Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times

Advertisements

I lived most of my life in New Jersey. Yet, PA is a state we lived in for 16 years and enjoyed it very much. Everyone had more land, they were more relaxed, and the scenery was fantastic.
It is such a beautiful state. The mountains hug you all around.
I always loved the towns of Scranton and Dickson City. I really liked Wilkes Barre too........
Now that I am living in South Carolina...this is my home. But.....There are many things I enjoyed in my former two states of residence. I love it here for many various reasons, but I enjoy heading "home" to PA once in awhile to places that are wonderful there.
One thing I hope to get home to is a nice swim in the cove of Beltzville Lake. That cool, wonderful water.....( and I don't have to fret about an alligator.)

Old 02-09-2012, 06:49 PM

452 posts, read 681,738 times
You wonder why people are negative about this area, let's see. The food leaves plenty to be desired. Most of the people who rave about it never left the area and consider box wine and aerosol cheese fine dinning. Next, incase you have not noticed the flood gates have broken and all the trash that NY and NJ does not want anymore are now living here. Then there is a small issue about double digit property tax increases. Not to worry, we have so many honest political figures that are not on the take to look into that. And for all the people that focus on the negative things, I'm sure that will change once they are lucky enough to get up and go to a decent job. And last but not least, why don't you take a ride to Hazleton one day and ask an elderly life long resident of that city of the countless benefits they are enjoying since the city became "diversified". Did I mention that "diversified" is the new real estate catch word for a ok area that will soon become a drug infested, crime ridden crap hole you would not want to be caught dead in. The only person that had a clue in that town was Mayor Barletta. I could go on but I have to get back to packing, the moving truck will be here in 2 weeks. Not too soon if you ask me.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-09-2012 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Removed rude comment

Old 02-10-2012, 12:13 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Since you're dissenting, I'm gonna call your dissent & raise you 50 dissents!!!

We're very happy you're happy in your life.

We're very happy that Sheena is happy in her life.

Unfortunately, NOT everyone is happy in their present life, & unfortunately, some of them may NOT be able to change their circumstances for the present time...

We don't know all circumstances in someone's life to be able to paint a broad statement like "they should just move". It reminds me of a comment that offended the HELL out of me, that if old people can't take care of their home like they used to, they should be forced out & put in a home for the "good" of the community...

I really wonder why this thread hasn't been moved to the "Psychology", "Current Events", or other CityData section, as it is not "NEPA-specific" (a term used SOOOOOO much in the past...)

well said!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Scranton is the arm pit of PA and i would never miss it.
Guess you've never been to Reading, Allentown, Harrisburg, Chester....hell, even Carbondale. Scranton is paradise in comparison.

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 02-10-2012 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-10-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Trips View Post
The only person that had a clue in that town was Mayor Barletta.

Really? Seems to me that Hazleton went to crap under his watch. He was too busy trying to make headlines with unenforceable BS laws singling out certain ethnic groups and running for Congress to actually do his job as mayor.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:40 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Really? Seems to me that Hazleton went to crap under his watch. He was too busy trying to make headlines with unenforceable BS laws singling out certain ethnic groups and running for Congress to actually do his job as mayor.
While I'll agree with you he wasn't the greatest he was only singling out those "certain" ethnic groups, as you say, that were obvious illegal aliens...living 20 to a 2 room apartment and landlords who turned their backs on those unsafe conditions in the name of raking in $$$$ every month...employers who also hired these illegal aliens and treated them unfairly and paid them unfairly as well...

Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Don't forget many posters here are living with their parents and too young to support themselves so they are kind of stuck and may not love where they have to live. This could apply to any part of the country. Even adults are sometimes tied down by circumstances and can't just pick up and move.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
While I'll agree with you he wasn't the greatest he was only singling out those "certain" ethnic groups, as you say, that were obvious illegal aliens...living 20 to a 2 room apartment and landlords who turned their backs on those unsafe conditions in the name of raking in $$$$ every month...employers who also hired these illegal aliens and treated them unfairly and paid them unfairly as well...
I'm not getting into an illegal alien argument, I agree they shouldn't be here and should be deported. But Barletta, I think, enacted that law to make headlines and get noticed as he ran for higher office. He had to know such laws are out of a city's jurisdiction. And it worked....he made his way onto national news reports and got his name out there....and it worked in getting him elected in an area where people are all in a frenzy because of darker faces moving to their towns. Funny thing is, the hispanics I've met in Scranton have been very nice people...more so than a lot of the locals. Maybe Hazleton is different from Scranton, but I don't think very many of them are illegal.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
18% of the homes in the city of Scranton are on market and homes are being priced so low that its not worth trying to even list it when I know that friends homes have been on the market for over a year.

Not too mention where would I go with my whole family and my retired mother who is my responsibility to take care of.

Listen I came back here to take care of my family and buried my father.

Its not easy to just sell a home in a saturated market and get enough out of it to move.

Maybe you didn't have a problem ripping your kids out of their lives and away from their friends to suit your personal desire to leave the island.

My folks did it to me and moved me up here from the shore and I resented them for years and avoided this place like the plaque until I had to be here and had to take care of them, now I have my own family and my son has friends and a life so when he goes to college and my mom is gone then we'll start talking about moving, but it won't be anywhere here in the US and it will probably have two motors and float......

Again I will say what I want about the area and where I live, actually I really only bash Scranton, considering my business is focused on the river through out Wyoming County I do like NEPA. JUST NOT THE VALLEY......Among other things in it..

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-10-2012 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Removed removed quote and orphaned remark.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 AM

212 posts, read 502,133 times
A bit off topic, I love the Pocono but I am not full time there... I guess if it is full time, I would not be as happy as I am now, mainly due to job situation. but it is not pocono to blame but the whole current bad economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania