Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times

Advertisements

I need to switch mine up this year .. What grows good in your garden? I have a 20' x 20' area thats all tilled and ready to go .. I wont plant yet as I feel we will be getting some snow again..
But Im interested in what everyone else grows , and esp what thrives up here ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:45 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Cabbage, lettuce, radishes, broccoli, carrots, chives and onions are good cold weather crops. Hold off on tomatoes - usually they should not go in until around June 1’st. This year you might be able to plant them earlier - if the current weather trend persist. Tomatoes do not grow in cold soil and can just rot. I plan on starting some tomatoes in my greenhouse within the next week.

I just planted some lettuce yesterday. I know that it is supposed to go down to around freezing Monday night. The ten day forecast looks pretty good. Yes; I remember having snow in April.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM

I just wanted to say that our ten day forecast on the Weather Channel is showing lows of 24 and 29 degrees for Monday (the 26th) and Tuesday (27th). That could be cold enough to hurt some of our newly planted (unprotected) crops, flowers and bushes.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:12 PM

I have yet to plant anything .. I'll wait as I know better after living here 20 odd yrs ,,

Old 03-24-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I have yet to plant anything .. I'll wait as I know better after living here 20 odd yrs ,,

I’ll let you know how my lettuce works out.

I have been here for 65 years and yes; I have seen some pretty cold temperatures late in the spring. I used to work nights at a freight dock in Mount Pocono. What amazed me are all the late spring snows or early fall snows that nobody ever sees - some melt before anybody goes to work. I also remember freezing to death on the first day of fishing season around April 15th. Traditionally we get at least one snow storm in early April. This year has been unseasonably warm.

I’m pretty sure that I can start tomatoes in my unheated greenhouse. It is usually about twenty plus degrees warmer in there during the daylight hours.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:09 AM

I would like to get a greenhouse one of thee years .. Just a small 20' x 20' That'll do just fine ...

Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I would like to get a greenhouse one of thee years .. Just a small 20' x 20' That'll do just fine ...
Here is a link to a thread with a picture of the greenhouse that I built: //www.city-data.com/forum/garden/1476620-greenhouse-grow-shed-project.html

We are basically a scrounges. When my wife spotted free glass in our local “Free Column” that was all that it took. We had to build something with something for free!

It’s not your 20X20 - but you can’t beat the price.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:25 AM

124 posts, read 194,589 times
I tried out Cauliflower last year. I had pretty good results for not really knowing what i am doing. However they take up a lot of space and each plant only gives one floret for the season. I will be sticking with the normal Peppers, tomatoes, green beans, onion... and a grape vine and likely a few pumpkins off on the side if i even attempt a garden this year.

I have garlic growing everywhere for years that my great uncle used to grow it but can never seem to get them to form big cloves. not sure what i am doing worng. Most likely i am doing everything wrong or it is a kind of garlic that does not get very big.

I am very inexperienced if you can't already tell

Old 03-24-2012, 11:44 AM

539 posts, read 1,068,787 times
I just have a small area about 25' x 6'. Last year I planted some Zucchini seeds on the small 6x4 area I cleared of grass, but only got 3 zucchinis. Also had a 4x4 area with radishes which did ok. I had 3 topsy-turvy tomato growers hanging from the rear of the house, but not sure if I'll do that again, the tomatoes were sort of small, but we did get around 30.
Most of the area is still grass, but I can tear it all out and put soil in. I wondering what the best mix is, topsoil plus compost mix? Also, besides tomatoes, what do you think the best yielding crops would be for such a small area? I was thinking of some stringbeans along the chain link fence in one narrow row, maybe try some yellow squash, radishes again and peppers? What takes up little space and does well around here? And besides miracle-gro, what can I add to the water or soil (sprinkle on more compost?) as the season progresses?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:05 PM

124 posts, read 194,589 times
i have always had the best luck with tomatoes. Very low maintanence and they just keep growing large and giving friut till almost the end of fall sometimes. This might be because i live close to the "tomato capital" lol and i have always been told that the coal in the ground provides acidity to the soil that tomatoes love. If you are planting things that don't like acidity you might need to add pulverized limestone to the ground in this area.

I can't help too much withother questions you have. Just that from my experience i always get a few bags of cow manure compost and till that into the soil a week before planting, if the soil is hard like clay peat moss loosens it up a bit. Also miracle grow spray seems to do the job pretty well.

Any type of pepper do good as well as string beans. Squash always seems to grow so well, that it takes over the garden. I've tried watermellon many times and i just don't think we have the climate for those to do well. Again, i am a rookie so take my advice as such lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania