Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 05:41 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think that it is very difficult if not impossible to gauge poverty in any particular area, by examining the rates of reduced fee lunches.

There are many people who would never think of applying for such assistance, and there are others, who have few problems utilizing these programs.

I think, with the economy in it's current state, the stigma has lessened.
The reason that the original PR article ran is because they showed the increases over the last five years. Pocono Mountain only had an increase of 2% in the last five years. Wallenpaupack Area surged 17.5% in the last five years.

I know that we do not have all the facts. Rules could have changed or maybe even the programs, to recruit, became more aggressive?

It is just that these are high percentages and somebody should be looking at remedying the problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 07:33 PM

23 posts, read 56,710 times
My school district has 1918 children .
In 2011
1066 got free lunch
163 got reduced lunch.

64% are living in Poverty!

Reference: Link below to back my statement.
Look under Panther Valley- Carbon County. Lots of Welfare here. No jobs and run down coal mine homes.

National School Lunch

Old 02-14-2012, 06:01 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianlady179 View Post
My school district has 1918 children .
In 2011
1066 got free lunch
163 got reduced lunch.

64% are living in Poverty!

Reference: Link below to back my statement.
Look under Panther Valley- Carbon County. Lots of Welfare here. No jobs and run down coal mine homes.

National School Lunch
If we could just look at Panther Valley by itself, without the rest of the state or nation, we could say that 34% were supporting the lunch program of the 64%. That would be a terrible strain on those that could afford the lunch program. Fortunately; the whole state shares the burden - so the actual cost is divided between many. However; the tax burden will still drag others, that were above water, down.

I think the economy is picking up. I usually go by how many trucks I see on our interstates. The more trucks; the better off we are.

Just out of curiosity; does Carbon County have any fracking? I am just curious if there is any signs of new industry or jobs, I used to work with a man that lived in Carbon and was always happy that his taxes were so much lower than Monroe (of course he did not count the cost of the commute).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania