Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:01 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,271,885 times

Advertisements

I'd like you all to act as urban planners and try to come up with an excellent idea for the Hotel Sterling lot. I've posted this before many times, and wrote numerous letters to the editor's of the local papers and powers that be in the county on my idea ("Wyoming Valley Marketplace")...a large regional urban market, like Reading Terminal Market in Philly (not as large of course), but I believe this would be a first for NEPA, unique to the Wyoming Valley, and serve the entire community unlike condos or office space that would only be used by those who live or work there I believe it could be tied directly to the River Common, and even feature a pedestrian bridge connecting the marketplace to the Riverfront. Anyway, I'm sick of typing about it. What are some of your ideas and visions for that lot? What would you like to see in downtown W-B or NEPA that we currently don't have? What do we need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
W-B proud, I like this idea! The things that I would like to see in downtown Wilkes-Barre are as follows.

A good supermarket. Personally, I'd like to see a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods. I love Wegmam's, but that's not Wilkes-Barre to me.

Some stores that I miss from my old home town - Ann Taylor Loft, Bass Outlet, Van Husen Outlet, Chico's, Hallmark Shop, Talbot's ( but they have one in Kingston) American Eagle, Coach, Polo, maybe an antique shop or a gently used furniture store?

I am trying to think of something that would not compete directly with any existing older stores such as Bartikowsky or Boscov...

Old 02-23-2012, 03:08 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
I'd love to see something like Reading Terminal Market open in that space. I grew up in the Heights section of Wilkes-Barre. We bought our chicken from Heights Poultry, our meat from Kaufman's grocery (corner of Grant and Coal, they had a great butcher), our bread from Keystate or Kornblat. We had to drive downtown to get seafood from Fink's market.

I'm glad that W-B has a farmer's marker day, but who can get there on a Thursday?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 AM

Love the Framer's Market as well, but it's only one day per week and in the Spring and Summer. II think a Trader Joe's would do well, and not take up an enormous amount of space.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,083,852 times
Whole foods!!!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,814,196 times
Whole Foods or Trader Joe's would be nice, but even if they came to this area, its pretty much a guarantee it won't be anywhere in the center of the city, it would almost definitely be in W-B Twp in the area of the arena. I don't think this area as a whole has the median income that it would take for one of those stores to find it worthwhile to locate here. Probably a little high dollar for NEPA.

Even the Lehigh Valley doesn't have either of these stores, the closest seem to be in suburban Philadelphia or Northern NJ.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:09 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,093,594 times
It will most likely become a parking lot or parking garage. Folks can dream, but reality is what it is......

Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'd love to see something like Reading Terminal Market open in that space. I grew up in the Heights section of Wilkes-Barre. We bought our chicken from Heights Poultry, our meat from Kaufman's grocery (corner of Grant and Coal, they had a great butcher), our bread from Keystate or Kornblat. We had to drive downtown to get seafood from Fink's market.

I'm glad that W-B has a farmer's marker day, but who can get there on a Thursday?
That is a great idea!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:44 PM

I think the area could defiantly support something like a Whole Foods, or a Trader Joe's. Just in this short post this idea was mentioned three times.

These is no place to shop for an entire meal in downtown Wilkes-Barre. Also, there are a dearth of healthy places. Even a Trader Joe's (which certainly takes up a lot less room than a Whole Foods, would be a help.

I also think that high end boutique stores would sustain themselves - especially catering to people from West Side, who already come here to dine, and parents of King's and Wilkes students.

What about a Day Spa? I would absolutely use that.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,390 times
I would like to see several outlets like, Nike, Van Husen, Polo and other outlet stores. Possibly a 24 hour diner. Just sometimes you need to get something to eat at 3:30 in the morning and don't want to cook it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania