Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 07:44 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

This is my first year as an actual resident of NEPA. I have been answering the door for over four hours now and I have some observations to make.

Wilkes-Barre is very different from my former fancy suburban domicile.

However, in one they are the same at least with respect to Halloween.
Lots and lots of kids.

Here are the big differences. Wilkes-Barres Trick or Treaters are way more diverse.

The kids here have better costumes are a lot more creative.
Back in the Burbs, some didn't even bother to dress up!

NEPA kids are POLITE and NICE!

Just my experience,but it has ben very positive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,086 times
How refreshing to hear something positive about the area! Thanks Sheena.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 AM

30,521 posts, read 16,217,604 times
yup! Thanks.

and enquiring minds want to know: were you dresses up? as what?

Old 11-01-2011, 01:20 PM

I was dressed up! I do that every year!
This year I re-cycycled my costume from an Oktoberfest party. Everyone liked it there so I figured that it could do double duty!

Gotta say another thing, you people in NEPA know how to party!
Bring on the Holidays!

Old 11-01-2011, 06:41 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,787 times
We had only about half as many kids this year compared to last year, about 30 rather than 60. Maybe because last year it was on a weekend? sort of disappointing.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:48 PM

94 posts, read 169,225 times
I had a great first halloween here in NorthEastern PA...back where I lived (Suburban DFW Texas) We'd get MAYBE 10 kids. I live in Kingston now and I swear I had 75-80 trick or treaters. It was so nice, reminded me of when I was a kid. Back in the 'burbs people are too paranoid, thinking every neighbor is a sex offender, criminal, or going to poison the candy. It was a great experience for me.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:00 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Youngest son lives in West Wyoming and since he and wife were taking their two girls around the neighborhood, I opted to sit at their house and hand out the treats. They had 140 trick or treat bags made up. I sat on the front porch (wasn't it a pleasant night?) and gave out every. single. one. of the treats. In an hour and a half. Candy was gone by 7:30

Their church had a Trunk or Treat party in the parking lot, complete with a popcorn machine, hot dogs, hot chocolate.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
We went ToT'ing this year. But I have friends in the neighborhood that passed candy out. They went through about 300 baggies (that they put together) of candy in a little over an hour! :-O

Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,455 times
My children made out really well here in Camp Lejeune, However I really wanted to experience Halloween in NEPA! Unfortunately closing on my new property did not permit the move just yet. We may experience Thanksgiving BUT for sure Christmas! Great to hear you've all had a wonderful experience.God Bless

Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 AM

We had about 75 trick or treaters. The younger children had adults with them, and were appropriately supervised. The are range was about 4-16.
I was really impressed by how polite they were - "please" "thank you" and wishes of "Have a Happy Halloween!" were the norm. When children were very young, their parents were friendly, and urged them to say "thank you", and they did themselves.

Here is what I did not get that I did back on Long Island :
Rowdy, rude, uncostumed teens and older kids.
kids who grab, push and shove or seemed nasty to one another
parents who ask for specific candy for their children, Children who ask for specific candy
rude parents who do not speak to you or meet your eye as you are handing out treats
parents coasting along the curb in Escalades, Volvo 4x4s, Range Rovers, Mercedes SUVs and Lincoln Navigators driving kids from house to house.

I didn't grow up with that, but it seems that the above behavior was very common where I lived.

Something else that I don't miss - smashed pumpkins, shaving cream on my car, and other annoying pranks.

My daughter went trick or treating with some friends on the West Side. She is 15.
My son, 17, went to the same party that he did last year in Huntington Mills. They have a bonfire, and some amazingly good baked goods provided by the boy's grandparents. ( They host it at their house and decorate it beautifully!)

All I can say is that I wish that I had moved here earlier, so that my children would have grown up in this wonderful area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania