Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:53 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times

Advertisements

On account of the increased interest in those seeking relocation in Northeastern Pennsylvania, I've decided to shoot some images of the area through cyberspace and right into your home offices! This is the first part in a continuing photo series that I'll be presenting every Sunday with a new location based upon requests from you, the prospective NEPA Newbies!

Here you'll find a sampling of images from Downtown Scranton, along with the "Upper Hill" residential neighborhood, which is roughly bordered by Nay Aug Park to the East (uphill), Harrison Avenue to the west (downhill), Myrtle Avenue to the north, and Roselynn Avenue to the south. The city of Scranton is home to more than 74,000 residents, who range from blue-collar families to "old money" in Green Ridge and the Upper Hill, to a newer generation of bohemians and "yuppies" who have just begun to gentrify the city's downtown, to a growing Hispanic community in SouthSide.

I hope you enjoy my snapshots of the Electric City as much as I enjoyed strolling throughout the community taking them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 06:55 PM

New Lackawanna Avenue Parking Garage, Including Upcoming "Molly Brannigan's Pub"

New "Medallion Parking Garage" Adjacent to the Scranton Hilton on Adams Avenue

Law Office on SE Corner of Adams & Spruce

Another Law Office on Adams Avenue (Scrantonians Love Lawyers!)

Osaka Japanese Restaurant; Adams Avenue

Washington Statue; SE Corner of Linden & North Washington

Lackawanna County Courthouse

Statue on Courthouse Square

North Washington Avenue Office Complex

SW Corner of Spruce & North Washington

Connell Building (Future Site of Downtown Market, Coffeeshop, and Loft Housing); North Washington Avenue

Brixx Restaurant (Awesome Burgers!); 130 North Washington Avenue

Offices of Morgan Stanley & VaxServe (Division of Sanofi-Pasteur Pharmaceuticals)

"Electric City" Sign (Recently Restored by "Scranton Tomorrow")

St. Peter's Cathedral

Advertisement for "The Lofts @ The Mill", and Yet Another "SOLD" Sign

Another Downtown Pub

One Restored City Block...

...After Another...

...After Another! (Banshee Irish Pub)

Downtown Church

Former Theatre; Now a New "Blues Cafe"

Semian & Gress Real Estate; Spruce Street

New "Poochie" Dog Bakery

New "Martini Grille" (Plans Call for Rooftop Cafe Overlooking Courthouse Square and the Nighttime Skyline)

Recently-Opened "New Laundry" Upscale Clothier

Pierre's Fine Men's Clothing

Penn Security Bank Building

More New Spruce Street Shops, Including "Northern Lights Espresso Bar"

Mall at Steamtown

Diversified Building

Fidelity Bank

Scranton Times Headquarters

Wyoming Avenue, Looking South

"Mazza", New Downtown Salon

Old 09-17-2006, 06:57 PM

Marquee Theater

Lackawanna Avenue Office Building

New "Southern Union" Headquarters; Lackawanna Avenue

Everhart Museum; Nay Aug Park

Typical Arthur Avenue home in "Upper Hill"

Another Arthur Avenue home (On the Market!)

Typical "Upper Hill" Stucco Home

An Inviting "Upper Hill" Streetscape

More "Upper Hill" Homes

I hope you enjoyed Week One! Let me know what else you'd like to see for Week Two! Good night!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 09-17-2006 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Duplicate Pic

Old 09-17-2006, 07:27 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,745,160 times
WOW what fantastic pictures! We should all do each other this favor of posting pictures of our area so interested folks can see what we see. I may do the same when I get my digital camera working.
Good job "ScrantonWilkesBarre!"

Old 09-17-2006, 07:36 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,239,571 times
Default Wonderful Pictures

Thanks much Scranton. I really enjoyed seeing what Scranton looks like. I've never been there and it looks like a lot of the buildings have been there a very long time, but they all have a lot of character. I liked the house with the porch on Arthur Avenue that you said is on the market. You wouldn't happen to know what houses go for in that area.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:37 PM

Thanks. That was actually my intention. I got my inspiration from "BellaFinzi" on the Upstate NY forum, with several wonderful threads of the Syracuse area. It's one thing for us to speak about an area, but it's another thing entirely to allow others to see some of what you are referencing. I'm hoping this trend, started by Bella, catches on. I used my digital camera to snap the shots, then uploaded them to PhotoBucket, then uploaded them to City-Data. Once again, everyone should feel free to let me know what other Scranton/Wilkes-Barre/Pocono-area regions that want photographed, and I'll bring that region to you next Sunday. If nobody suggests anything, I plan on capturing Tunkhannock, a small country town about a half-hour NW of Scranton, for next week (BamboosMom, I have you in mind here! LOL!)

Old 09-17-2006, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Thanks much Scranton. I really enjoyed seeing what Scranton looks like. I've never been there and it looks like a lot of the buildings have been there a very long time, but they all have a lot of character. I liked the house with the porch on Arthur Avenue that you said is on the market. You wouldn't happen to know what houses go for in that area.
Scranton is unique to other "Rust-Belt" cities in the Northeast and Midwest in that it didn't undergo a wave of "urban renewal" in the 1970s and 1980s in which most of its architectural heritage was compromised for ugly "ultra-modern" designs. Scranton, at that point, was literally too "dead" to have any renewal interest, so these historic structures were just allowed to sit vacant until the mid-to-late 1990s when people began restoring these buildings back to their former grandeur (which is the current national trend). In a sense, it's actually a good thing that Scranton nearly "died", as these architectural treasures still remain standing, untouched by the idiotic, short-sighted urban planners of a generation ago.

Housing prices are VERY varied in Scranton, so I can't pinpoint exact figures. I know historic homes like the ones you saw in the "Upper Hill" tend to hit the market between $200,000-$300,000 , which is expensive by local standards, but probably a bargain by national standards. I believe that one home with the porch is steep, somewhere around $300,000, but it sits directly across the street from the gardens at Nay Aug Park for year-round beauty. Most homes in Scranton tend to average around $100,000. No, I'm not a realtor either---I just keep abreast of these trends because I want to start my "flipping" career in several years and want to see where the "hot-spots" in the city are.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:59 PM

3,495 posts, read 9,375,649 times
ScrantonWilkesBarre, great pics of Scranton! Looks like a real nice city. Before these pictures, the only image in my mind I had of Scranton was “thousands of white houses in a valley”. That’s all I could see from Interstate 81. That new parking garage looks great. I wish Syracuse could get a few new parking garages. The lack of parking in downtown Syracuse is a major problem. I am always hearing how a business would locate downtown, but since there is not enough parking for their employees, they end up building in an office park. It’s also a problem for the retail stores and attracting new apartment development.
I like how parts of downtown Scranton almost look like an England city with all the gray mid-rise buildings. Very historic looking city.

Next, you should show Scranton sprawl. Just Kidding!

Old 09-17-2006, 09:08 PM

15 posts, read 107,523 times
Thanks so much Scranton. I loved the photos. If you can take some pics of Bear Creek or Drums or Mountain Top and let me know which area has new housing developments with lakes it would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on taking a ride out with my husband and just want to plan my itinerary by deciding what looks most appealing before we come out. Your input has been very helpful.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrose View Post
Thanks so much Scranton. I loved the photos. If you can take some pics of Bear Creek or Drums or Mountain Top and let me know which area has new housing developments with lakes it would be greatly appreciated. I am planning on taking a ride out with my husband and just want to plan my itinerary by deciding what looks most appealing before we come out. Your input has been very helpful.

Your wish is my command! Expect to see Week Two: "The SE Wilkes-Barre 'Burbs" posted on Sunday afternoon/evening. I'll snap some shots of Bear Creek Village, Bear Creek Township (including LaurelBrook Estates), Mountain Top (including the Ice Lakes, Laurel Lakes, and Lake Nuangola), and Drums (Including Beech Mountain Lakes). I wish I could take them earlier than Sunday for you, but my schedule tends to be work/school M-F 8-6, and work Saturday 8-5 . Sunday is my only R&R day! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania