Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,684 times

Advertisements

With all this talk about exploding population no one mentions the capacity at the over crowded Moscow Elementary Center will be the same as it is now if this new High School project is ever completed. We will drop capacity at the current Middle School from 878 to 650students due to some of the classrooms in the middle school not being appropriate for elementary students. WHAT ABOUT THE LITTLE CHILDREN??????
The time frame mentioned for general population increase is also the time frame student population decreases according to the demographics study the district had done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 12:20 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sebring View Post
With all this talk about exploding population no one mentions the capacity at the over crowded Moscow Elementary Center will be the same as it is now if this new High School project is ever completed. We will drop capacity at the current Middle School from 878 to 650students due to some of the classrooms in the middle school not being appropriate for elementary students. WHAT ABOUT THE LITTLE CHILDREN??????
The time frame mentioned for general population increase is also the time frame student population decreases according to the demographics study the district had done.
I agree with you that if the Census projections hold true and are verified officially in the 2010 Decennial Census that the North Pocono School Board seriously needs to consider expanding and/or consolidating its elementary schools and middle school as well.

However, I don't understand what your last sentence meant. I know the school district did a study that had projected a population decrease in North Pocono over this same time period, but given all of the younger families moving into newer subdvisions in the area, I fail to see how that could possibly be the case.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:32 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
By the way, I just received a negative remark in my comments about how "I should have all the facts before I speak" in reference to the apparent growth in the North Pocono School District. What "facts?" I've said countless times that these are all just U.S. Census Bureau estimates---not officially verified "head counts" of sorts. Those are only done once every ten years, and the U.S. Census Bureau releases their best ESTIMATE for populations each year in between. Don't shoot the messenger!

I fail to see how the school district could have commissioned a study that provided results that show long-term enrollment decreases in the district when so many newer homes are being built and, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, it appears as if the population of every community in the district is on the increase.

As I said these figures are not all set in stone; for all we know the projected growth over the past six years in the district could have even been a decline (although I tend to doubt it given real estate trends). If people are going to come on here attacking my integrity for regurgitating government estimates, then perhaps you should start at the TOP---the U.S. Census Bureau. Check out that link I provided earlier in the thread; it's an Excel file that was prepared by the U.S. Government. As a 20-year-old student, I most certainly am NOT affilliated with either the government or either side in the "new school" issue in North Pocono, as I'm not a resident there. I simply am fascinated by population shifts and demographic trends, and judging by the number of "views" this thread has garnered thus far, so are several hundred others. If you think my figures are inaccurate, then speak to our government.

P.S. I've noticed a sudden influx of North Pocono area residents on this forum since I posted this thread, and I want to re-iterate that this is NOT the proper venue to do battle with one another over the new school debate. Please keep any discussion regarding North Pocono civilized. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania