colored glasses on, but I think you wear sh*t-colored glasses when it comes to this area.....guess you're just a glass-half-empty kind of person. If its that bad here, and you can get so much more for your money elsewhere, why are you still living here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania