Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:08 PM

15 posts, read 107,504 times

Advertisements

We want to get away from high ny property taxes.Can anyone give me any tips about the Lake Wallenpaupack area. Would it be a good place to relocate with small children. What kind of people does the lake attract?I have to drive to Newark Airport once a week. Is this under 2 hours from there? Any other suggestions on nice PA communities where the folks dont look like total hicks (no offense). I guess monroe county isn't the best I have heard? Where is the area where the environment is destroyed by the underground fires. I want to stay away from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 05:26 AM

84 posts, read 316,545 times
I originally lived in Short Hills, NJ. It was about a 15 min. drive from Newark Airport. I don't live at Lake Wallenpaupack but drive past it when I go back to visit in that area and I would say it is about a 2 hr. - 2 1/2 hr. drive depending on the traffic. In the summer the traffic in the area of the 'big lake' increases greatly. A lot depends on the day of the week and the hour you would be commuting. Hope this helps a little.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:14 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,242,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrose View Post
We want to get away from high ny property taxes.Can anyone give me any tips about the Lake Wallenpaupack area. Would it be a good place to relocate with small children. What kind of people does the lake attract?I have to drive to Newark Airport once a week. Is this under 2 hours from there? Any other suggestions on nice PA communities where the folks dont look like total hicks (no offense). I guess monroe county isn't the best I have heard? Where is the area where the environment is destroyed by the underground fires. I want to stay away from there.
You'll definitely find much more affordable housing costs in the Lake Wallenpaupack area. As far as "young children" are concerned, 99.9% of both Wayne and Pike Counties are comprised of neighborhoods where your children could run amok in your backyard without fear of having a "man with candy" snatching 'em up! LOL! (However, you may still have to worry about a crazy deer eating one of 'em! ) The area attracts mostly upper-middle-class seasonal residents from NYC/NJ, as the population and traffic congestion swell during the summer when they head up to their "second homes." The "underground fires" aren't anywhere near the lake---The town of Centralia, about an hour-and-a-half away is now a "ghost town" because of mine fires, and there is a smaller mine fire still burning to this day in Laurel Run, a suburb of Wilkes-Barre, about 45 minutes to an hour away. Mining wasn't popular in the Poconos; Scranton/Wilkes-Barre was the anthracite "hotbed" (no pun intended...LOL!)

Overall, I'd actually suggest Milford or Matamoras, along the Delaware River in Pike County, to you. Both communities straddle the NJ/PA border, and both belong to the great Delaware Valley School District. Milford is perhaps an hour and twenty minutes from the Newark Airport, so this should be acceptable drive for only one day per week. You are correct in that Monroe County isn't the best place to relocate to at this point in time. For years, elected officials said "MORE, MORE, MORE" to housing developments, strip malls, etc., and now the population is finally catching up with problems such as overcrowded schools, traffic congestion, rising crime, etc. Basically, Monroe County is quickly becoming a microcasm of North Jersey.

FYI, if you DO consider Milford or Matamoras, move to high ground, as the Delaware River has flooded several times now in recent years. Matamoras has conveniences such as a Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc., and the nearest actual enclosed shopping malls are in Middletown, NY, Stroudsburg, or Scranton, all in the range of 30 minutes to an hour away. However, I predict Pike County will have its own indoor shopping mall (GAP, Macy's, Sears, etc.) within the next ten years as the population continues to grow and demands more shopping options.

Hope this helps you out a bit!

Old 09-21-2006, 07:31 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,556,648 times
I love Lake Wallenpaupack! We are also moving to the area as soon as we sell our home down in Florida. There are alot of communities with affordable homes. We are looking for acreage though.
Lake Wallenpaupack Estates is very nice. Tink Wig is also nice.
Woodledge Village is a very nice community.
Tanglewood Lakes, North Tanglewood are also nice areas.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:27 AM

15 posts, read 107,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
I love Lake Wallenpaupack! We are also moving to the area as soon as we sell our home down in Florida. There are alot of communities with affordable homes. We are looking for acreage though.
Lake Wallenpaupack Estates is very nice. Tink Wig is also nice.
Woodledge Village is a very nice community.
Tanglewood Lakes, North Tanglewood are also nice areas.
If you haven't already,check out 1800theland.com. Scranton suggested it.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:42 PM

Default Ok! I sure hope we get there soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrose View Post
If you haven't already,check out 1800theland.com. Scranton suggested it.

Going to check it out. Scranton is a very wise young person. His info here is wonderful.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:45 PM

I just went to the link. It looks like developments. I have to search around and see about rural pieces of property. We don't want to be in a development.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:07 PM

32,604 posts, read 77,242,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
I just went to the link. It looks like developments. I have to search around and see about rural pieces of property. We don't want to be in a development.
You're correct. That link leads you to "Landview Properties", one of the few local housing developers that I actually "admire" because they don't just "clear cut" acres of foliage for cookie-cutter homes, as most of the other developers in the Scranton 'burbs tend to do. Landview offers lot sizes that are generally 1.5+ acres, and they urge homeowners to keep as many trees standing as possible, which I also like. They are developing a new, massive housing development just two miles from Lake Wallenpaupack, so you may be interested in checking that one out! Also "RobRose", Laurel Brook Estates, along Route 115 in Bear Creek, is a neighborhood very similar to the "Ice Lakes" that you visited. Landview just released their final twelve parcels in this development, so you may want to take a drive up there at some point to check it out before it sells out completely. It's about fifteen minutes from Wilkes-Barre, and about twenty minutes from I-80 near Blakeslee. (Would be right around two hours to the NYC area).

Old 09-26-2006, 12:34 PM

Wow, a massive development near the Lake? I don't want to be near any developments. I want country!

Old 05-02-2008, 12:22 PM

58 posts, read 187,228 times
robrose,

Look into Hemlock Farms, it's a beautiful community and has lots to do for the kids. Wallenpaupack School District is one of the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania