U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 01:41 PM

16 posts, read 58,972 times

Advertisements

Looking at buying a home in the Poconos what area should We look at we have 3 Small children to think about so we need it to be SAFE
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:24 PM

755 posts, read 2,192,431 times
depends on what part of the Poconos you want and what kind of work commute you have. If you're thinking a safe area for your kids, good school system, etc. then I'd recommend the Milford/Shohola/Dingman area. Delaware Valley has an awesome school system and I can't complain about any bad areas in any of these towns that I know of.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,650,701 times
Stay far away from Mt. Pocono and A Pocono Country Place aka APCP...both areas are close to each other and APCP brings that area down...but as ff18wife said your budget, commute, etc., will dictate what your looking for...have you been out here at all?? If so, has it been for an extended period of time or just weekend?? If you can I would suggest spending a week out here so you can get an idea of the area and, if possible, schedule some time that week to meet with a realtor for the area(s) your interested in or that may have caught your eye...the choices are many...you just have to now what your looking for...and most important of all stay within your budget...just because you can buy a McMansion that someone else lost due to foreclosure you need to understand why they lost the house in the first place...was it because they got in over their heads, or because of the drop in real estate values, etc.,...many people are enticed to buy foreclosures, short sales or what have you but forget to factor in the heating costs in winter to keep that McMansion nice and toasty during winter, or to keep it cool in summer, property taxes in some areas can be astronomical for that McMansion, trash pickup fee's because since your not in the city anymore it doesn't get picked up free, on-going maintenance (can't call the super anymore when you have problems), snow plowing in winter if you don't have your own snow blower ($25 - $50 depending on length of driveway), etc.,...so do your homework and research research research...members here can also give you some good advice as most of us have been either coming out here for years or have finally made the move (me in both cases...been coming out here since '96, moved out here in '07)...the more research you do the happier you'll be in the end when you do find a place to your liking...good luck!!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 PM

24 posts, read 73,857 times
definitely check out Lakeview Estates in Gouldsboro. There are very nice homes, moderate homes and even land if you'd like to build your own. The main realtor that covers LVE is a bit unresponsive, so shoot me an email back and I can make some recommendations if you decide to check LVE out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania