Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:42 PM

154 posts, read 408,128 times

Advertisements

Hi all.
My daughter's getting married this summer, and she's looking for someone to perform the ceremony. Though she is spiritual, she is not affiliated with any particular "church." She did get a quote/consultation from a Reverend Whitney somebody or another (based in Factoryville)--$250 for the ceremony. I think that's overpriced for an hour's worth of work. She would prefer a woman perform the ceremony, but that's not obligatory. Any ideas, suggestions, feedback---greatly appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 08:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,088,087 times
I don't know is she does private ceremonies but the pastor at the United Methodist church in West Pittston is a woman.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:59 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,327,294 times
Try the UUCoWV (Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Wyoming Valley)

I'll DM the contact info to you. I'm not a member there but I know of the congregation. They are lovely people.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:29 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,256,390 times
I hope you find someone. However, I have to say, when I read this, the first thing that popped in my head was "like the DJ guy in Northern Exposure who had the minister certificate from Rolling Stone magazine".

Sorry just had to say it.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,830,622 times
I would try calling churches in denominations that allow female clergy, they also tend to be denominations that aren't as strict about marrying people that are not members as Catholic churches are. Try United Methodist, Presbyterian Church (USA), and United Church of Christ. You can search for local churches on their sites:
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Our mission is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. - UMC.org
The United Church of Christ | No Matter Who You Are Or Where You Are On Life's Journey, You're Welcome Here

Old 03-26-2012, 08:50 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,961,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
I hope you find someone. However, I have to say, when I read this, the first thing that popped in my head was "like the DJ guy in Northern Exposure who had the minister certificate from Rolling Stone magazine".

Sorry just had to say it.
That brought back memories of one of the best shows ever on TV.

Chris' ministerial certificate was actually from the Universal Life Church, which was from an advertisement in Rolling Stone.

As far as an officiant, I don't know. I was married by a Justice of the Peace many years ago. My late brother was Mayor in his town and was authorized to perform marriages (I don't know if this is still in effect), and he did do the ceremony in a location of the couple's choice. Sometimes, it was outdoors in a park. Good luck with yout search, lor.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 AM

24,128 posts, read 32,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
Hi all.
My daughter's getting married this summer, and she's looking for someone to perform the ceremony. Though she is spiritual, she is not affiliated with any particular "church." She did get a quote/consultation from a Reverend Whitney somebody or another (based in Factoryville)--$250 for the ceremony. I think that's overpriced for an hour's worth of work. She would prefer a woman perform the ceremony, but that's not obligatory. Any ideas, suggestions, feedback---greatly appreciated. Thank you
The Unity Church in Wilkes Barre is very nice and the minister, a woman is very approachable and open minded. I know quite a few people who attend there and we occasionally go to events and lectures.

The Church itself is a very pretty place for a wedding. It's a pretty, white building with nice stained glass windows. Victorian in style, a pretty place for a wedding.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM

210 posts, read 381,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
Hi all.
I can't help you with a referral, but the cost seems appropriate. The person performing the ceremony has travel time, and they are usually requested to say grace at the reception. so it usually amounts to more than just an hour.

We are members of the church we were married at, the pastor fee was 150.00. Plus $50.00 for the organist and 30.00 for the church sexton.

Maybe you could find a local magistrate to come and do the ceremony, but I doubt it will be less than 250

Old 04-09-2012, 08:40 AM

154 posts, read 408,128 times
I LOVED "Northern Exposure." The DJ guy later turned up as Carrie's love interest Aidan on the old "Sex and The City" series. I wouldn't mind him performing a wedding ceremony for me (or performing anything else for that matter lol)

Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,256,390 times
He was also the groom on My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Ironic, considering the subject of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania