Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
But if you hate where you live, and you have lived there all of your life - GET OUT! Hope that makes sense. Maybe you want another climate or just a change - give it a shot. The old place will be there if it doesn't work out.
^ Yes! Sheena is good at saying things I want to say much more succinctly! LOL!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:06 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
I think most people who are malcontents will be malcontents no matter where they are...the glass will always be half empty.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:28 PM

238 posts, read 365,067 times
I posted what could be seen as a negative reply in the thread asking for advice when moving from Texas to NEPA, and I did so to simply give my perspective on making nearly the exact opposite move (Wilkes-Barre to Austin, TX). I disclaimed the post by stating I didn't have advice on where or how to buy a house, but just wanted to give my 2 cents as a realistic view of why I left. Besides having a job offer, this person may also have similar reasons for leaving Texas, who knows. Personally there are things I didn't like about NEPA and there are things I don't like about Austin. There are also things I love about both. I rarely post on this forum (I'd rather sit back and read the flamewars), but the fact of that situation is that it's a life-changing move and I felt the need to provide my experience.

I agree that people who are woefully unhappy with their living situation should either find a way to make the best of it or find a way to leave. There are certain people who post on this forum who really bother me with the awful negativity they convey about the area (probably better examples of what you speak of than my post). but I also agree it's not a good thing or realistic to paint ONLY a positive picture of sunshine and roses, because it's simply not true. When asking for advice I think most people would rather have an unbiased opinion, or at least both sides of the story.

Two years ago, before I moved I was becoming increasingly unhappy with my life in NEPA, mostly due to the negative attitude of the residents which started to overshadow all the aspects of it that I loved, which is a very similar list to all the things that SteelCityRising posted: La Festa Italiana, Ricketts Glen, St Patricks day parade, etc. When the opportunity arose for me I used it to GTFO. I moved to Austin, TX and now I am very happy. I come back to visit once a year to run the Steamtown marathon, get to see fall leaves and visit my family, which is enough for me. I did exactly what you said.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:58 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times

Old 02-09-2012, 02:01 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Sometimes people need to move. They want to know the best area in that region that would suit them. Sometimes it is not a choice. Sometimes it is.

If I had to for some reason, relocate to TX, Austin would be my first choice. Most liberal, good art and music scene. I have visited San Antonio and it's a nice place to visit.

As a Vegetarian Liberal Democrat whose first memorable tragedy in life was in pre-school when JFK was assassinated, that is my first memory of TX. My last memory? The Bush family. Bible belt, meat industry Rodeo and country music - hey- I would be hard pressed to think of ten states that I would rather live in less. But I could. Still, I have met nice people who hail from the state of TX.

My issue is City Data is first and foremost a place to exchange information about geographical areas. People used to to that here, on THIS VERY FORUM! But somewhere along the line, that ended.

I was helped quite a bit by several members of the forum. Many of them no longer post.

This is a great place to exchange information. All of it can't be positive - but SO MUCH is not only negative, but self effacing, sarcastic, nasty and belittling. The area is not full of idiots and dullards.
I am offended by that notion and that suggestion.

There are many different areas within the area that is called NEPA. Why paint the whole area with the same broad and negative brush? People on this forum, some people, manage to deride everyplace from Clark's Summit to Academy St. Is no where good?

It is a rich and diverse area that has appeal to so many different types of people! Why be so down on yourselves? Those of us who own property should be especially concerned with this negative perception.

I have met so many wonderful friends here, as have my husband and kids. We call NEPA "home" and I am not a fan of people hurling insults at a place I know, love and am loved.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:29 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
No matter where you live, there's good & bad aspects.

Personally, I think it's great that a few posters have the balls to write their experience w/the negative parts of NEPA. It gives the OP a more "rounded" view of the place, as well as something to investigate. If I didn't know about all aspects of living in Florida before I moved, I'd have been SORELY disappointed 'cause it's not 365 days of sunshine, boat drinks & fun!!!

Not everyone has the ability to just "uproot & move". This involves money, family, employment, etc., & until we can walk a mile in their shoes, we needn't judge.

Some posters just like to paint the area they live as sunshine & roses, without stating any negatives. Personally, I think this misleads the OP just as the "negative" posters are being accused of....

"it's not 365 days of sunshine, boat drinks & fun!!!"
Damn George, where am I gonna retire now?????????????????

Old 02-09-2012, 02:41 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
"it's not 365 days of sunshine, boat drinks & fun!!!"
Damn George, where am I gonna retire now?????????????????
Watch out John!!! You'll offend somebody, be reported for being off-topic & the thread'll be locked!!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I happen to agree with Jungle George most of the time, but in this particular circumstance I'm inclined to dissent.
Since you're dissenting, I'm gonna call your dissent & raise you 50 dissents!!!

We're very happy you're happy in your life.

We're very happy that Sheena is happy in her life.

Unfortunately, NOT everyone is happy in their present life, & unfortunately, some of them may NOT be able to change their circumstances for the present time...

We don't know all circumstances in someone's life to be able to paint a broad statement like "they should just move". It reminds me of a comment that offended the HELL out of me, that if old people can't take care of their home like they used to, they should be forced out & put in a home for the "good" of the community...

I really wonder why this thread hasn't been moved to the "Psychology", "Current Events", or other CityData section, as it is not "NEPA-specific" (a term used SOOOOOO much in the past...)

Old 02-09-2012, 03:57 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We call NEPA "home" and I am not a fan of people hurling insults at a place I know, love and am loved.
I'm not a fan of Vegetarian Liberal Democrats and their sense of entitlement.

I couldn't sell my homes if I had to. LOL

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-10-2012 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Removed rude comment

Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,176 times
I live in Scranton, but i don't consider it my "home". That is in NJ. I'm in Scranton due to circumstances beyond my control. If i could get out of here tomorrow, i would run and never look back. I don't mind NP area at all, i lived there for 17 yrs, but Scranton is the arm pit of PA and i would never miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania