Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 5,833 times

Advertisements

Hello! My Fiance and I are having a baby in August and we are looking to get a bigger apartment. Our budget is pretty tight with saving for the baby and up coming wedding but I found a few places in our price range in Jim Thorpe, Lehighton, Lansford and Tamaqua. Does anyone know anything about these areas? And would they be a decent place to raise our first child? Thanks for any info anyone can offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Tamaqua is a drunk and druggies paradise .. No work , very cheap housing .. It started as a patch town, Its heyday was the late 60's , My in laws are from there ,,, Houses are like $20 grand ... Its a shame and a VERY depressed area .. there are barley any stores other then a Wal mart and a handful of others ,, But there are 2-3 bars on every block..LOL .. . I dont know much about the other towns ,,

Old 02-01-2012, 08:23 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
Jim Thorpe is a very nice little town. Lots of tourist on the weekends. Sorry I have no information on employment. A former poster said the schools were good and had nothing bad to bad to say about it. I know this is a bit vauge, but it is all I have. Wishing you best of luck and an easy delivery.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 AM

8,077 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Of the four towns mentioned I would pick Jim Thorpe. As Bloominscranton said, it's a tourist town and it helps if you like trains. Jim Thorpe (formerly Mauch Chunk) was an important stop on the old Jersey Central Railroad (one of the anthracite roads) and they play up that heritage.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:15 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
And its a Hop , skip and a jump from Penns Peak ..... ( Its a Great Place to see concerts )

Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 PM

130 posts, read 310,413 times
We bought a place outside Jim Thorpe in August and I highly recommend the area. If you want to live in town I would try to avoid the really touristy part. I love spending time there but I think all the traffic and crowds would get to you after a while. I would look just across the bridge on the side where the Jim Thorpe market is.

We have only managed to get to one concert so far but I really agree with River. Penns Peak is a terrific place for concerts. And the area would be great for a young family. So many great outdoor things to do, many low or no cost.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:19 AM

13 posts, read 26,150 times
Jim Thorpe Schools can be accomplished by living in Albrightsville. This area has been hit with the foreclosure bug and so there are steals at the moment in the housing market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania