Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:02 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,271,885 times

Advertisements

Well, our new county manager, Mr. Lawton, turned down plans to invest $ 2 million county dollars into a plan to turn the former train station into a senior center and tourism office...clearly a ground breaking, extraordinary vision for the huge, dilapidated, empty lot and former station at the eastern gateway to downtown W-B. I believe W-B's very own Einstien "Steve Urban" was a driving force for this awesome vision!...(or he could have just came up with the lamest, most pathetic way to pander to senior citizens whom he hope will repay Mr. Urban by voting for him come election time? Anyway, just as with The Hotel Sterling, my personal wishes are that the county and city will reserve Market Street Square for a grand, regional project that will put W-B on the map. My personal vision and pipe dream for Market Street Square would be as follows..."The Victorian Village at Market Street Square"... a large victorian themed pedestrian mall that fills the entire square from Northampton st to Market street. little victorian themed shops (too tie in with the old train station) would line both sides of the lot from Northampton down to Market st, with the former station being the centerpiece...think of the shops at Montage, but with an old fashioned, 19th century charm to it...in the middle would be fountain, benches throughout, brick lined walkways, gas lamps with hanging flower baskets hanging from them, landscaped walkways (main drag), the whole mall can host old fashioned shops, ice cream parlor, Olde Tavern and restaurant, coffee shop, general store, antique shop, some funky niche stores, clothing stores, record store etc. Maybe some of the fascades of the buildings could be painted in pastle or funky colors, but the entire square would be utilized...Perhaps the McDonald's could even be transformed into a cool, old fashioned, victorian themed McDonald's? This would become a huge draw for downtown, become a regional attraction, and put W-B on the map as a destination, and the city itself would be known for it's victorian village at the gateway to downtown W-B...so, in short, this would be what I would do if I were king and money was no option...What are some of your visions for Market Street Square?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,294 times
How about a Methadone clinic and drug rehab megaplex ... From what Im seeing , reading and watching on the news , That we have a nice big drug problem up here in these hills ...

Old 05-20-2012, 12:31 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
A parking lot...ouch! oow! quit hitting me!

Old 05-20-2012, 03:01 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,271,885 times
Bravo, with ideas like that, you two should both run for local office! You'll fit right in with the rest of them!

Old 05-20-2012, 04:19 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
Well, our new county manager, Mr. Lawton, turned down plans to invest $ 2 million county dollars into a plan to turn the former train station into a senior center and tourism office...clearly a ground breaking, extraordinary vision for the huge, dilapidated, empty lot and former station at the eastern gateway to downtown W-B. I believe W-B's very own Einstien "Steve Urban" was a driving force for this awesome vision!...(or he could have just came up with the lamest, most pathetic way to pander to senior citizens whom he hope will repay Mr. Urban by voting for him come election time? Anyway, just as with The Hotel Sterling, my personal wishes are that the county and city will reserve Market Street Square for a grand, regional project that will put W-B on the map. My personal vision and pipe dream for Market Street Square would be as follows..."The Victorian Village at Market Street Square"... a large victorian themed pedestrian mall that fills the entire square from Northampton st to Market street. little victorian themed shops (too tie in with the old train station) would line both sides of the lot from Northampton down to Market st, with the former station being the centerpiece...think of the shops at Montage, but with an old fashioned, 19th century charm to it...in the middle would be fountain, benches throughout, brick lined walkways, gas lamps with hanging flower baskets hanging from them, landscaped walkways (main drag), the whole mall can host old fashioned shops, ice cream parlor, Olde Tavern and restaurant, coffee shop, general store, antique shop, some funky niche stores, clothing stores, record store etc. Maybe some of the fascades of the buildings could be painted in pastle or funky colors, but the entire square would be utilized...Perhaps the McDonald's could even be transformed into a cool, old fashioned, victorian themed McDonald's? This would become a huge draw for downtown, become a regional attraction, and put W-B on the map as a destination, and the city itself would be known for it's victorian village at the gateway to downtown W-B...so, in short, this would be what I would do if I were king and money was no option...What are some of your visions for Market Street Square?
I think your idea has merit, but unless someone with means is willing to take a chance that there will be a return on a very large investment, I don't see it happening.

And yet, someone is spending money on the defunct Roller King in Kingston to make "office space". As if there isn't enough vacant office space already in existence.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
A senior center....big surprise. Are they intent on this area remaning one big old folks home?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:05 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,083,852 times
there is a senior center there but it is guarded by the bums looking for handouts---i for one would like to see more foot patrol and a general clean up of the drugs and derelicts in the area first

Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post

W-B Proud, I personally love the idea of a Victorian Village! It's historically accurate, and capitalizes on Wilkes-Barre's roots as a city that came of age in the Victorian era.

I can envision all of the funky pastel and brights Victorian colors, and landscaped walkways that you describe.

We already have the "bare bones" of a Victorian Village. I absolutely thing that it would put Wilkes-Barre on the map, provide jobs and boost our reputation and economy.

Most of the parents who I see visiting their students at King's and Wilkes, appear to have a good deal of discretionary cash.I have met a few while living here, and many are impressed with the city already.
Judging from the tags I see on their cars and the students cars, many live out of state. I've seen tags from as far north as Massachusetts and as far south as Virginia and Maryland.

When they visit here, they spend money and when they return home, they share their impressions of our city with other.
So in a way, we a fortunate to have this "captive audience." and advertising team.

A Victorian Village would also appeal to in-state tourists of all ages.

I think it's a wonderful idea. Do you know how or where to present it?

Old 05-22-2012, 12:09 PM

24,094 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
there is a senior center there but it is guarded by the bums looking for handouts---i for one would like to see more foot patrol and a general clean up of the drugs and derelicts in the area first
I agree that there needs to be a clean up of sorts. However, generally there is greater police presence when economic interests need to be protected.

If this were a reality, it's very presence would usurp the unsavory activity that you speak of.

Generally it will shift to another location, and how to eradicate it is a problem to great for a forum post, but the clean up would come after the area is gentrified and patrolled.

Sort of like "If you build it, they will leave" (to play on that famous line from "Field of Dreams")

Old 05-22-2012, 01:12 PM

238 posts, read 364,959 times
Gentrification. They won't go away unless you give them a reason to leave...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania