Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:43 PM

12 posts, read 122,233 times

Advertisements

Moved back to NEPA 5 years ago after living 6 years in Brooklyn, NY and FINALLY found a pizzeria I can recommended to my NYC friends and guests.
I don't know what it is about this place the operators are nice people who obviously care about what they serve, and the pies are fantastic. Large round all real mozzarella with a crispy, yet chewy crust and home made sauce! Check them out if your in North Scranton / Providence: Pehr's Pizza - 1929 N Main Ave Scranton

Anyone else have a favorite pizza spot in NEPA? I like Vincents of New York in Effort PA as well. Nice pie most of the time. I have sampled tons of shops and very few places make a good pie consistently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 07:44 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,517 times
Basilico's, between Circut City and Dick's in Dickson City.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:59 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
Hands down, the best is Revello's in Old Forge. To me, Old Forge pizza beats New York style pizza anyday, although NY pizza is good for a change once in a while....I will agree with CHS89, Basilico's is pretty good, and I didn't go in there expecting anything great, seeing that the place is in a strip mall of big box chain stores (I was expecting chain type pizza like Domino's or typical mall-food-court pizza, but I was hungry)...but I was surprised, it was good.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 AM

996 posts, read 3,278,008 times
I like any kind of pizza, because it means I'm not cooking dinner that night!

Old 08-09-2007, 10:23 AM

113 posts, read 414,807 times
I didn't know "Old Forge" style pizza existed before ten years ago. My husband is from Scranton, and we had been dating about 6 months when he brought me up from Maryland to the Scranton area for a weekend visit. He insisted on getting "a tray" of pizza from a place in Jessup called "The Library." Well, I had never heard of "trays" and didn't understand why the cheese and sauce appeared to be mixed together before baking. I thought it was an abomination, quite frankly, and called it "funny pizza."

Well, ten years later, and I not only like that style of pizza, I actually CRAVE it sometimes! I still enjoy my Pizza Hut pan pizza super supreme from time to time, but have developed quite a taste for "funny pizza."

Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 AM

The only way to order a pizza in and around Scranton is by the tray. People will look at you funny if you call it anything but a "tray of pizza." Around here, "pies" are made of apples, pumpkin, etc....not pizza.

Speaking Jessup and pizza, Colarusso's is very good pizza. There's also one near me on Main Ave in West Scranton.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 AM

1,251 posts, read 3,311,517 times
I've never understood the appeal of Old Forge style pizza. It tastes like bowling alley pizza to me. Not that bowling alley pizza is necessarily bad, and I love the oniony sauce, I just can't imagine driving 5 minutes out of my way for it, not to mention crossing state lines. Different strokes, I guess.

Pizza Hut should never ever be mentioned in a "best pizza" thread. Do they deep fry that stuff or what?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 AM

18 posts, read 80,134 times
In Pittston:

DeMuro's-- They changed their cheese and now it's like a really good version of Sbarro's! I lived in NY for 3 years, so I know what NY pizza is and this is the closest I've had.

Shandra's-- Finally stopped making pizza out of their basement and opened a shop. The homemade crust is TO DIE FOR! too bad it's rectangular though, but it's Pittston pizza, it's not Old Forge (yucky) or NY it's just different all around!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 AM

Sbarro's? Isn't Sbarro's pretty much chain-food-court pizza? There was a joke on "The Office" where Michael was in New York and ate at Sbarro and commented that he was eating "authentic New York Pizza."

New York pizza is only good when it is FRESH and HOT out of the oven, after mozzarella sits for a while, its like a piece of rubber. Give me that Revello's cheese sticking to the roof of my mouth anyday.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:36 AM

A unique pizza that does not fit the definition of New York, Old Forge, Chicago styles, etc, (but it is round) is Andy's Pizza in Peckville.....very similar to Andy's but in a square shape is Maroni's on St. Ann's St. in West Side. Both are excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania