Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:30 PM

734 posts, read 1,632,781 times

Advertisements

Pocono Farms has 2 communities. One is pretty nice, the other is slummy. The only thing is, in either one, you are VERY close to PCP. The schools are the same. So, same kids that live in PCP. Ghetto trash, gang members, sewer rats, bullies. Your shopping will be with the people that live there. Stay away from that area, completely!!!!!!! When I lived there, I drove my son to school and picked him up every day-even if that meant he had to wait while I worked a little late. No way was he gonna ride on those horrible buses. It is down right scary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 08:46 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,126,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
Pocono Farms has 2 communities. One is pretty nice, the other is slummy. The only thing is, in either one, you are VERY close to PCP. The schools are the same. So, same kids that live in PCP. Ghetto trash, gang members, sewer rats, bullies. Your shopping will be with the people that live there. Stay away from that area, completely!!!!!!! When I lived there, I drove my son to school and picked him up every day-even if that meant he had to wait while I worked a little late. No way was he gonna ride on those horrible buses. It is down right scary!

Pocono Farms and Pocono Farms East Have Nothing to do with one another .. One is a country club community , The other (Farms East ) Is Just like PCP with its Renters and it also has No amenity's ..)

I lived in Pocono Farms for 5 yrs and loved it ..(it was in the early 90's Though )

Old 08-15-2011, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,980 times
Good grief. I'm looking at a house in Gouldsboro and one in Moscow to rent. The commute doesn't look *that* bad. This has been a very frustrating ride. Cross your fingers that one of them allows pets. Cuz if one of them does, I am hooking into it.

What makes me the sickest is that most of the houses that are for rent in PCP and PFE are nice looking homes! All those nice homes, with no one wanting to live there. Why can't the city DO something about it? Ugh.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CominghometoPA View Post
Good grief. I'm looking at a house in Gouldsboro and one in Moscow to rent. The commute doesn't look *that* bad. This has been a very frustrating ride. Cross your fingers that one of them allows pets. Cuz if one of them does, I am hooking into it.

What makes me the sickest is that most of the houses that are for rent in PCP and PFE are nice looking homes! All those nice homes, with no one wanting to live there. Why can't the city DO something about it? Ugh.
The city cant do anything ..Its a Community .. Its their way or the highway .. As you can tell by the amount of empty Houses ..Most people took the highway ..

Old 08-16-2011, 07:29 AM

40 posts, read 71,298 times
I have a home in Pocono Springs in Gouldsboro. We love it there. Quiet and peaceful. You may find it remote for shopping, etc. We are used to it now. Moscow may be closer to shopping.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elncttr View Post
I have a home in Pocono Springs in Gouldsboro. We love it there. Quiet and peaceful. You may find it remote for shopping, etc. We are used to it now. Moscow may be closer to shopping.
Nice place . I built a house in there 15 yrs ago.. Its peaceful in there..( It was then.)

Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 PM

734 posts, read 1,632,781 times
Those homes you think look nice in PCP are usually built with sub-standard materials and poorly insulated. All appliances and carpet, etc., are the cheapest. Alot were built before building codes! Did you know that? NO building codes! Plus they are all on 1/4 acre or less so you can hear everything from the neighbors house. That is NOT what I call country living!

Old 08-20-2011, 05:48 PM

405 posts, read 1,277,568 times
There are several rentals in Thornhurst ( about 12 miles from the Army base ).
I know of two military families renting nice homes in that area.
Can't say what the costs are.
My wife takes our kids to the spouse of one family to get their hair cut.
( she's a hair stylist and does some p/t babysitting ).
Check with local realtors when you get here to get specifics.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,787,590 times
Military as well(Ohh Rahh), I am in somewhat the same boat as yourself only I've research the areas as well placed eyes on the communities. I would like to know how your transfer faired. Did you find a home,did you utilize base housing,how are your neighbors and the schools.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CominghometoPA View Post
How about Pocono Farms? Is that still considered ghetto?
In short yes. It looks nice from the outside and if you drive around a bit it still looks nice, but that place has plenty of problems. You would be better off in Scranton, Dunmore or North Pocono areas and commute using I-380. Its a very easy drive but at times is tricky in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania