Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,163,891 times

Advertisements

That parking lot is not public.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,893,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Parking garages are appropriate in dense Downtown environments. Parking lots aren't. Any new construction on the Sterling's site SHOULD include a parking structure attached to it and/or built within it (or, ideally, UNDER it if it wasn't so cost-prohibitive to do so).

I realize I'm not popular on this sub-forum, but with that being said I'm not backing down on this subject. It looks as if the Hotel Sterling is destined to come down one way or another, much to most preservationists' chagrin. I've accepted that, but I'm NOT accepting that a surface parking lot is the best way to redevelop that parcel. There's already a large surface parking lot behind the Irem Temple facing North River Street (near King's)---I parked there when I went to school there. River Street shouldn't be lined with surface parking lots. It should be lined with the River Commons on one side and restaurants, shops, markets, etc. on the other side (with REAR parking lots and a new garage or two thrown into the mix).
I don't recall saying at any point, that the Sterling should be replaced with a specific type of parking. Call it a lot, call it a garage, call it what you will, the area is in need of parking if people are to utilize the RiverCommon.
Actually, a multi-level structure would make the most sense. But whatever it is, the need is immediate.

There are those who would insist that those of us touting the parking idea are a). threatened by activity, or b). too lazy to walk/run/bike to the city, or c). blind to the esthetics of the "gateway to the city". I submit to you that none of the options apply to me, or to others who are not young (you), toned (you), and fit enough for the walk (you) to a venue we will be unable to enjoy once we arrive because we are weary due to age or infirmity.

Your popularity is not at issue here. Your insistence that only you have the right idea does not play well. We all have a valid POV owing to the differing circumstances of our lives

How about this? Build a parking garage (and turn it over to some corrupt authority to administer). Or leave the Sterling facade intact, and build a multi-level parking garage behind it, and (turn it over to some corrupt authority to administer it) but it will look nice. Voila!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I don't recall saying at any point, that the Sterling should be replaced with a specific type of parking. Call it a lot, call it a garage, call it what you will, the area is in need of parking if people are to utilize the RiverCommon.
Actually, a multi-level structure would make the most sense. But whatever it is, the need is immediate.

There are those who would insist that those of us touting the parking idea are a). threatened by activity, or b). too lazy to walk/run/bike to the city, or c). blind to the esthetics of the "gateway to the city". I submit to you that none of the options apply to me, or to others who are not young (you), toned (you), and fit enough for the walk (you) to a venue we will be unable to enjoy once we arrive because we are weary due to age or infirmity.

Your popularity is not at issue here. Your insistence that only you have the right idea does not play well. We all have a valid POV owing to the differing circumstances of our lives

How about this? Build a parking garage (and turn it over to some corrupt authority to administer). Or leave the Sterling facade intact, and build a multi-level parking garage behind it, and (turn it over to some corrupt authority to administer it) but it will look nice. Voila!
Can I add another? d.) Those of us who are fit and relatively young may have other things that prohibit us from walking to the riverfront. To walk on the riverfront.

I don't know any "lazy" people who would even use the riverfront in the first place.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM

23,878 posts, read 32,156,993 times
I am against the parking lot idea. I think there is sufficient parking, and if I do drive downtown, I walk once there.
I never suggested that people who want a parking lot do not like walking. But it seems to me that we do have a great little walkable city. It's not a suburb. We have those right in Wilkes-Barre Township, and when I want to do "suburban things", like drive and go to Big Box stores, I do it there.

I think the whole issue of the Sterling is sad, and I am still hoping for some type of miracle. But the dream of the restoration of this once grand hotel seems to be getting to be increasingly unrealistic. However I do know some very realistic people, who are far better connected than I, who think it's a possibility. I hope that they are right and I am wrong.

In terms of Wilkes-Barre, since I first saw it about six years ago, it has undergone an incredible transformation! At first Scranton drew us to NEPA. We loved the architecture. The large homes and the Park. But walkability factor, in Scranton put us off.
Wilkes-Barre is looking good. Expect better things In the future!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:51 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,752,146 times
The Sterling saga is like part II of the Hotel Casey in Scranton....years and years of plans to restore the historic building, until it finally rots beyond repair and has to be ripped down. At least a new hotel ended up on the Casey site, but its still not as attractive of a building as the Casey was.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 PM

210 posts, read 379,335 times
There is sufficient parking if the event is small, or you want to park illegally.

Nobody that has any common sense can expect people to park in the bus terminal, and walk to the riverfront. It isn't practical. Not to mention, if you walk the wrong way, you get to walk by all the dirt balls hanging out in front of that check cashing place.

The riverfront does not have accessible parking that is legal and conveinent to park at for families. Like it or not, if you don't cater to families, your not going to get a lot of people attending events. As others have mentioned, lugging chairs, kids and other crap across the market street bridge is crazy.

Although the mix use, parking and retail building sounds nice, it is my humble opinion that with a city as small as Wilkes barre, it really can't support much more in the way of restaurants or bars.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,893,774 times
Hello!!! Is anyone listening? Walking to the city is fine - good for you - if you live in the city!
Everyone has issues. If you can only see your own POV you certainly have tunnel vision.

Magritte has little kids. I know how hard that is because I once had little kids myself. It takes forever to get them ready to go somewhere and to pack up all the crap you need to take. Then you have to lug it while the little ones, on the walk, stop to look at every leaf, stone, worm or ant on the sidewalk. By the time you get to the venue, the event is over! I'm sure that she isn't the only Mom with this issue.

I am 76. I don't live in the city. But I've already explained that.
Time was, believe it or not, when walking from the Kirby Park side of the bridge into the city wasn't prohibitive. Now it's a different story. And I am only one of the aged population.

When I go to the beach in the summer, I walk the boardwalk. It's a long walk but I'm in no hurry. When it's time to turn around and go back to where we parked the car, I can jump on the tram and ride back. Who will get me back to my car when the event at the RiverCommon is over?

And what of the disabled vets who are able to live a relatively normal life after their service, but who do have some limitations?

People come from out of town to visit the "attraction" that is the RiverCommon. Should they be expected to walk here?

There have been 13 pages of arguments - pro and con - as to the need for parking close to the river. Other than the esthetics of a "parking lot" and "why can't people just walk there", the anti-parking group hasn't really come up with a reasonable argument. But they are entitled to their opinions. As am I.

Since I feel that I've said all I have to say, I'm going to say so long to this thread.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,752,146 times
I'm not anti-parking...just anti parking LOT on the Sterling site. A parking lot in another accessible (but less prominent) site or a mixed-use garage on the Sterling site is fine with me.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM

210 posts, read 379,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I'm not anti-parking...just anti parking LOT on the Sterling site. A parking lot in another accessible (but less prominent) site or a mixed-use garage on the Sterling site is fine with me.
Maybe a parking lot with a park. Picture a small park, with benches, flowers, maybe a fountain with a reflecting pool. Kill two birds with one stone.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Hello!!! Is anyone listening? Walking to the city is fine - good for you - if you live in the city!
Everyone has issues. If you can only see your own POV you certainly have tunnel vision.

Magritte has little kids. I know how hard that is because I once had little kids myself. It takes forever to get them ready to go somewhere and to pack up all the crap you need to take. Then you have to lug it while the little ones, on the walk, stop to look at every leaf, stone, worm or ant on the sidewalk. By the time you get to the venue, the event is over! I'm sure that she isn't the only Mom with this issue.

I am 76. I don't live in the city. But I've already explained that.
Time was, believe it or not, when walking from the Kirby Park side of the bridge into the city wasn't prohibitive. Now it's a different story. And I am only one of the aged population.

When I go to the beach in the summer, I walk the boardwalk. It's a long walk but I'm in no hurry. When it's time to turn around and go back to where we parked the car, I can jump on the tram and ride back. Who will get me back to my car when the event at the RiverCommon is over?

And what of the disabled vets who are able to live a relatively normal life after their service, but who do have some limitations?

People come from out of town to visit the "attraction" that is the RiverCommon. Should they be expected to walk here?

There have been 13 pages of arguments - pro and con - as to the need for parking close to the river. Other than the esthetics of a "parking lot" and "why can't people just walk there", the anti-parking group hasn't really come up with a reasonable argument. But they are entitled to their opinions. As am I.

Since I feel that I've said all I have to say, I'm going to say so long to this thread.

Exactly TG!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania