Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaklander View Post
You can bet your bottom dollar that a high percentage of the crime in these gated developments never get to the media. What is the advantage for the elected officers in these places to let the real facts and figures out? All that will do is attract more of the wrong people and decrease property values. And yet, seems like numerous people here push these nightmares on people looking to move here.
This is not relative to Wilkes-Barre. The gated developments exist mainly in the Poconos and as far as numerous people pushing them, I can only think of one or two.

The city of Wilkes-Barre has become a haven for the dispossessed because of the relative ease of acquiring benefits and selling drugs. That doesn't mean that there are no good people living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
for the dispossessed because of the relative ease of acquiring benefits...
That's certainly one big reason, they come here becsue PA is generous with the benefits and the crime is following them. Liberal social policies have destroyed black communities in the inner city and it's creeping into our area over the last two decades.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:47 PM

104 posts, read 189,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Need more police presence here.

This just happened in Pine Ridge in Lehman township this past Friday.
State Police investigate attempted kidnapping - News - The Times-Tribune

This happened last year in Monroe County but Denis Lyttle lives in The Glen at Tamiment. He's out on bail last I heard.
Three Men Charged in Kidnapping | WNEP.com

This happened 2 years ago in Saw Creek Estates.
Attempted kidnapping reported in Saw Creek Estates | PoconoRecord.com
Re: the second incident...not that I'm pleased to have that guy as a neighbor, and I agree there needs to be more police presence in Bushkill...but to be fair, this happened to a grown man with a history of drug dealing. According to the Pocono Record (Three charged in kidnapping of Blakeslee man | PoconoRecord.com), "Police said the alleged victim, Brian Maier, told them he once sold drugs and that he had been kidnapped because a friend owed one of the suspects drug money."

I find the other two incidents very troubling. I'm glad neither attempted abduction was successful.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:48 PM

21 posts, read 28,571 times
Quote:
This is not relative to Wilkes-Barre. The gated developments exist mainly in the Poconos and as far as numerous people pushing them, I can only think of one or two.
The title of the thread is "The Bad, the terrible and the worst of NEPA" Last time I checked, the gated communities ARE located in the NEPA region. Seems my post IS relative to the posted topic. Your condescending effort to correct me IS off topic however.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaklander View Post
The title of the thread is "The Bad, the terrible and the worst of NEPA" Last time I checked, the gated communities ARE located in the NEPA region. Seems my post IS relative to the posted topic. Your condescending effort to correct me IS off topic however.
Condescending was not my intent, but if that's your perception...

I simply made a statement that gated communities exist mainly in the Poconos. Yes, indeed, the Poconos are located in the NEPA region; unfortunately, many people forget that there is a lot more to the NEPA region than just the Poconos.

Part of the "Bad, the terrible and the worst of NEPA" does exist in Wilkes-Barre - along with some decent people who would like to see it better.

Nothing more to see here.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
Quote:

I simply made a statement that gated communities exist mainly in the Poconos. Yes, indeed, the Poconos are located in the NEPA region; unfortunately, many people forget that there is a lot more to the NEPA region than just the Poconos.

Part of the "Bad, the terrible and the worst of NEPA" does exist in Wilkes-Barre - along with some decent people who would like to see it better.

I love the way you express yourself! Let's face it there many are many areas of this gorgeous part of PA that could use a good flush to clean out the system! Have a good day and lets make it a great one for all those that we lost to soon on this day not so long ago.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:30 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:

I still think that it boils down to: How do we correct a downhill slide? One police report after another does not help the image of our area. I am not suggesting to stop reporting! But we do need ways to turn away from the violence and destruction. Where are all the good stories of gun clubs and shooting events? Actually I would like to see more stories of community involvement (Boy/Girl Scouts, litter cleanup, neighborhood watch, feeding the poor, etc.). We just need more stories of people helping people and setting a better example for our young. I also realize that this is a simplistic look at the problems and that it is extremely hard to change the drug/gang attitudes. It is also extremely hard for commuters that do not have the time to spend with their family. But we have to start someplace.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
^^^Granted. There are good things going on in the Poconos and they need to be highlighted more. Maybe perception could be changed in that regard. The tourist industry is the only business sector that is thriving up here. Hence, the money grab in the underground economy.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:10 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
^^^Granted. There are good things going on in the Poconos and they need to be highlighted more. Maybe perception could be changed in that regard. The tourist industry is the only business sector that is thriving up here. Hence, the money grab in the underground economy.
For years the tourist industry suppressed stories of criminal activity. They did not want negative press. It is a relatively new phenomenon that our local press is reporting most criminal activity. You have to understand that most of the advertising dollars came from that tourist industry. It might not even be the fault of the local press; there were problems with the different municipalities and their reporting (possibly politically influenced)? But it is what it is and there is now more crime being reported + possibly there is just more crime to report?

There is also the problem of sensationalism. Goody two-shoes stories are not sensational. The press wants to get your attention and we have a very short attention span today. You spend hours or days on a resume and the interviewer traditionally gives it a twenty second glance. So; how do we highlight stories that focus on the positive?

Old 09-12-2013, 05:52 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
For years the tourist industry suppressed stories of criminal activity. They did not want negative press. It is a relatively new phenomenon that our local press is reporting most criminal activity. You have to understand that most of the advertising dollars came from that tourist industry. It might not even be the fault of the local press; there were problems with the different municipalities and their reporting (possibly politically influenced)? But it is what it is and there is now more crime being reported + possibly there is just more crime to report?

There is also the problem of sensationalism. Goody two-shoes stories are not sensational. The press wants to get your attention and we have a very short attention span today. You spend hours or days on a resume and the interviewer traditionally gives it a twenty second glance. So; how do we highlight stories that focus on the positive?
If we as consumers stop responding to the sensationalism the media feeds us, they will change. No matter what we would like to think the news is big business. So if we change their bottom line they will take notice and change. We as individuals have to show our friends, families, and young people that it is not true that nice guys finish last and we do not have to be a dog eat dog community to prosper, grow and be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania