Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 PM

908 posts, read 1,554,822 times

Advertisements

Before I start, I want to say this. If you are going to be childish, don't waste your time trolling.

Its OK to disagree, and explain why. Just do it politely. I'm really sick of adults behaving like children, and this forum has no shortage.

Anyway, I have heard this area has lots of haunting from too many different people for it to be a coincidence. People who don't even know each other, have no connection whatsoever, have told me and others very similar stories about ghosts, demons, black magic and the like.
One house on my block has had people leave abruptly many times. Not all, but many of the tenants have told me of dark figures, or little ghost boys, strange noises etc... One woman was so scared she left without getting her deposit. All different people who never met, saying the same thing.
The black magic stories are big here too. I've had many locals tell me & my husband, again, different folks, who do NOT interact, that there are evil witches here, and the place is cursed. They were very serious, some extremely terrified, and afraid to gie more details.

I've had visitors say they have an uneasy feeling when they enter the area. That's before encountering any cold, rude, unwelcoming locals. One guy my husband knows says the entire area is haunted, and he & his buddies even ghost hunt. I don't know how that works, but they visit haunted places in the area. One in Lake Ariel is often mentioned.

Whatever your beliefs, I think there are too many reports to write off all these people as quacks. Many are educated people, some where even great skeptics until coming here.
Does anyone know anything about this? Any other info? I know the house on my block with numerous tenants, has some strange occurrences, that can't be denied. Is this place cursed? Native American curse maybe? Whether you believe in it or not, share your stories please. Its interesting to see what others have heard, seen, or experienced in this dreary county, especially the Wilkes-Barre area.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 05:09 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
Before I start, I want to say this. If you are going to be childish, don't waste your time trolling.

Its OK to disagree, and explain why. Just do it politely. I'm really sick of adults behaving like children, and this forum has no shortage.

Anyway, I have heard this area has lots of haunting from too many different people for it to be a coincidence. People who don't even know each other, have no connection whatsoever, have told me and others very similar stories about ghosts, demons, black magic and the like.
One house on my block has had people leave abruptly many times. Not all, but many of the tenants have told me of dark figures, or little ghost boys, strange noises etc... One woman was so scared she left without getting her deposit. All different people who never met, saying the same thing.
The black magic stories are big here too. I've had many locals tell me & my husband, again, different folks, who do NOT interact, that there are evil witches here, and the place is cursed. They were very serious, some extremely terrified, and afraid to gie more details.

I've had visitors say they have an uneasy feeling when they enter the area. That's before encountering any cold, rude, unwelcoming locals. One guy my husband knows says the entire area is haunted, and he & his buddies even ghost hunt. I don't know how that works, but they visit haunted places in the area. One in Lake Ariel is often mentioned.

Whatever your beliefs, I think there are too many reports to write off all these people as quacks. Many are educated people, some where even great skeptics until coming here.
Does anyone know anything about this? Any other info? I know the house on my block with numerous tenants, has some strange occurrences, that can't be denied. Is this place cursed? Native American curse maybe? Whether you believe in it or not, share your stories please. Its interesting to see what others have heard, seen, or experienced in this dreary county, especially the Wilkes-Barre area.
Thanks in advance!

There is a house on Elizabeth St. That I left in a hurry after seeing the third floor. Then I googled the address and what I found confirmed my feelings.

We were also shown a house on Birch St where a brutal murder had taken place. I had never heard of it at the time. My RE agent knew of my interest in such topics. He and the seller's agent told me nothing. Just that there had been a murder there.

The seller, interestingly, would not enter the house! He paced outside when we looked through it. The second I entered, I felt drawn to the master bedroom. I felt an instant headache and and felt shortness of breath. Then I found out that a dentist had beaten his wife to death with barbells and choked her!

There is also the Smurl House in West Pittston.

There were made for TV movies about both of these. I'd love to go on a haunter tour of NEPA before we move! Send me a direct message.

There are some people who believe that the Valley is a vortex of paranormal activity. I can introduce you to them too.

There are tales of suicides and strange drownings in the Susquehanna. Actually there was one last July 4th! Have you heard of water babies? The thought of them makes me shudder!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There is a house on Elizabeth St. That I left in a hurry after seeing the third floor. Then I googled the address and what I found confirmed my feelings.

We were also shown a house on Birch St where a brutal murder had taken place. I had never heard of it at the time. My RE agent knew of my interest in such topics. He and the seller's agent told me nothing. Just that there had been a murder there.

The seller, interestingly, would not enter the house! He paced outside when we looked through it. The second I entered, I felt drawn to the master bedroom. I felt an instant headache and and felt shortness of breath. Then I found out that a dentist had beaten his wife to death with barbells and choked her!

There is also the Smurl House in West Pittston.

There were made for TV movies about both of these. I'd love to go on a haunter tour of NEPA before we move! Send me a direct message.

There are some people who believe that the Valley is a vortex of paranormal activity. I can introduce you to them too.

There are tales of suicides and strange drownings in the Susquehanna. Actually there was one last July 4th! Have you heard of water babies? The thought of them makes me shudder!
No I have not heard of these. Water Babies sounds scary. I'm going to ask my husband to get more info from his buddy. He is all into this stuff. He even has meter/detectors. Too many people have said this area has paranormal activity going on. I'll DM I get the info. I think he even sells the meters. I may just get one from him. What is this Water Babies thing? So creepy sounding.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:25 PM

The dentist story sounded familiar. I just realized one of his relatives or neighbors is my sister's patient. I have to check these movies out. Do you know the names? I know a Lake Ariel house was on "A Haunting", and my husband's buddy was going to visit. Something weird happened and he backed out last minute. He didn't give details, but seemed spooked.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM

Waterbabies are spirits - not nice ones, in local folk lore that take the form of a child or a baby that is drowning and lure people to their death. The person thinks that a baby is drowning, jumps into the Susquie and drowns himself! Or suddenly the person has an urge to kill themselves. When they are not even depressed.

People who have been rescued have said that they "had no idea why they jumped into the river". That they just had a sudden urge to jump.

The movie is "Murder at 79 Birch" where the dentist kills his wife. The family still lives in the area so I don't want to post the last name. If you google "Murder" "Wilkes-Barre" "Dentist" and "Birch St." I'm sure it will come up.

The Smurl house is on Chase St in West Pittston. The movie is available online. It was produced by the same people who do "A Haunting" and was investigated by Ed and Lorraine Warren.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:32 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,549 times
There are a great many Wiccans in the valley, and the uninformed label them as evil or devil worshipers, which is very far from the truth. I think thats where some of the stories and speculation come from.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 PM

John I was not referring to Wiccans at all. In fact, some of the information that I have gleaned about the nature of the Valley and the larger than normal incidence of paranormal activity in the area.

They are not evil people at all. However, many of them think that this area "has something" that is not quite right going on in the spiritual realm.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
John I was not referring to Wiccans at all. In fact, some of the information that I have gleaned about the nature of the Valley and the larger than normal incidence of paranormal activity in the area.

They are not evil people at all. However, many of them think that this area "has something" that is not quite right going on in the spiritual realm.
that's true---i remember something about some sort of vortex in the olyphant area--anyone recall the details?????

Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM

OK, I'm busy as ever with 2 days left before school break, but this lovely thread drew me in again,lol. I'll catch up on DM's Friday.

Now, I know there are MANY Wiccans here. They don't like "black magic", and warn against it. They tell me something about a law of getting it back 10fold? I don't remember exactly, but you are NOT supposed to use it to harm others, and never use it to control another's free will because you will get worse coming back to you. The spells also may not work as intended, and cause even more chaos along with the 10fold(or is it 3-fold law?).
Can someone explain the vortex more?

I do believe the place is a hotbed for paranormal activity, and reminds me of eerie, dead towns in movies, where locals are unwelcoming, and new-comers never stay long. There are just too many things wrong here, and as I said, I and everyone I know says they feel a heaviness, and tightness in their chest when coming here. As soon as I leave county lines (going east)I notice a difference, as if I awoke from a bad dream.
My husband and I were thinking along the lines of this place being under an Native American curse. Seems plausible since Natives were not treated very well, and many tribes would conjure "spirits" to exact revenge on those who harmed them.
The research I did on Water babies, says it has its roots in Native American culture. That one sounds so scary to me.
I have so much to do by Friday, but will come back to this with any info I find.
Maybe we should start a group about Paranormal Activity in NEPA?
Anyone interested?
Good night guys!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,549 times
Ask around about Joe Bosak (Bosack)?? used to do readings.. but was rumored to be on the darker side... he was from mid valley area..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania