Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:56 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
I guess I failed to make my point.......
What point? I am personally in no position to judge the caliber and quality of the W-B Area Schools, as I've never attended them. However, I've heard nothing but horror stories from some of my friends on campus who recently graduated from the city's high schools. When you start off with a neutral position on something (as I had) and start to have your mind filled with negativity, then it's only natural to slant that way as well. That's part of the reason why Scranton has such a bad image problem---the more people up there spew out how much the city sucks, the more people start to believe it, whether it's true or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 01:23 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,700 times
Oh, dear God. Alright. By using the word never in characterizing the quality of Wilkes-Barre schools, you imply that at no time has a Wilkes-Barre public school ever been well-regarded, be it 1999, or 1920, 1930 or 1890. As such, that is a general, unfair characterization to which many a W-B pupil or graduate would object. Mine was not a personal criticism, simply a critique regarding an unfair generalization due to writing in haste, without careful editing, or perhaps overwriting without attention to detail.

I thought it a point worth pursuing. I can easily imagine that Wilkes-Barre HS students of the 1950s or 1970s, for example, received educations equal or superior to comparable area schools....careful expression matters.

Your point would only be appropriately made by describing what you've heard about W-B schools recently or currently, yes?

That point........

And if you review history, you'll discover that I have been faithfully interested & invested in the well-being of the entire area, including countering several months ago a lot of spurious, undeserved negativity about Wilkes-Barre by nearly everybody except one other occasional poster.....

I should add, a propos le topic, that I'm very glad thatmoose and family had a great trip!
Hurry back!

Last edited by WasPA; 09-11-2007 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-12-2007, 02:46 PM

34 posts, read 123,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to judge the police officer's comments though---if I were moving to a foreign area from a few states away, I'd like to know the good, the bad, and the UGLY about where I might end up settling my family.

If you let us know more details about what you are looking for in a home, community type, etc., then we can help you to pinpoint some areas that might be more suitable for you the next time you come for a visit.
I wasn't quick to judge the cop. That was just one of many thoughts that ran through my mind. Frankly, I don't care what he nor anyone has to think or say about me and my family. Actually, it was nice to know that even an officer living in the area can see that things are going down hill in his city. I thanked him for being honest. What we are looking for is a quite community that does not have the hustle and bustle of a city. Kinda like the photo tour of the Mcmansions. Without the heavy price-tag. We want to have a small town feel but not be 1 hour from things. I want to sit outside anytime of day and hear the birds (not my neighbors toilet). We want to fall asleep in the hammock outback without wondering if we should. A place where my child can grow without ghetto influences. Shoot, the people are already great from what I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
I should add, a propos le topic, that I'm very glad that moose and family had a great trip!
Hurry back!
Well, if I could be there now I would!!!
We need to find a house for rent (not an Apt.)
We need to stay until our lease is up in March.
And we still have to find an area. Now I know the type of area we're looking for may be far and in between. And there are some things I may have to compromise. Because it seems what we're looking for I only read in books. But you just can't help to want whats best for you and your family. I can keep searching......

Anyone that reads this if you have any information. I encourage you to leave your feedback. Out of 429 views, I'm sure my new friends ScrantonWilkesBarre, and WasPA aren't the only 2 that have something to say? Everyone has at least 2 cent! And thanks to the both of you for all you done for me and my family with all the great info. Let me know anything you think of.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:36 AM

5 posts, read 17,734 times
I've lived in Wilkes Barre all my life and just recently moved out of state for job reasons. I went to Wilkes Barre school district but I choose to send my kids to private school. Wilkes Barre has alot of nice people still living there but the city is going down hill fast. Alot of drugs. Downtown is starting to look nice, we finally got street lights! In my opinion Kingston is no better than W-B you have to go farther away from W-B to get away from the crime. There was recently a rape in Kirby park and a rape by Heights Elementary. About a month or so ago a guy went into a hair salon and bashed some ladies with a hammer. I could never have anything nice in my front yard because it would either get stolen or destroyed. If I ever move back I would NOT buy a house in W-B, I feel bad saying that because I love W-B it's my home town and I miss it and the people there. But it is not safe or a great place to raise kids. I would look into Mountain Top. Just my opinion. Good luck on the move.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel212 View Post
I've lived in Wilkes Barre all my life and just recently moved out of state for job reasons. I went to Wilkes Barre school district but I choose to send my kids to private school. Wilkes Barre has alot of nice people still living there but the city is going down hill fast. Alot of drugs. Downtown is starting to look nice, we finally got street lights! In my opinion Kingston is no better than W-B you have to go farther away from W-B to get away from the crime. There was recently a rape in Kirby park and a rape by Heights Elementary. About a month or so ago a guy went into a hair salon and bashed some ladies with a hammer. I could never have anything nice in my front yard because it would either get stolen or destroyed. If I ever move back I would NOT buy a house in W-B, I feel bad saying that because I love W-B it's my home town and I miss it and the people there. But it is not safe or a great place to raise kids. I would look into Mountain Top. Just my opinion. Good luck on the move.

Thanks for your infomation! how far are things from Mountain Top? Is it really bad in the winter driving down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Not to mention that Mountaintop is, as it name says, on top of a mountain. Which means that the only way down to the Wilkes-Barre area, where you will have to travel for pretty much all of your shopping and entertainment, is Rt 309, which is a steep treacherous hill leading down the mountain from Mountaintop. Personally, I would not want to be anywhere near it in winter.

I heard Dallas was good too!

Last edited by moose; 09-14-2007 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: wanted to add more

Old 09-14-2007, 09:13 AM

5 posts, read 17,734 times
I use to make it up to Mountain Top from my house in W-B in ten min. I don't think the mountain is that bad to travel just take it slow and be careful in the bad weather. I don't think we get a lot of bad weather in the winter anyway. I think the Dallas area is also nice.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:23 AM

103 posts, read 361,459 times
Default Mountaintop

I tell everyone do not move to Mountaintop! Biggest mistake I ever made in my life. All the people are rude and mean and very unfriendly. And driving down that mountain to get to work in the winter is a living hell. Plus there are no places to shop. You have to drive down the mountain to buy anything. There are a few food stores but they run out of everything quickly.
All young people moving there and trying to take over the place. And the kids are so spoiled rotten. They make Eddie Haskell look like a saint!
And the schools aren't that great there. I should know. My relative was the superintendent!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
I tell everyone do not move to Mountaintop! Biggest mistake I ever made in my life. All the people are rude and mean and very unfriendly. And driving down that mountain to get to work in the winter is a living hell. Plus there are no places to shop. You have to drive down the mountain to buy anything. There are a few food stores but they run out of everything quickly.
All young people moving there and trying to take over the place. And the kids are so spoiled rotten. They make Eddie Haskell look like a saint!
And the schools aren't that great there. I should know. My relative was the superintendent!
Wow! Thank for the info. It sounds really bad.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:18 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,924 times
For someone moving from out of town I would recomend Mountaintop or the Back Mountain area. There are more transplants there. The locals in the valley can be a bit unfriendly if they did not go to high school with you or all of your other relatives. Basically you should decide if you like a bit more rural of an area or want to be closer to a town. If you do move to Mountaintop the Welcome Wagon group there was a great way to meet people, at least it was when I lived there.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:19 AM

47 posts, read 100,201 times
So tell me what all of you think about these areas now in 2014???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania