Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

If I could, I'd go see him speak.

I'd go see any of our presidents speak. I don't harbor hatred towards any of them. It isn't a job I'd want.

I also don't care what religion he is or any of the presidential candidates, for that matter. I don't care about their personal lives. I care about what type of job they do. That's it. I don't need my president to pander to any religious sector. Why do some people have to make sure their God is acknowledged by the president? This country is NOT a theocracy. Want one? Go establish a new country then.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,966 times
[quote=Riverside4ever;21915025]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
Whether you agree or disagree with his policies, how often do you get an opportunity to see a speech, live, in person, from the leader of the free world?

There is NOTHING free in this world ,, Esp In the United States , Our So called leaders have made it that way . We pay through the nose for EVERYTHING . The only FREE ride is the one our GVMT is getting
You do know "the free world" is a reference to geography, not money or the economy, right?

Old 11-30-2011, 07:26 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
He's in trouble in PA hence the reason for his speech.
Article says no Democrat was elected president since 1948 without winning PA.
PA will be a critical swing state, with potential to go either way. NEPA is seen as a swing area within PA. It will be a major battleground through November 2012. Prepare for many ads, stories, and visits from anyone who is anyone. Obama will probably return. Biden could also be a regular, maybe he will move back to NEPA . (It depends on if he is regarded as an asset or a liability by the campaign strategists.)

I don't plan to attend today's speech.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I just hope I don't get stuck in traffic on the way home from work. I probably will vote for Obama as a lesser-of-2-evils vote over the clowns the GOP is parading for nomination (though I'm considering just writing in Spongebob Squarepants or Donald Duck), but visits like this kind of tick me off....its nothing more than a campaign visit, at taxpayers expense.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 11-30-2011 at 07:54 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
PA will be a critical swing state, with potential to go either way. NEPA is seen as a swing area within PA. It will be a major battleground through November 2012. Prepare for many ads, stories, and visits from anyone who is anyone. Obama will probably return. Biden could also be a regular, maybe he will move back to NEPA . (It depends on if he is regarded as an asset or a liability by the campaign strategists.)

I don't plan to attend today's speech.
NEPA, a swing area? Are you kidding? Republicans are held in the same regard as Satan and Hitler around these parts! Might be a swing area if you're counting the gun-totin' areas out in Wyoming, Susquehanna, Wayne Counties, etc. Definitely not Scranton, though.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 11-30-2011 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-30-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I also don't care what religion he is or any of the presidential candidates, for that matter. I don't care about their personal lives. I care about what type of job they do. That's it. I don't need my president to pander to any religious sector. Why do some people have to make sure their God is acknowledged by the president? This country is NOT a theocracy. Want one? Go establish a new country then.
I agree with this. I'm getting so sick of religious people whining everytime the President doesn't mention God or Jesus. This is not a theocracy. I'm sick of people who have nothing better to get angry about than whether or not the White House tree is called a Christmas Tree or a Holiday Tree, or about someone simply wishing them "happy holidays." I don't care if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah, Merry Festivus, whatever, I'd just be happy that someone wished me a happy something. The funny thing is that "Christmas" isn't even originally a Christian holiday....Jesus wasn't even born near Dec. 25th....the church moved the celebration to Dec. 25 to preempt pagan winter solstice celebrations in their attempts to convert pagans to the Catholic church.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 AM

33 posts, read 37,238 times
Mr. Yuk--I live in Luzerne county; my US Congressman, state Senator, and state Representative are all repubs. Add in the fact that a lot of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton dems are more conservative on cultural issues--yeah--NEPA is a big swing area. .

Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 AM

33 posts, read 37,238 times
I should also add--NEPA is more than just Scranton! (or 'gun-totting' Wyoming Co).

Old 11-30-2011, 09:47 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
Whether you agree or disagree with his policies, how often do you get an opportunity to see a speech, live, in person, from the leader of the free world?

The Scranton Times reports lines for tickets: In ticket line, Obama boosters rave about their man - News - The Times-Tribune
Please try to stick to the topic about attending this event or not. If the talk turns to politics in general this thread will be closed.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackMtnMan View Post
Mr. Yuk--I live in Luzerne county; my US Congressman, state Senator, and state Representative are all repubs. Add in the fact that a lot of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton dems are more conservative on cultural issues--yeah--NEPA is a big swing area. .
Your senator/reps/etc are republican since all of the gerrymandering by republicans split the higher income (and republican-leaning) areas of the local congressional districts, mainly the Back Mountain and the Abingtons, away from the valley, which tends to vote democrat, and joined them with rural areas that are mainly republicans because of guns and religion...,.to preserve republican seats. Still, though, in the Scr/WB area, most of the population is in the cities and valley towns, which lean heavily democratic. Social issues or not, I can't remember the last time Lackawanna and Luzerne counties voted republican in a presidential election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania