Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 PM

212 posts, read 500,454 times

Advertisements

We are considering building a large deck for our home, it will either be an open deck or a deck with a slope roof.

Do you have any good contractor for this kind of work?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 03:56 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,005,417 times
poconogirl,

We had our deck replaced about ten years ago. I hired my brother-in-law which was an experienced carpenter. The bid was $10,000 for a large deck, that goes half way around our house.

My wife and I removed all the old deck and two stairs. We disposed of the old lumber. I built the new stairs - because I wanted the steps dadoed into the stringers (instead of traditional step stringers). We also screwed down most of the decking.

The problem that we had was that we expected a break - he was a relative and we did a lot (most) of the physical work. If we are not too decrepit, when it has to be replaced again; we would just do the whole job ourselves.

How knowledgeable are you of carpentry and do you have any tools? You could act as your own general contractor and hire somebody to set your post or pour footers for your post to sit on.

It is a lot of work and some people are better off if they don’t tackle the job. However; you could save at least half of your money -depending on your skill.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:17 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,785,422 times
fisheye is right. If you want a large deck, you're looking at around $10,000 for a skilled, knowledgeable professional. I know a guy who works most in the Pike County and NJ areas. He is absolutely amazing, but you have to pay for "amazing". To me, it's worth the money because this is your house, and there are lots of scammers out there, especially in this economy.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:29 AM

ok, since I am a city girl... just part time country girl... what is consider as "large"?

I am envisioning a deck that is about 25 (along the house)x15 (away from house), about 8 feet above ground.

I know nothing about construction :P

Old 06-20-2011, 08:53 AM

I cannot remember the exact measurements of our deck in PA, but it was a little smaller than what you want and 4' tall/high. We were quoted $10K to rebuild, but that was 3 years ago.

I think you should get several estimates so you know what you're dealing with. Where are you located? That will help us in recommending workers. Also, do a search through the old threads. Different contracting recommendations have come up before. Even if there isn't a recommendation for decks, many contractors will take on all kinds of jobs. Our guy is a general contractor who builds office buildings, homes, renovates old homes, does roofs, decks - pretty much everything. I think most of the good ones can handle it.

Good luck!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:47 AM

10k!!!

Old 06-20-2011, 10:40 AM

18,755 posts, read 18,005,417 times
poconogirl,

Maybe, worse than the original cost; you might have to worry about a reassessment. We rebuilt our old deck. New construction could be an excuse to reassess your property. Government is very hungry today.This is just speculation. You could call the local zoning office and they would answer these questions.

By the way; our deck is larger than what you propose. But our was rebuilt ten years ago. It is hard to compare apples and oranges.

Peppermint is right about getting several estimates.

I think that you are also supposed to ask to see the contractor's proof of worker’s compensation? Maybe somebody else can give you the correct information. You don’t want to be sued if a worker gets hurt.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:07 PM

3,738 posts, read 2,242,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
fisheye is right. If you want a large deck, you're looking at around $10,000 for a skilled, knowledgeable professional. I know a guy who works most in the Pike County and NJ areas. He is absolutely amazing, but you have to pay for "amazing". To me, it's worth the money because this is your house, and there are lots of scammers out there, especially in this economy.
I am in Pike County. I would like the name of the guy you know. PM me at your convenience.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 PM

Aw, shoot, I'll just tell everyone. I've posted about him before. His name is Steve Weingartner with STS Contracting, 973-293-1015. We had him rebuild our front deck, which was small, reroof our house, and hang drywall in our garage. He was always on time and on budget. He didn't play games or hassle us. We were very, very happy with him, but he's not the cheapest in town.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:42 AM

3,738 posts, read 2,242,001 times
Thanks for the info. Sometimes you get what you pay for so I will give him a try when I have my ducks in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania