Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 AM

10 posts, read 10,719 times

Advertisements

Has anyone have a problem with the Monroe County Assistance office. I submitted my mothers application in Oct 24 when she relocated from NYC.
They stalled the application we sent all document they needed on time they decided since the application was coming up to the 30 days they needed to take action on it and denied the application. Due to some paperwork i faxed was not legible. We go no calls from them requesting to send a clearer copy and then the case worker tells me that they have a lot of people that retired and have left and they are backup with work and to have patience.

So i tell her ok so maybe after the holidays. I call today and she gives me the same story. Really how long does it take to get help in PA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Moved up here from NY in OCT and already looking for Help .. I think you need to be a resident for 6 months to qualify for help...

Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 AM

48 posts, read 110,386 times
God helps those who help themselves.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCityMan View Post
God helps those who help themselves.
I was Taught That if you want a HAND Its at the end of your sleeve ..

Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Here's a thought: Maybe you give up your internet service and give the money you save to your Mom.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Here's a thought: Maybe you give up your internet service and give the money you save to your Mom.

OR move your Mother in with you ........

Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM

127 posts, read 290,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellypam View Post
Has anyone have a problem with the Monroe County Assistance office. I submitted my mothers application in Oct 24 when she relocated from NYC.
They stalled the application we sent all document they needed on time they decided since the application was coming up to the 30 days they needed to take action on it and denied the application. Due to some paperwork i faxed was not legible. We go no calls from them requesting to send a clearer copy and then the case worker tells me that they have a lot of people that retired and have left and they are backup with work and to have patience.

So i tell her ok so maybe after the holidays. I call today and she gives me the same story. Really how long does it take to get help in PA?

The paperwork you submitted was not legible. That is not the fault of the Monroe County Assistance office. If you fax it, make a phone call to make sure they received it and that all is in order.

And to answer your question as to how long it takes to get help in Pa - applications can take anywhere from a few days to 2-3 months depending on circumstances.

Bottom line, you are given a time frame in which to submit necessary documents. If you fail to do so in that time frame your application can be denied.

And another poster said that there is a 6 month waiting period. False. However I wish this were true. PA is a Commonwealth State, no residency period required. People arrive fresh off the Martz bus and head straight to the assistance office to apply.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:09 AM

99 posts, read 235,074 times
My goodness, there are a lot of bootstraps in this thread!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM

177 posts, read 314,085 times
I don't have any experience with Monroe county but when paperwork is sent, it is your responsibility to follow up and ensure that it's readable, not the case worker's. If they are overworked you should assume they will look for reasons to reject something because they don't have time to play "what could that number be" with the application they're looking at. And there is often a waiting period - we applied for MA for our son and we needed to be residents for at least 60 days I believe. I was told a lot depends on the case worker when I called to make sure our documentation was received in good order. We are in Pike. Good luck helping your mom. Everyone deserves to have enough to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania