Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

To the OP, you may like some of these communities, - Candenises, Buck Hill Falls, Mountainhome and Newfoundland.

There is a school district named Middle Smithfield that some people seem to like quite a bit.
Best of luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I'm pretty sure Middle Smithfield is part of the East Stroudsburg SD, and not an entity unto itself. Many posters here have been less than complimentary about ESSD.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
East Stroudsburg Area is split in two. Depending on where you live your children either go to JT Lambert Intermediate and then South HS, or Lehman Intermediate and then North HS.

For example if you live in Smithfield you go to South, and for Middle Smithfield it's North.

If you compare test scores and reading proficiency between the two, there is a big difference. A lot of the newer developments, gated communities and such are in North.

It's not enough just to ask the RE agent what school district you're looking at. You have to ask what HS the kids would go to. Same for Pocono Mtn, big difference between East and West.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:17 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,444 times
Jtab, is it true that ESSD is still in corrective action and the district must offer parents the option of going elsewhere in the district? I know that was true about three years ago but I don't know if they pulled themselves up out of the gutter.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:55 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There is no "Mayberry", now, or at the time that the show was first aired. I like the program, but it presented a very distorted view of the American south at a time when it was less than a happy, pleasant place to live for many inhabitants.
= if you think such a place exists or existed your smoking something mighty nice!! Unfortunately, it never has existed and wherever there was a feeling of "Mayberry" anywhere in America is long gone...especially in the Poconos or NEPA...

Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post
Jtab, is it true that ESSD is still in corrective action and the district must offer parents the option of going elsewhere in the district? I know that was true about three years ago but I don't know if they pulled themselves up out of the gutter.
Factual: East Stroudsburg has two high schools North and South. North is fed by two junior high schools and 1/2 of another. The same is true for South. It would seem the people who were offered a choice of which high school to attend were those living in the middle of the district, where travel would be roughly equi-distant.

Although your dissatisfaction with the general area is well-known, it seems unnecessary to defame the district. A district in a once-bucolic area that has been overwhelmed by rapid growth.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Factual: East Stroudsburg has two high schools North and South. North is fed by two junior high schools and 1/2 of another. The same is true for South. It would seem the people who were offered a choice of which high school to attend were those living in the middle of the district, where travel would be roughly equi-distant.

Although your dissatisfaction with the general area is well-known, it seems unnecessary to defame the district. A district in a once-bucolic area that has been overwhelmed by rapid growth.
My understanding is that South is fed only by JTL and North only by Lehmann. They are called "Intermediate schools" and I am not aware of any "Junior High Schools" in ESASD so I don't know where you're getting the info that each HS is fed by 2-1/2 Jr. Highs.

The rapid growth in the early 2000's and the rapid shrinkage of the tax base since 2008 have really hit Monroe County hard, with taxpayers struggling to pay for giant, luxurious school buildings that sit half empty.

We've been sending our kids to Notre Dame since 1998, not because of "bad public schools" but because it's a personal preference. I believe ES South and JTL are fine schools, and our kids have a number of friends and teammates from those schools.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
My understanding is that South is fed only by JTL and North only by Lehmann. They are called "Intermediate schools" and I am not aware of any "Junior High Schools" in ESASD so I don't know where you're getting the info that each HS is fed by 2-1/2 Jr. Highs.

The rapid growth in the early 2000's and the rapid shrinkage of the tax base since 2008 have really hit Monroe County hard, with taxpayers struggling to pay for giant, luxurious school buildings that sit half empty.

We've been sending our kids to Notre Dame since 1998, not because of "bad public schools" but because it's a personal preference. I believe ES South and JTL are fine schools, and our kids have a number of friends and teammates from those schools.
I bow to your superior knowledge. Who says a Catholic school education isn't better than a public school?

My info comes from the parent of students at South.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 AM

755 posts, read 2,334,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyk. View Post
Hello to everyone,
My name is John and i live in Philadelphia...Married and new dad of twin boys 26 Months old..Love the county life style and think its a great way for my boys to grow up..I'm an avid hunter and fisherman and lived in western PA. so I'm comfortable going from city life to rural life...I DO NOT know the POCONO area and what I'm starting to hear is concerning...Where can i buy a nice house 190,000 ISH good schools, nice people, woods, and a safe area for my family ? OR do i need to go West out toward Altoona where i know the area ? Please help !
SHOHOLA is IT, the MAYBERRY of NE PA. 2 cops we affectionately call Andy & Barney, and they laugh about it. 45 sq miles of sparsely populated land with approximately 2500 full time residents. There are a couple of "communities" with in the township. There are also many beautiful homes that are definitely within your price range. Delaware Valley School District is one of the best in the state. Both of my kids are doing awesome. There are a few areas of state gamelands for hunting and fishing. Shohola Falls Recreation area is a big part of it. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:51 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm pretty sure Middle Smithfield is part of the East Stroudsburg SD, and not an entity unto itself. Many posters here have been less than complimentary about ESSD.
That's true, East Stroudsburg seems to not have a very good reputation as a school district. The person who mentioned the area did say that she lived in "Middle Smithfield", and that her children, who are elementary school age, were in the "top rated" Middle Smithfield Schools.

It could be, as with many larger districts, that the elementary schools start out excellent in one section of the district, and as the student leave Elementary to Middle School and so on, that they decline.

I never researched the area frankly, because it sounded like everything that I was not looking for in PA, and I had left behind in NY - a semi rural suburb, with very large homes, mostly newer construction, on larger property. She said it was very "family oriented" and "child centered."

So I thought I'd through it out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania