Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
So God wants people flooded out of their homes and to cause misery in people's lives?
Maybe He controls the weather? I don't know. I'm Agnostic. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 06:56 PM

202 posts, read 568,004 times
Default You can get

some fantastic deals on houses in Clarks Summit now, its shocking how low some have gone, I'm in the process of getting mine appraised and was shocked at what was available, just hope mine comes in at the price I need.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:11 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,017 times
"What else would explain why the valley has been facing so many more floods in recent years than prior decades other than irresponsible growth in higher elevations?"

How about several record rainfall events in rapid succession?
"Not to get tangential, but what is causing our weather patterns to become so much more erratic recently?"

I doubt the paved surfaces in the Back Mountain caused the recent hurricanes. Perhaps they influence runoff, but they did not cause the storm. And by recently, what do you mean? 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, 100 years, 1000 years, or a million years?

Old 09-25-2011, 12:37 AM

135 posts, read 230,175 times
The development of the higher elevations may have contributed to small, minor amounts of damage but not in any way shape or form to what steelcityrising is trying to sell in his propaganda campaign. I'm curious what area the OP is moving from... That will help to provide useful info. to compare to the OP's hometown and NEPA. The most common questions about NEPA are "Are there any jobs here?" and "Does the sun ever shine here?"

Old 09-25-2011, 01:10 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyfam4 View Post
Newbie here. My husband just accepted a job in Scranton and will look for a home before the rest of the family comes up. I've read some great stuff from these forums on Clarks Summit. But now that we're dealing with realtors trying to "sell us their spots" I want/need to be filled with non-partial information from people who live there. I have a sophomore and 3rd grader and schools and safety are our number one priority. I want safe schools where education is important. I've heard Albington Heights is good. Any comments?? I also heard North Pocono's are good... but I've read in a forum to stay away from the Pocono's areas due to transient traffic and overcrowded schools. He starts work Oct 10, & we're looking for no more than a 30 minute drive to work (in Scranton). I can't wait to move to PA; I LOVE snow and the friendly northerners!!
C'mon guys - you've got a nice new poster here who is asking for serious advice on where to live and you go for SteelCityRisings off topic comment?

Back on topic please.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:46 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
imho--i still like the hollywood/greenridge section of dunmore(try ruddy realty--they may even have short term rentals while you look)---or try elmhurst/moscow(more countryish----both have good schools----avoid throop/olyphant if you can,but jessup/peckville are ok but i cannot recommend their school system

Old 09-26-2011, 07:30 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
imho--i still like the hollywood/greenridge section of dunmore(try ruddy realty--they may even have short term rentals while you look)---or try elmhurst/moscow(more countryish----both have good schools----avoid throop/olyphant if you can,but jessup/peckville are ok but i cannot recommend their school system
I think they are part of Valley View?.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyfam4 View Post
Newbie here. My husband just accepted a job in Scranton and will look for a home before the rest of the family comes up. I've read some great stuff from these forums on Clarks Summit. But now that we're dealing with realtors trying to "sell us their spots" I want/need to be filled with non-partial information from people who live there. I have a sophomore and 3rd grader and schools and safety are our number one priority. I want safe schools where education is important. I've heard Albington Heights is good. Any comments?? I also heard North Pocono's are good... but I've read in a forum to stay away from the Pocono's areas due to transient traffic and overcrowded schools. He starts work Oct 10, & we're looking for no more than a 30 minute drive to work (in Scranton). I can't wait to move to PA; I LOVE snow and the friendly northerners!!
While I can't say how many jobs there are here, I can attest to the fact that the sun does, indeed, shine upon occasion.

The Wyoming Area SD has a good reputation and is within your 30-minute-commute window. While West Pittston did have some disastrous flooding in the last month, the city was not, as some would have you believe, decimated. There were many areas that took no water at all. The boroughs of Wyoming, West Wyoming and Exeter are also part of the Wyoming Area SD. Most of the housing stock is well-established, many Victorians in the mix, although there are some few pockets of new construction.

I realize you asked about Clarks Summit in particular, but doesn't mean you shouldn't consider other nice areas as well.

In the above towns, you wouldn't be more than five minutes from three supermarkets, none of which would require driving through grid-lock. Minutes from there, on the other side of the Susquehanna, you'd find all the big-box shopping you could ever need or want.

I have no agenda, just thought you sounded a bit disenchanted with Clarks Summit and the homes you were being offered there.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
While I can't say how many jobs there are here, I can attest to the fact that the sun does, indeed, shine upon occasion.

The Wyoming Area SD has a good reputation and is within your 30-minute-commute window. While West Pittston did have some disastrous flooding in the last month, the city was not, as some would have you believe, decimated. There were many areas that took no water at all. The boroughs of Wyoming, West Wyoming and Exeter are also part of the Wyoming Area SD. Most of the housing stock is well-established, many Victorians in the mix, although there are some few pockets of new construction.

I realize you asked about Clarks Summit in particular, but doesn't mean you shouldn't consider other nice areas as well.

In the above towns, you wouldn't be more than five minutes from three supermarkets, none of which would require driving through grid-lock. Minutes from there, on the other side of the Susquehanna, you'd find all the big-box shopping you could ever need or want.

I have no agenda, just thought you sounded a bit disenchanted with Clarks Summit and the homes you were being offered there.
Good post.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 AM

17 posts, read 24,933 times
Thanks TooBusyToday for the help in redirecting the comments... I shied away when my post turned to religion instead of its intended need. As for Mike02 and Mike, your posts were great. Yes, I'm looking at CS for the Abington Heights School district, but I've also been given some really good prep and private school information... just complicating my research even further. This virtual research is going to take a while, but I like to be loaded up with information for when our realtor tries to sway us. I love the idea of living close to Wegmans!! I'm a Buffolonian and truly miss Wegmans!! One thing I love about living north is how neighbors are brought together during weather disasters and storms, from your posts of flooding and snow, I sure hope this is going to be a good ol American bonding situation, in the time of need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania