Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:02 AM

786 posts, read 1,592,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Local passenger rail advocates are educating a new generation of elected officials about efforts to restore service between New York and northeastern Pennsylvania, as New Jersey Transit begins preliminary work on a 7.3-mile stretch in the decades-old project. Brush clearing along an old right-of-way between Port Morris and Andover, N.J., has been authorized for the $551 million segment previously approved
.http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...31/-1/NEWS0908
Quote:
NJTransit expects actual construction to begin by the end of the summer. About 21 miles of missing track must be restored in New Jersey. The rail bridge across the Delaware River at Water Gap needs renovation, and a new rail station and parking lot in East Stroudsburg must be built before passenger service into the Poconos is a reality.

I took this from the Pocono Record, February 2011. It sounds like there used to be a train to NYC in the past? So there's no train now, but is it true that they're restoring a previous train bed to NYC? I'm reading it will be a high speed rail. I feel like I'm caught up in a local myth, similar to the long blog about Centralia having a bustling downtown, hotels, etc. Is this train thing a joke or are they really working on it? That would be a huge boom for Scranton if it were true wouldn't it?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-14-2011 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: fixed copyright - please post link and a snippet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
The new sign on the Central Scranton Expressway?

Old 10-14-2011, 11:28 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,093,594 times
Its not a myth, but its a long way from a reality and will never be "high speed". They can plan and proclaim that its going to happen and they have been for decades, but I highly doubt that it will ever be a reality in my lifetime.

Honestly the only ones that want the train are those that want to move here from NJ and NY and commute. most residents here don't care or want it.

The train will lead to higher taxes and essentially Scranton and NEPA will be turned into a suburb of NJ with the same taxes if it ever opens.

Mr. Yuk you have lived here in Scranton for a while now and you can honestly say that you think the city is doing better?

Its not doom and gloom, its reality and it is what it is.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
There are gangs in Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. But it's not inner city Philadelphia either.

There is no train service here and I would be quite angry with REA who said such a blatant lie. I wouldn't discourage anyone from moving to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. I think there are more positives than negatives. But the negatives do exist. I think the degree to which they exist is the real point of contention here.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:58 PM

207 posts, read 284,554 times
I really don't think there is organized gang chapters in Scranton. Like I mentioned, there may be some guys from certain gangs that slither their way into the S/WB area but I highly doubt there is a full blown invasion.

I may just see if differently, but a bunch of kids running around acting "hood" isn't a gang to me. Just sounds like a bunch of idiots. Just because some thug is walking around with a big red t-shirt on doesn't make them a blood. Not trying to defend anyone.. if they're scumbags, they're scumbags and I'd be the first to agree and enforce that statement. The guy that got arrested at the Sun in "Operation Sunset" or whatever was apparantly gang related, but he was here on "business" from the Bronx.
But hell, maybe I am wrong.I don't necessarily go around sleuthing around trying to find out, but if there actually is a hometown actual gang, I'd like to know just for reference. I just take the term "gang" very loosely. Mainly because I've seen police later a group of skateboarders because they skateboard and smoke marijuana. Or the freaks that used to walk around Scranton in clown makeup and black clothes. You'd see them at the Steamtown mall quite often a few years ago.

Also I did find it kind of funny this realtor mentioned a train. Not sure what possessed them to make that kind of bold statement.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Mr. Yuk you have lived here in Scranton for a while now and you can honestly say that you think the city is doing better?
I've lived here 9 years...and no its not doing better, but crime-wise, I think its about the same. I don't feel any more unsafe now than I did 9 years ago. The city's financial shape is getting worse....I'm more afraid of the "gang" at city hall than I am some clown walking around with his hat on backwards and his underwear showing.... Because at this point, I've been "robbed" by more people with Irish last names wearing suits than by guys from the hood selling drugs.

Its not Beverly Hills, but its not Reading either.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:24 PM

Didn't they just have trials for the two guys that EXECUTED a man and dumped his body on West Mtn because of their gang?

Also in the last 16 years my neighborhood has changed and there is more crime then I have ever seen, the minute that we drop our guard in any neighborhood they will take over.

In the last few months I have interrupted and and stopped close to a dozen drug deals on my street, IN FRONT of my house no less.....They don't seem to like it when I inform them that they are on camera and I have their license plate numbers and faces on a hard drive....

Old 10-14-2011, 05:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
.First work begins on Poconos-New York rail line | PoconoRecord.com

I took this from the Pocono Record, February 2011. It sounds like there used to be a train to NYC in the past? So there's no train now, but is it true that they're restoring a previous train bed to NYC? I'm reading it will be a high speed rail. I feel like I'm caught up in a local myth, similar to the long blog about Centralia having a bustling downtown, hotels, etc. Is this train thing a joke or are they really working on it? That would be a huge boom for Scranton if it were true wouldn't it?
The PA side has stalled , with Just about every Rail project in the state. But then again when it comes to building things in PA , the state tends to lag on every project. The Jersey Side is well underway to at least Andover , which is considered the hard part....then it will be easy in terms of ROW and track construction. A Few Bridges need to be overhauled , but other then that nothing huge needs to be done. 90% of this project is on the Jersey Side. Same with the now on hold Lehigh Service and West Trenton Extension. I don't think will see anything extending / restored into PA intill the Mid 2020s , mostly do to the politicians....and the way PA funds things.

There really isn't any Opposition to this for anyone . with the exception of the Anti-Rail / Pro-car people and the Eco people who are afraid of the sprawl that will explode with these projects. Every town and city that has a Rail line that connects to Urban Jersey , Morris County or NYC seems to be having a Urban Renewal boom and seems to be the better towns to live in general terms. Since PA does not have a Smart Growth Policy in place , I don't know what what will happen in terms of Redevelopment. I won't be as nice as NJ or NY which have statewide Urban / Suburban Growth policies. But that also demands on the city or town that wants or gets the development. As for the people who whine and moan about the taxes going up , unfortunately this is a part of life when you live in a Megapolis. Will the train cause flat out sprawl and make things worse , yes unless PA implements a Smart Growth policy. If PA passes a Policy then the Rail line will not cause that much sprawl if any in some parts. If you had a Smart Growth Policy you would see Developers eye Scranton , Stroudsburg and East Stroudsburg instead of the other towns and cities and the sprawl boom would be low.

As for High Speed Rail , no this would not be a High Speed line , but a Dual Corridor carrying Freight and Passenger services , with Local and Intercity Express trains similar to the Keystone service which is very popular in SEPA. The Max speed on this line would be 90mph with 70mph average for the most part , although some curves are limited to 40mph. This line might be electrified in the future and will be extended to Binghamton and Syracuse one day with a spur to Elmira. NY state is waited for PA to get with the program and fund this project , so they can proceed with there's and a few freight enhancements.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/Tracks_on_Cut-Off_-_Sept_2011IMG_4098.JPG (broken link)

All the projects that will be completed by or underway in the first 5 years of 2020s in the NE Megapolis , some have been placed into budgets for engineering and construction preps later this decade , a few have started and some are almost finished.

Light Rail or Subway
Electrified Commuter Rail
Diesel Commuter Rail

Line Name - State Served - Length - stations - Ridership estimates

New Haven - Springfield line - CT/MA - 60.5 miles - 12 stations - 45,000
Gateway Access - NJ/NY - 4 miles - 3 stations - 140,000
Phase 1 Lackawanna line - NJ/PA - 195 miles - 25 stations - 15,000
Penn Station New Haven line Access - NY - 19 Miles - 5 stations - 30,000
Penn Station Hudson line Access - NY - 12 miles - 3 stations - 15,000
Danbury line extension to New Milford - CT - 15 miles - 2 stations - 5,000
Bayfront Light Rail Extension - NJ - 0.4 mile - 1 station - 25,000
Newport / Fall River line - 80 miles - MA - 20 stations - 35,000
Stoughton / New Bedford line - MA - 55 miles - 15 stations - 20,000
Cape Cod line - MA - 90 miles - 22 stations - 25,000

Wickford JCT / Kingston line - RI - 20 miles - 10 stations - 15,000
Quonset line - RI - 5 miles - 2 stations - 4,500
Woonsocket line - RI/MA - 43 miles - 12 stations - 15,000
Northampton / Brattleboro line - MA/VT - 60 miles - 10 stations - 15,000

East Side Access - NY - 3 miles - 1 station - 150,000
Penn line extension to Wilmington - MD/DE - 20 miles - 5 stations - 8,500

Millville / Glassboro light Rail line - NJ - 42 miles - 21 stations - 30,000
MOM Rail Network - NJ - 85 miles - 35 stations - 140,000
56 Trolley - PA - 8 miles - 20 stations - 50,000
23 Trolley - PA - 10 miles - 25 stations - 65,000
Baltimore Red line - MD - 25 miles - 20 stations - 65,000
Purple line Light Rail - MD - 19 miles - 21 stations - 50,000
Metro Silver line - DC/VA - 30 miles - 11 stations - 90,000
DC Streetcar network - DC - 45 miles - 60 stations - 120,000
Phase 1 Second Avenue Subway - NY - 3 miles - 12 stations - 140,000
7 line Extension to Westside - NY - 3 miles - 3 stations - 55,000
Arlington / Alexandria Streetcars - VA - 45 miles - 60 stations - 120,000
PATH EWR - NJ - 3 miles - 2 stations - 12,000
Green line extension to Somerville - MA - 4 miles - 8 stations - 70,000

Northern Branch Light Rail - NJ - 12 miles - 9 stations - 25,000

Last edited by DarkWolf; 10-14-2011 at 06:35 PM..

Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 AM

207 posts, read 284,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Didn't they just have trials for the two guys that EXECUTED a man and dumped his body on West Mtn because of their gang?

Also in the last 16 years my neighborhood has changed and there is more crime then I have ever seen, the minute that we drop our guard in any neighborhood they will take over.

In the last few months I have interrupted and and stopped close to a dozen drug deals on my street, IN FRONT of my house no less.....They don't seem to like it when I inform them that they are on camera and I have their license plate numbers and faces on a hard drive....
Yep, but I think one of those guys was from Hazleton. The other one was some high school punk who was allegedly gang affiliated. Again though, an affiliation doesn't make me believe there is actual "gang turf" in Scranton. If some officers advised otherwise, please share, I'm sure some people would be interested to know. To me the people with gang affiliations in thsi area are just stragglers who either couldn't hack it in their own cities or they are just losers trying to expand their illegal business.

Also out of curiosity when you interrupt these deals, are you calling the police first or are you just warning the offenders? If they're getting caught because of you, then I praise it. I'd just hope you aren't chasing them off for the time being.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:04 PM

Calling the police has never come of anything, period. The dept is so short on shifts that by the time that anyone gets here, everything is over and done with and all parties are gone.

Even when I just watch and wait for the police they arrive 20mins later and its all over by then. They have priority calls and drug deals are low on a shorthanded shifts list of priority calls.

So far any and all that have been politely asked to leave the neighborhood have not come back so I'm fine with that. Every neighborhood has to be proactive, especially now with the police force being shorthanded and understaffed. Hence the Hyde Park Crime Watch group being formed.

If you don't stand your ground and refuse to back down it will be lost to those that wish to take it.

The gangs are here, period. Not sure what your looking for, maybe they will let me take their pictures next time their out tagging their areas or killing somebody.

What does someone being from Hazelton have to do with it by the way? You don't honestly think that they are all from here do you?

I also know of a list that the various schools have of suspected, known and active gang members and the names of the members and of their children that attend the Scranton schools.

Gang shooting suspect featured in Scranton rap videos

Quote:
One of the alleged Bloods gang members from West Scranton accused of killing a fellow Blood last month and a rival Crips member in June is featured in online rap videos produced in Scranton. The 18-year-old West Scranton High School senior, of 1726 Washburn St., identifies himslf as a "singer" on his own MySpace profile. He is charged with criminal homicide along with his older brother, Jeffery Future, 25, of 215 St. Frances Cabrini Ave., and Christian Kenyon, 17, of 550 Kennedy St.

Police say the three picked up 29-year-old Allen Fernandez, drove him to Snake Road in Ransom Twp. early July 30 and shot him 12 times. Tonie Future and Mr. Kenyon also have been charged in the attempted murder of Shakaun Burgess, 20, on June 27, whom police say the pair suspected of being a member of the Crips street gang.

Eastern Pennsylvania Drug and Gang Threat Assessment 2011

Quote:
For instance, in Scranton, where drug distribution by former New York area gang members has increased since 2008, the Scranton Police Department’s Special Investigation Unit is composed of only five members, who investigate crimes such as prescription drug diversion, prostitution, and simple drug possession, as well as organized drug distribution groups
Quote:
Gang members often facilitate their transition from the New York City area to smaller drug markets in eastern Pennsylvania by forming
relationships with local females.10 These relationships aid the formerly transient gang members in establishing residency, building a network of contacts with local drug users and distributors, and setting up drug and money stash houses for their operations.11 The gang members then use
this infrastructure to recruit local teens and young adults to join the gang and distribute drugs while simultaneously maintaining their gang allegiances and drug connections with associates in the New York City area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania