Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,539 times

Advertisements

Hi Im looking to sign a lease agreement for an apartment, after reviewing the inital contract Ive found several red flags! What is the normal late fee on payments per day? Ive never had a contract that was more than $10.00 per day after the 5th of the month. In addition, sinse when does a tenant have to purchase liability insurance for the landlord? I understand insurance for my personal belongings, but this company is requiring me to purchase $100,000.00 insurance policy.

Thanks for helping!

Last edited by Kait12; 03-19-2012 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: mis spelled words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM

106,658 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i got to say ,anyone that concerned about late fees is no one i would want to rent to.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,288 times
I don't know what the usual late fees are but I think they should be reasonable. Also, I don't know anything about a landlord forcing you to get insurance. but let me tell you what I do know. There are alot of landlords out there that are out to get all they can and abuse the tenant. I rented 2 times in Pa and both times they were awful! One gave me 30 days to move out so she could move her son in and her son actually came to the house a few times when I was working and was verbally abusive to my son! She kept my security and was quite nasty. The house was in better shape than when I moved in! I kept it up and replaced worn out blinds and things and informed her of structural problems that could have become huge money problems if not taken care of quickly. The second was just a gold digging piece of garbage. Liar, forcing his way into the house when he wanted. Accusing me of all kinds of things. Again, at my own cost I replaced worn out screens and other things. He also kept my security. I am glad to be out of Pa rentals. Left a real bad taste in my mouth. I have rented back on LI and the landlord was wonderful. I had NO problems! The rent was a little late a few times and he was very gracious. I informed him of important repairs and he had them done immediately. He had me buy new appliances and take it off the rent. Can't say enough about a normal, nice person he was. The house is pristine.
Be wary. Landlords in Pa seem to think they can do anything and ignore the laws. I would look elsewhere, if I were you.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:30 AM
sf2

5 posts, read 11,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kait12 View Post
Hi Im looking to sign a lease agreement for an apartment, after reviewing the inital contract Ive found several red flags! What is the normal late fee on payments per day? Ive never had a contract that was more than $10.00 per day after the 5th of the month. In addition, sinse when does a tenant have to purchase liability insurance for the landlord? I understand insurance for my personal belongings, but this company is requiring me to purchase $100,000.00 insurance policy.

Thanks for helping!
You aren't purchasing insurance for the landlord you are purchasing it for yourself for things caused by you.

Also it would a red flag if a renter were worried about a late fee.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:32 AM
sf2

5 posts, read 11,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
Be wary. Landlords in Pa seem to think they can do anything and ignore the laws. I would look elsewhere, if I were you.
You have had experiences with every landlord in PA?

Old 03-20-2012, 04:00 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
I don't know what the usual late fees are but I think they should be reasonable. Also, I don't know anything about a landlord forcing you to get insurance. but let me tell you what I do know. There are alot of landlords out there that are out to get all they can and abuse the tenant. I rented 2 times in Pa and both times they were awful! One gave me 30 days to move out so she could move her son in and her son actually came to the house a few times when I was working and was verbally abusive to my son! She kept my security and was quite nasty. The house was in better shape than when I moved in! I kept it up and replaced worn out blinds and things and informed her of structural problems that could have become huge money problems if not taken care of quickly. The second was just a gold digging piece of garbage. Liar, forcing his way into the house when he wanted. Accusing me of all kinds of things. Again, at my own cost I replaced worn out screens and other things. He also kept my security. I am glad to be out of Pa rentals. Left a real bad taste in my mouth. I have rented back on LI and the landlord was wonderful. I had NO problems! The rent was a little late a few times and he was very gracious. I informed him of important repairs and he had them done immediately. He had me buy new appliances and take it off the rent. Can't say enough about a normal, nice person he was. The house is pristine.
How is it possible to denigrate every landlord in Pennsylvania on your own limited experience? I have rented numerous times in Pennsylvania - SEPA and NEPA - and have never had the experience you describe. That doesn't mean that I think every PA landlord qualifies for sainthood.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 PM

I didn't say EVERY landlord in Pa. Geez. I shared my experience and said "alot" of landlords are greedy because others I knew had similar experiences. Maybe I am a little bitter- I'll give you that.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
I was a greedy landlord .. I want my money on the day its Due .. Not a story ... The Morg company charges late fee's .. If your late Then you pay .. I charged $5 per day after the 7th day of being late ..

Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I was a greedy landlord .. I want my money on the day its Due .. Not a story ... The Morg company charges late fee's .. If your late Then you pay .. I charged $5 per day after the 7th day of being late ..
Greedy??? LMAO!!! That is downright more than reasonable! When I said I was late a few times, I meant by a few days mainly due to holiday mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania