Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 08:41 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCityMan View Post
The best way to prepare for a hurricane....fighting on an internet message board.
LMAO. I though George was being really nice give advice to people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
head for the hills--get out the rowboats----uh--wait---we are NOT on the jersey shore----btw--was here for agnes and helped in wb---also rode out 2 category 3 and 1 cat 4 hurricane in a home 2 miles from the gulf---panicking is not necessary---but then again fla can handle rain and wind--not sure about people here nor the multi old falling down homes,trees and light poles
Annie, i did read it again and you posted this post which started it.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 PM

708 posts, read 954,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Annie, i did read it again and you posted this post which started it.
Thanks sues1 for going back. Now that it has been pointed out, I do not see anything bad about this post. Some people are just too sensitive.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 PM

734 posts, read 1,635,751 times
Preparation on LI: Started Thursday-full tank of gas in car, batteries, water, food. Friday- brought in everything not tied down, started to fill bags with ice for cooler when power is out, got a can of gas for grill, got out all the candles and flashlights. Saturday- made sure all laundry was done, dishwasher was clean, vacuumed, put vehicles in garage, made some food that can be reheated on grill and made a batch of brownies, filled many buckets with water, filled the tub with water. Took a late shower.
Does that sound like panic? Nooooo....... It is preparation, pure and simple and that is what George was advising. Thank you, George! You are right!

Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
head for the hills--get out the rowboats----uh--wait---we are NOT on the jersey shore----btw--was here for agnes and helped in wb---also rode out 2 category 3 and 1 cat 4 hurricane in a home 2 miles from the gulf---panicking is not necessary---but then again fla can handle rain and wind--not sure about people here nor the multi old falling down homes,trees and light poles
Annie, this was your first post on this thread. It was neither helpful nor friendly. It reeked of sarcasm and pettiness.

If you wanted to be helpful you could have given your fellow NEPA'ers tips on what to do during hurricanes instead of trying to paint us as ignorant, backwards nervous nellies.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCityMan View Post
The best way to prepare for a hurricane....fighting on an internet message board.
LOL! It passes the time!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:55 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Got my van loaded with tools , as soon as this ends Im heading out to get my piece of the 100 million in damages they say the hurricane is going to cause . Roof repairs will be staggering in some areas .

Old 08-28-2011, 06:58 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Anything happening in Carbondale area?

Old 08-28-2011, 07:19 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Anything happening in Carbondale area?

Nothing but Rain and a little wind in Northern Wayne County ..

Old 08-28-2011, 07:40 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Here in Forty Fort, there's a lot of rain. There are a lot of wind gusts. I woke up at 4:20AM and made coffee. Newspaper hit the porch at 4:30 (God bless the carrier(s)) Power went out at 5:50. No lights, no internet, no phone, no pool, no pets. wait...what?...Oh. Okay...
Reading the paper by flashlight/candlelight is less than optimal. Thankful, everything was back by 8:30.

Three h.u.g.e. maples on the end of my street have started falling apart. Lots of leaves, lots of branches, and a very large limb that fell on a neighbor's car. In her driveway. It's not even her tree. I put all my loose stuff - garbage cans, recycling bin, etc. - in the garage on Friday. I have food. I have water. I have a gas stove, so I can cook if the power is lost again. I pay attention when I'm told to "prepare". Let the scoffers laugh. It didn't cost me anything and I rest easy knowing that I have candles, flashlights, batteries and whatever I need to ride out the storm. If a tree falls on my house, I can't prepare for that eventuality, but at least I know I did what I could.

My prayers are with you guys who are having more problems than a little lost electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania