Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:07 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I think this position is why things don't change. Folks don't want to speak up when there is a problem. The status quo will remain unless a group effort decides to stand up for what's right.
I think your right quiet life. If the majority worked at making the place safe and secure it could certainly help. If I was living there I'd be in the "better safe then sorry" group.
It is sad what has become of that development. To think at one time I was taken by a realtor into homes there. I think it was early on and before all ...... broke loose.
The beautiful Poconos doesn't need this kind of place. A melting pot of crime and drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 PM

452 posts, read 682,013 times
Summering, I must say after reading several of your posts, I feel like breaking out the guitar and belting out a verse or two of Kumbaya. The sad truth is that the melting pot of criminals and drug dealers turn the safe than sorry people into the dead and buried people. I'm not an advocate of apathy, but to rid an area of the unwanted scum takes a little more than speaking up.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:50 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
Summering, I must say after reading several of your posts, I feel like breaking out the guitar and belting out a verse or two of Kumbaya. The sad truth is that the melting pot of criminals and drug dealers turn the safe than sorry people into the dead and buried people. I'm not an advocate of apathy, but to rid an area of the unwanted scum takes a little more than speaking up.
= agree 100%...takes more than what most people think...especially when dealing with criminal elements who the capability to have revenge taken upon those who stand up against them...either they seek themselves or they can find those who are more than willing to do it for them at the right price...is it worth getting killed over for a neighborhood or community that will not change unless law enforcement steps up?? I don't think so!!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:48 AM

3,971 posts, read 2,352,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
= agree 100%...takes more than what most people think...especially when dealing with criminal elements who the capability to have revenge taken upon those who stand up against them...either they seek themselves or they can find those who are more than willing to do it for them at the right price...is it worth getting killed over for a neighborhood or community that will not change unless law enforcement steps up?? I don't think so!!
Yes, it does take more. However, I agree with Summering. I live here so I don't want to become a nomad looking for good schools and safe areas. You'll become like the vikings or mayans..i.e moving all over the place. Like the vikings and mayans, you'll eventually be wiped out. I digress.

This particular drug dealer in my development was trying to make things rough for me. However, he is down to a barely audible whisper nowadays. Thanks to my efforts. My only problem is he is still a drug dealer in my development. I told management about him and they aren't doing anything about it. He is keeping to himself, selling drugs somewhere else. Him, and others like him, have more to lose in the long run. That's why I say, people shouldn't tolerate criminals in their communities. In my case, I do my best to make them uncomfortable. I will not hesitate to call the state police or my local politicians. C'mon people!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
My only problem is he is still a drug dealer in my development. I told management about him and they aren't doing anything about it. He is keeping to himself, selling drugs somewhere else. Him, and others like him, have more to lose in the long run. That's why I say, people shouldn't tolerate criminals in their communities. In my case, I do my best to make them uncomfortable. I will not hesitate to call the state police or my local politicians. C'mon people!
Setup a hidden webcam and record his actions (if you can)...and send it to the authorities telling them that this goes on with the knowledge of the communitie's management and they do nothing about it...

Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 5,092 times
Bravo!! quiet life may your efforts continue in increase your investment you call home. Charmed hour as a neighbor and a possible friend to you and all others understand the only thing that dealers or wannabe gang bangers need to prosper is for good people to do nothing. Trust me we have wannabees that could not cut in the real games of NYC and have caring parents who have attempted to relocate them to a better place. Everyone wants to be a part of something it is not the gangs skilled public relations team that recruit our youth it's the lack of community involvement give a kid an option. Coach a sports team, science team be a mentor and enjoy the ripple effect. Stop doing nothing !! I painted my home & deck last spring and this spring my neighbor just ask me what materials & how much, I will not only share this info I will roll up my sleeves and give a helping hand. When a community is down an ounce of help is greater than a pound of preaching. So do something today to make a difference. Thx.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:25 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCKC99 View Post
Bravo!! quiet life may your efforts continue in increase your investment you call home. Charmed hour as a neighbor and a possible friend to you and all others understand the only thing that dealers or wannabe gang bangers need to prosper is for good people to do nothing. Trust me we have wannabees that could not cut in the real games of NYC and have caring parents who have attempted to relocate them to a better place. Everyone wants to be a part of something it is not the gangs skilled public relations team that recruit our youth it's the lack of community involvement give a kid an option. Coach a sports team, science team be a mentor and enjoy the ripple effect. Stop doing nothing !! I painted my home & deck last spring and this spring my neighbor just ask me what materials & how much, I will not only share this info I will roll up my sleeves and give a helping hand. When a community is down an ounce of help is greater than a pound of preaching. So do something today to make a difference. Thx.
I live in the Bronx, and while it's a very "safe" area and we have our share of things happening. I once called the cops about an issue and came out the next morning to 4 slashed tires and all the windows on my car broken. Said issue was relatively minor. I shudder to think about what happens to many people who report far more serious problems and are more violently retaliated against.

As for "doing nothing", I actually do volunteer work with a program that deals with adolescent survivors of sexual abuse, I volunteer with 2 animal shelters, and have 2 dogs trained as "helper dogs" that I bring to 2 local rest homes. On top of that, I am law abiding citizen. I'd say I "do my share" to enhance my community and provide support across the board generationally.

When I finally relocate out to the Poconos I intend to continue offering my time to my new community.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,621 times
APCP has many good qualities. I know many people that live there and love it. It is kept clean. The gardens always look beautiful. The lakes and beaches are nice.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy K View Post
APCP has many good qualities. I know many people that live there and love it. It is kept clean. The gardens always look beautiful. The lakes and beaches are nice.
There's probably also some people who like living in Camden.....they have a nice waterfront, and aquarium and baseball stadium that are all kept very nicely.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 PM

another reason APCP is a dump for big city garbage:

Man charged with attempted rape of girl, 15, at A Pocono Country Place | PoconoRecord.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania