Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:10 AM

238 posts, read 365,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylene0713 View Post
For the people that gave me advice..thank you...it's a shame that some of you used my thread as a bitchfest.police cuts / firemen cuts are being made everywhere in America. Open your eyes a recession is going on everywhere. Where I live there is more foreclosed homes then occupied homes. Homeless people are becoming just as visible and frequent as if I lived in a big city. Every corner of major intersections contains a person holding a sign will work for money. Major corporations have closed their doors, and ma and pop stores are way gone. Every city in America are having these problems at the moment. Haven't you guys seen the news with occupy going on ??? In times like these you shouldn't be putting your city down, you should be asking what can I do to make it better...it's how WE triumph through these times that shows you a true integrity of a city.
Sorry to take it back off topic for a second, just want to say GREAT post... (although it will likely fall on deaf ears here). Good luck if you decide to move to Scranton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 10:01 AM

268 posts, read 374,502 times
Quote:
MY husband and I are considering moving to scranton pa in April. I would transfer from my position as an assistant manager at cvs, and my husband would move his landscaping company. What I was wondering is how good of a chance would he have as a landscaper/handyman in pa? He works hard and always provides reasonable prices.we would have a newborn so how is the daycare in Scranton as well? We come from rhode island that has overpriced housing, and the market of landscapers are flooded. Scranton pa seems like a good idea for us, but I have also read lots on the poor economy there. Approaching the year 2012 is the city revitalizing itself? And how good are the landscaping/ handyman fields out there? Any information would be great ....thanks!!
I heard Quahog, Rhode Island is nice

All jokes aside, have you considered looking into the Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem Area) and northern Philly suburbs? The economy in that region is much more stable than in NEPA and it's a growing area of transplants. You'll run less into nepotism there than in NEPA. However, I am not sure how competitive the landscaping business is down there or if there are many positions available. My recommendation is to make comparisons between the Lehigh Valley and NEPA in terms of taxes, cost of living, and job availability. This is not an anti-Scranton post... I rather see the OP look into some other areas in PA in order to compare and make the best choices.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:59 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
For the people that gave me advice..thank you...it's a shame that some of you used my thread as a bitchfest.police cuts / firemen cuts are being made everywhere in America. Open your eyes a recession is going on everywhere. Where I live there is more foreclosed homes then occupied homes. Homeless people are becoming just as visible and frequent as if I lived in a big city. Every corner of major intersections contains a person holding a sign will work for money. Major corporations have closed their doors, and ma and pop stores are way gone. Every city in America are having these problems at the moment. Haven't you guys seen the news with occupy going on ??? In times like these you shouldn't be putting your city down, you should be asking what can I do to make it better...it's how WE triumph through these times that shows you a true integrity of a city.
Listen up.....This is Scranton and it has been this way LONG BEFORE THE RECESSION or the occupy idiots decided to protest anything and everything.

You know NOTHING of what you speak about this town and where its going or has been for that matter. I have been residing in Scranton 16 years now and believe me what is going on has NOTHING TO DO with what is going on outside of this region.

The city is and was buried by greed and politicians, PERIOD NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.

You think this was a ***** fest? You asked a question and received honest answers. You don't think that these INTENTIONAL VENGEFUL CUTS are being made due to money do you?

The money is there, the politicians just want to break the unions.

There are some on this board that will tell you the city is fine, ITS NOT.

The police and fire cuts will drive this city further into the hole that its in.

This isn't my first rodeo and its NOT the only place I have ever lived. Take it for what it is worth, but you will regret this place if you move here.

You should also make sure that the salary your making in RI is going to be the same here, because I'll bet its not, its lower.

As far as being a handy man in Scranton, get ready to pony up insurance, registration fees with the city. You HAVE to be registered to work in the city and insured. Nice little test has to be taken.

Trust me RI is a far cry better.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,429 times
Arendt's Outdoor Services - They pay well and the owners are very good people.

Please ignore the negative comments about the area. Some of the people posting here are downright delusional.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-09-2011 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: new posters cannot post links

Old 12-09-2011, 03:55 PM

452 posts, read 681,958 times
Yes, by all means ignore the first of many large property tax increases. Fire and police force's being cut. The drastic rise in drug busts for heroin, meth and oxies. Violent crimes and assaults have also been on the rise. The State Police have unmarked cruisers patrolling Rt. 80 & 81 in an effort to stop the drug traffic coming in from NY & NJ. I lost count of how many churches have shut their doors due to lack of attendance. The handful of intelligent young adults that get college degree's don't stay in the area and opt out for jobs elsewhere. They actually had a think tank discussion group work on ways to keep the smart ones here. There are so many better choices for you in PA. I hope you keep looking.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:45 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Jaylene, We would love to have you in the Lehigh Valley. Everyone seems to use a landscaping service and we have many CVS stores. Taxes and cost of living, unfortunately, are higher then in NEPA but it's a great place to live.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-10-2011 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 AM

Something that occurred to me after re-reading this thread is that on the Lehigh Valley board when someone suggests moving to Allentown, we generally steer them away from Center City and suggest Bethlehem if they want to live in a city. On this board instead of offering alternative suggestions, the conversation just gets into a why Scranton stinks conversation. With that in mind, Jaylene, is there a particular reason you are considering Scranton instead of Wilkes Barre or any other area in NEPA?

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:24 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Listen up.....This is Scranton and it has been this way LONG BEFORE THE RECESSION or the occupy idiots decided to protest anything and everything.

You know NOTHING of what you speak about this town and where its going or has been for that matter. I have been residing in Scranton 16 years now and believe me what is going on has NOTHING TO DO with what is going on outside of this region.

The city is and was buried by greed and politicians, PERIOD NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS.

You think this was a ***** fest? You asked a question and received honest answers. You don't think that these INTENTIONAL VENGEFUL CUTS are being made due to money do you?

The money is there, the politicians just want to break the unions.

There are some on this board that will tell you the city is fine, ITS NOT.

The police and fire cuts will drive this city further into the hole that its in.

This isn't my first rodeo and its NOT the only place I have ever lived. Take it for what it is worth, but you will regret this place if you move here.

You should also make sure that the salary your making in RI is going to be the same here, because I'll bet its not, its lower.

As far as being a handy man in Scranton, get ready to pony up insurance, registration fees with the city. You HAVE to be registered to work in the city and insured. Nice little test has to be taken.

Trust me RI is a far cry better.
GREAT POST .. WELL SAID ...

Old 12-10-2011, 10:02 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Something that occurred to me after re-reading this thread is that on the Lehigh Valley board when someone suggests moving to Allentown, we generally steer them away from Center City and suggest Bethlehem if they want to live in a city. On this board instead of offering alternative suggestions, the conversation just gets into a why Scranton stinks conversation. With that in mind, Jaylene, is there a particular reason you are considering Scranton instead of Wilkes Barre or any other area in NEPA?
TBT, I have noticed the same thing. Perhaps because some of the posters are adhering to TOS by sticking strictly to comments about Scranton, since that's what the OP asked. Sometimes the OP isn't always specific about why they want to move to a particular location. In that case, it's difficult to pinpoint any of the many towns, boroughs, villages and other municipal entities that ring Scranton that might suit.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:06 AM

I agree theatergypsy. I know how posters on this forum like to stick to the TOS....(chuckle) which is why I asked the poster if they were stuck on Scranton.

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania