Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 05:54 AM

70 posts, read 128,173 times

Advertisements

Nice pictures Scranton... though all your shots of parking garages and law offices reminded me that's what passes for "prosperity" in much of PA. Sigh...

Hopefully when you are mayor of Scranton things will change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 12:55 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
OH MY GAWD!!!
You are awsome Scranton!!!!! I can't wait to see Tunkhannock!!! Also the other little towns in Susquehanna.
Ok, can you tell me about a great Italian Restaurant in Scranton. I know Old Forge has some great restaurants and isn't far from there. How about good Italian Bread? Pizza and Chinese food???? LOL
I am so excited about moving there I especially love the Uniondale area.
We just may have this house sold real soon. Keep those pictures coming!
You can email me anytime.

OK waiting patiently for the next tour of N.E. Pa.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:33 PM

10 posts, read 43,025 times
Thanks ScrantonWilkesBarre. I have been lurking in these forums for the past couple days and also enjoy your analysis of the region.

Like a lot of people, I too am relocating to Wilkes-Barre, and was wondering if there are any homes like the 'Typical Arthur Avenue home in "Upper Hill"' in Wilkes-Barre. I love that picture. Anyway, I will be working at the Stegmaier building, so I was hoping to find something close to that area.

I am also interested in Mountain Top for the relatively close proximity to work, good schools, and seemingly low crime rate. I was told that the area around the Stegmaier has a lot of drugs and crime especially on Coal St. It's a little discouraging, but I hope the conditions aren't as bad as I imagine it to be.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilllilal View Post
Thanks ScrantonWilkesBarre. I have been lurking in these forums for the past couple days and also enjoy your analysis of the region.

Like a lot of people, I too am relocating to Wilkes-Barre, and was wondering if there are any homes like the 'Typical Arthur Avenue home in "Upper Hill"' in Wilkes-Barre. I love that picture. Anyway, I will be working at the Stegmaier building, so I was hoping to find something close to that area.

I am also interested in Mountain Top for the relatively close proximity to work, good schools, and seemingly low crime rate. I was told that the area around the Stegmaier has a lot of drugs and crime especially on Coal St. It's a little discouraging, but I hope the conditions aren't as bad as I imagine it to be.
The city of Wilkes-Barre, as a whole, is currently "transitioning", to put it best. I hate to say this, but for a city with half the population of Scranton, its sister city to the north, Wilkes-Barre seems to have a much higher violent crime rate. In general, the crime in Wilkes-Barre is a case of "those who live by the sword, die by the sword", so if you're a law-abiding citizen who doesn't do anything stupid (Running alone at night with a Rolex and an iPod nano, for example), then you should be just fine. Scranton and Wilkes-Barre both have major drug-abuse problems, but violent crime, overall, is minimal. Property crimes such as homeless people urinating on private property, mailboxes being smashed by bored teenagers on country roads, etc. are commonplace. There are frequent convenience store and bank robberies in Wilkes-Barre, but muggings and car-jackings are unheard of.

Coal Street is home to a large low-income housing project, and not to be be prejudiced, but we all know the types of undesirable elements associated with inner-city projects. The surround "Heights" neighborhood is one that is aesthetically-unappealing---Many closely-wedged little white houses with sparse vegetation adorning narrow roadways.

If you're looking for a neighborhood in Wilkes-Barre similar to the "Upper Hill" in Scranton, then I'd recommend the neighborhood immediately adjacent to Wilkes University (Riverside Drive, West River Street, Mallery Place, South Franklin Street, Terrace Street, etc.) Here you'll find tree-lined streets and historic homes on well-kept lots in a relatively-safe neighborhood. Unlike the "Upper Hill", which is about a mile from Downtown Scranton, this neighborhood is only a few blocks from Public Square, the heart of Wilkes-Barre, and is within walking distance to many conveniences, including the new movie theater, new Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, cultural events at Wilkes University and King's College, and the Stegmaier building, which would be under a mile walk if you wanted to trade in the car on a sunny day for some good exercise getting to work!

Two other nice Wilkes-Barre neighborhoods include Parsons and Miners Mills, on the city's North End. They lack the "charm" of tree-lined streets and historic architecture, but they still have safe neighborhoods, affordable housing, and are very convenient to the Cross Valley Expressway (easy access to the malls and the suburban areas).

Overall, you'll find housing prices in Wilkes-Barre City to be very inexpensive. Unlike Scranton, where out-of-state investment has begun to occur and heat up the real estate market a bit, Wilkes-Barre is still in that "transitional" mode, on its way to becoming a liveable city once again after many years of deep neglect. Most homes in the city are worth around $75,000, as compared to Scranton where most homes range between $100,00-$150,000.

Mountain Top is your cookie-cutter "soccer mom" type of an area. Being a person who likes to walk places and have nice architecture as a source of inspiration, I'm personally repulsed by vinyl-siding and cul-de-sacs everywhere, but if this is your "cup of tea", then have at it by all means. Most homes here are priced over $175,000, with newer massive developments such as "The Ice Lakes", ranging up to $750,000. There isn't really much shopping or nightlife in Mountain Top; Everyone commutes down the mountain into Wilkes-Barre for work, shopping, dining, etc. (A frightful trip down Route 309 in the winter!)

Old 09-21-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
OH MY GAWD!!!
You are awsome Scranton!!!!! I can't wait to see Tunkhannock!!! Also the other little towns in Susquehanna.
Ok, can you tell me about a great Italian Restaurant in Scranton. I know Old Forge has some great restaurants and isn't far from there. How about good Italian Bread? Pizza and Chinese food???? LOL
I am so excited about moving there I especially love the Uniondale area.
We just may have this house sold real soon. Keep those pictures coming!
You can email me anytime.

OK waiting patiently for the next tour of N.E. Pa.

Well, I've already promised another member I'd snap some shots of some "lake communities" near Wilkes-Barre, so I'll put you on-track for pics of Tunkhannock and Susquehanna County for next weekend.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:48 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
That is a fine looking town. I mean that. NE Penn. is an area my wife and I have looked at a lot (hope to find a librarian job and relocate at the end of the year.)

Also interested in any smallish Poconos towns that are recommendable (love to see some pics of towns in the Endless Mts. area too. hint hint.)

Old 09-22-2006, 01:05 PM

Thanks a bunch, Scranton! I will look forward to all the area photos

Old 09-22-2006, 05:29 PM

Ok Scranton, How is Great Bend Pa.? I know it's almost near Binghamton NY.
Do you know if it floods there???? Help! I saw a beautiful home on the mls there

Old 09-22-2006, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboosmom View Post
Ok Scranton, How is Great Bend Pa.? I know it's almost near Binghamton NY.
Do you know if it floods there???? Help! I saw a beautiful home on the mls there

Hey there Rosanna! Well, I know that both Great Bend and Hallstead experienced flooding from the Susquehanna River back in June, but I'm not sure how extensive the flooding was or how far the damage was spread (We were worried enough with fears of the levee system breaking here in the Wilkes-Barre area). Your best bet would be to stop in at a small gas station or diner in Great Bend while visiting Susquehanna County and asking the locals about how bad the flooding was. WNEP showed images of the flooding in the town, but they didn't really stick to my mind, as I was mostly glued to CNN's coverage of the evacuation of 200,000 people from the Wilkes-Barre area!

I know the town is a quiet little country village along the PA/NY border, about fifteen minutes south of Binghamton via I-81. Low crime, clean air, and reasonable taxes are present here, but once again I'm not too sure about the flooding woes.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:45 PM

Got ya Paul! I remember watching CNN with all the flooding in Wilkes-Barre.
It was terrible. I don't want any part of flooding. I have had enough natural disasters in my life. (Hurricane Charley) We will do what you suggested and ask around first. The house looks like its near the river also. Hmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania