Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 19,708 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, new member here who is very confused. Has anything changed in the past year since this board was updated? Planning a move to Pocono region and have researched many of the communities. Saw Creek has been the first choice of both my wife and I. We visited this past saturday and looked at some homes, and also dined in the restaurant. We spoke to some residents, and while this is a very small sample, they all seemed happy there. Some of them spoke of how there were problems in the past, but they were "cleaned up" recently. What were the problems, and what has changed to make it better? I really like the community, but am nervous about some off the things I've been hearing. The idea of renting there for a few months has come up. I like that idea, but can only seem to find vacation rentals. Anybody know of an agent in the area who handles long term rentals? Lastly, we both work in North Jersey and are considering commuting. Normally the commute would be just over an hour, anyone have comments about the rush hour commute? I know there are alot of questions here, any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 12:05 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
I should note to everyone that it just came on the local TV last week that the communities with gates are not any safer then ones outside. It said that the gangs seem to congregate" inside" those gated communities. The police are not usually there patroling. Gangs love this security.
Rent awhile in a community before you purchase. Stay a good 6 months and check things out.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,554,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I should note to everyone that it just came on the local TV last week that the communities with gates are not any safer then ones outside. It said that the gangs seem to congregate" inside" those gated communities. The police are not usually there patroling. Gangs love this security.
Rent awhile in a community before you purchase. Stay a good 6 months and check things out.
Summering very good advice. It doesn't hurt to rent to see if you really like the area. This way you know it is a good investment.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:26 AM

38 posts, read 136,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmurphy401 View Post
Hi everyone, new member here who is very confused. Has anything changed in the past year since this board was updated? Planning a move to Pocono region and have researched many of the communities. Saw Creek has been the first choice of both my wife and I. We visited this past saturday and looked at some homes, and also dined in the restaurant. We spoke to some residents, and while this is a very small sample, they all seemed happy there. Some of them spoke of how there were problems in the past, but they were "cleaned up" recently. What were the problems, and what has changed to make it better? I really like the community, but am nervous about some off the things I've been hearing. The idea of renting there for a few months has come up. I like that idea, but can only seem to find vacation rentals. Anybody know of an agent in the area who handles long term rentals? Lastly, we both work in North Jersey and are considering commuting. Normally the commute would be just over an hour, anyone have comments about the rush hour commute? I know there are alot of questions here, any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
"Kmurphy" go out and some more of what you just did. You went to the community & spoke to some of the residents. Go dine at the restaurant and speak to more folks that live there just like you previously did. Some people on this site can be very helpful but at times the truth can be exaggerated and made to look far worse then they really are. I urge you to keep doing what your doing and get a sense of feeling of the community for yourself. Don't base your decision based solely on what's said here on city-data.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:51 AM

3 posts, read 19,708 times
Thanks for all the input. We are going to keep looking and talking to residents, I feel nobody knows better then them. We have time, we don't have to rush. I have been impressed with the community each time I've been there. Maybe renting and staying for a week or two would be helpful. I'll keep you updated.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 10,077 times
We live at Indian Mountain Lake which is a gated community and enjoy it very much. It is on 115. It does not have all the amenities as SC but has 5 lakes and is not far from ski areas.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:29 AM

858 posts, read 3,044,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeydred View Post
Just wanted to get some info about Saw Creek Estates from anyone who lives or has lived there. From reading the Pocono Record, I know someone was just shot and killed there recently and there was a huge drug raid. Besides these two things.....how do you feel about this community?

And you came on here to ask what??? I think you awsered your own question.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeydred View Post
Thanks for the reply Izzymare....It's at least good to hear that it isn't as bad as PCP.

give it another year or so. with all the out of towners moving in.... It won't take long!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
The Police are not in gated communities patroling, because like someone said in another topic, "Thank God we have armed security in our community"

Police Officer's are a joke to some of these people in or not in gang's. So what do you think is in their mind's about security?? Id have to say "Rent a cop's" If they even go as far as saying that much!

By the way for those who don't know "Armed Security" is nothing more then the person going to a 40 hour class to recive act-235, in that class they teach you nothing more then how to handle a fire arm without killing someone. These so called "Security Officer's" Have no Real Police training, nor do they have any Police powers to enforce any of title 18. As far as PCP, go's PMRPD, stay's out of that place inless they get a call to respond to something the security personal messed up!

It's funny not to long ago someone was shooting at deer of their deck of there house. Another person called security, they were scared so they called PSP, not PMRPD, because well lets say their not on the best of terms with them. lol So the State came flying up with lights and sirnes on, got to the gate and they didnt hit the button to let them in! HA HA, So the State went right thur the gate! lol that place is a joke up their.

But to the real point of this you are right as many on here I was reading. Gangs love gated community's because their is no Police, so they get away with anything they want and if someone thinks these ARMED gards are going to do anything your wrong. They cant do anything because they have no power to do so. So why even try?? Their just their to make the new home buyers think the community is a safe place to live with their own police force. In light of things its no safer then walking around the City at 2am!

PS. buy stock in spray paint remover!! lol them so called gangs love the stuff, and it will end up all over your house, road, mailbox, and sometimes your car, if you get them mad. And I dont care what community you move into, it's in all of them!!! not just SC, or PSP.

Lastly, one little tip! For the people with the mail boxes on poles by the side of the road. Get a metal 6'' pole to mount ur mail box on. And fill the inside of it with concret, next time the baseball bat drive by happens, the person swinging the bat, will need a trip to the ER, to get his wrist fixed after he breaks it trying to knock off your mail box!!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:34 AM

513 posts, read 1,080,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurjrv View Post
We live at Indian Mountain Lake which is a gated community and enjoy it very much. It is on 115. It does not have all the amenities as SC but has 5 lakes and is not far from ski areas.
We looked at Indian Mountain Lakes this summer, and were set to buy a home there. Be careful with gated communities. We were carefully led in and out by our realtor every time we visited. When we finally had a chance to explore the community on our own, we discovered small houses with 8-12 people living in them. We later learned that IML has a large number of Section 8 renters. At the opposite end of the scale, there also seemed to be quite a few McMansions, with driveways full of SUVs with bling wheels, and hip hop music from the house for the neighborhood to enjoy.

We passed, bought at Towamensing Trails, and are very happy with the choice.

Last edited by DE_NePA; 11-02-2008 at 07:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania