U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 AM

7,931 posts, read 14,936,995 times

Advertisements

Not that I see any problem with Da U having a medical school, but to me, this reeks of typical NEPA politics. Something tells me this was the plan all along, but the med school starting out independent was just a way to funnel tax dollars to it before Da U takes it over.

University of Scranton, Commonwealth Medical College explore affiliation - News - The Times-Tribune
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM

4,083 posts, read 8,630,341 times
I have been saying all along that the only institution in the region with the money and resources to take over the school was Da U. Its really no surprise since they share faculty and Da U offers pre-med.

Perfect match made in non-profit heaven....

Da U gets that much more of our land for nothing........Now they will get a whole new school built and paid for by the citizens of PA.

As well as Northeast Intermediate School in the not so distant future...

Holy Cross church and the former Shilo Baptist church with Bethal AME church coming soon....

They will own that entire area just short of absorbing Coopers for a cafeteria and we will see nothing for any of it...

Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM

Da U is buying Holy Cross church? Well I guess that's not so bad since nothing else is going on there.

But if SSD unloads NE Intermediate for a song, that will infuriate me. Its not like the school district has money laying around to build a new school, and I don't think South and West have enough space for the kids from NE (and then add on the cost of having to bus kids from NE to South and West, who now live in walking distance to school...but hey, that's more taxpayer dollars to Louie). We'll be on the hook for another unnecessary new school building project and all the kickbacks and crony labor built in to the price....Highland Associates and Quandel must need the business.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:06 PM

Holy Cross? I think... The corner of Washington n East Gibson, bought by uncle Lou donated to med- school now a parking lot to be, just like Shilo.

They will get Northeast, they already have the shop building segregated off and added to med school land and the SSD is giving them the right of first refusal on the sale. We all know its going to happen. Probably Doherty's last give away...

Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Oh OK, I was thinking the Holy Cross church just up the street from the South Side complex, the one that Bolus bought.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 7,245 times
I wish that PASSHE, the PA State system would partner with the Med School.

It would give PASSHE a presence in Scranton, its the public university system of the state, and would enhance the entire PASSHE system.

However, with the budget cuts proposed by the state to PASSHE, it will never happen sadly.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchill View Post
I wish that PASSHE, the PA State system would partner with the Med School.

It would give PASSHE a presence in Scranton, its the public university system of the state, and would enhance the entire PASSHE system.

However, with the budget cuts proposed by the state to PASSHE, it will never happen sadly.
I agree. I'd love it if a PA state system university was to come to Scranton. This area needs a 4 year PUBLIC college as an affordable option to all of the overpriced private colleges in this area. Sure, PSU Worthington does have bachelors degree programs, but the degrees offered are limited.

Why is it that almost all of the PA state universities are all in small towns in the middle of nowhere (Bloomsburg, Mansfield, Clarion, Kutztown, Shippensburg, etc). Would make more sense for these schools to have been established in Scranton, Harrisburg, Erie, etc.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:44 PM

232 posts, read 329,500 times
No affiliation with the medical school, so where is the big Jesuit conspiracy?

UofS finally gets the South Side Complex though!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 PM

Da U told Da Med Skol to pound sand in May when they realized it would be a financial disaster that would drain their coffers...

No affiliation for medical college, University of Scranton

Quote:
"After careful and thorough analysis assisted by national experts, we have decided to end affiliation discussions and commit ourselves to strengthening and expanding the various forms of collaboration that have marked our relationship since TCMC was founded," according to the statement released Monday from university President the Rev. Kevin P. Quinn, S.J., and Lois Margaret Nora, M.D., the medical college's interim dean and president.

In February, the school presidents said an affiliation could be beneficial to both institutions, and to the community. Last summer, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, which accredits American medical schools, notified the college that it would be put on probation because of financial difficulties.
As far as the Complex goes its just another addition to the properties, streets and taxes Da U is robbing the taxpayers of this city out of with the help of that Scumbag Doherty...

AT LEAST SOMEBODY TRIED TO STOP AT LEADT ONE OF THE QUESTIONABLE TRANSACTIONS....REMEMBER MELLOW HELPED TO PUSH A LAW THROUGH SO THAT PUBLIC DEEDED PARKS CAN BE SOLD BY THEIR CITIES JUST SO DA U COULD GET THAT PLACE..

At least Mellow got nailed for something, now just waiting on Doherty to go down..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>