Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:15 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about ditching Comcast because its expensive and the price keeps going up, but the only option for internet would be Verizon DSL, which I know will be somewhat slower than cable, but I'm wondering if its adequate for Xbox live, Netflix, iPads, etc. Anybody here have DSL and can let me know how it compares to cable?

Last edited by Mr Yuk; 05-29-2012 at 07:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 07:35 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Actually, the more I read up on DSL, I'll probably just keep Comcast for internet and ditch them for TV. DSL sounds like its just a slight upgrade over dial-up.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
It's more than a slight upgrade, be suitable for most people except for the video services like Netflix.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:17 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,981 times
I have Verizon.. absolutely no problems with it....graphics and downloads are fast, service hasnt been lost or interrupted....

Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 AM

Just to add I'm not talking about video services like Youtube, just the high bandwidth services like Netflix.

Quote:
graphics and downloads are fast, service hasnt been lost or interrupted....
Assuming you're getting the advertised speed you're not going the see much if any difference for most web pages. Part of the trouble now is many sites are taking advantage of the higher bandwidth without regard to the size of the pages and linked files. For example WNEP's homepage is almost 2MB which is ridiculous by any standards.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 AM

124 posts, read 194,577 times
Comcast prices are out of control, they are ripping everyone in this area off. My experience with DSL however is not very good if you are using the internet a lot daily. The signal disappears when there is even a hint of a thunderstorm, I can use the PS3 on it with no problem, but if someone else in my house uses the internet with a pc or a laptop while i am playing Battlefield 3 for instance, the game starts to rubberband really bad and their connection gets painfully slow. Downloads for updates for the PSN at my house take 3 hrs minimum, and my friends house with digital cable it is done in 10 mins.

If you need DSL for just internet, email and occasionally streaming some videos it is a pretty good deal, but more heavy use of the net it is not very good. i am stuck with it at the moment cause lack of $$ to give comcast since they already rape me on cable and i am able to live with it because right now having $$$ > being online

Old 05-29-2012, 11:07 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,080 times
I have posted before that I use DSL to stream 'HD' basketball and other sports live with adequate results (there can be blips sometimes, but it isn't clear who/what is at fault). Youtube and similar videos work fine (even on the lower speed DSL...see below).

I am NOT on Verizon (not offered in my area NOR is cable). I measure about 7.5 Mbs downstream .36 upstream(upload). This is plenty adequate for surfing, downloads etc. We are pretty heavy web users.

DSL is an adequate technology, certainly compared to dial-up. DSL is both distance and transport hardware sensitive, so not all DSL services/customers can get higher speeds (or DSL service at all). The service provider should be able to predict what you can expect. Better, try to find a neighbor and ask them what they pay for and get. (There is a lot of info on the web about all this of course.)

I know people with the lowest rated DSL/Verizon (IIRC it is 768kb but actual speed measures approach 1Mbs download -- leading to the discussion of measurements/accuracy ). This is MUCH BETTER than any dial up for normal surfing. You also have the use of the land-line phone simultaneously. I'm not sure but I think downloads are much better too (Verizon may do some priority 'pacing' when they sense big downloads probably especially at peak times). This is reasonable if not overdone and may no materially impact the real value of the service. This 768kb service was reasonable IIRC about $20/mo. The service is generally very stable with good availability.

You can check back some in this and other fora for many similar discussions, or email/DM me to discuss further.

I would never go back to dial up if I had a choice. (And of course big cable pipes are much faster...the question is do you need a Ferrari to get the morning coffee?...while it may be funner than a Volt)

Old 05-29-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
I am NOT on Verizon (not offered in my area NOR is cable). I measure about 7.5 Mbs downstream .36 upstream(upload). This is plenty adequate for surfing, downloads etc. We are pretty heavy web users.
The download is almost comparable the Comcasts slowest plan. The upload is another story. I get speeds typically around 8Mbps down and 4Mbps up. I will say this abut Comcast, those speeds are consistent and outages are very rare. It's expensive but the service is great, even on the rare occasions when I have to call they usually get something straightened out pretty quick.

Having said that the 7mbps offered from Verizon is $29 introductory package which I think is same thing Comcast offers.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:27 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
We will not have anything to do with Verizon. We tried to upgrade to their DSL and that was when everything turned south. Even though we had been Ma Bell customers for many years and eventually Verizon customers; they mailed our modem to the wrong address. Trying to correct the problem, when they wanted to start billing us; was a nightmare. We hate their robotic phone trees and we hate dealing with people that might not even be in our country. Nothing personal - I am very hard of hearing and need people to talk slow and clearly. We wasted the better part of three days trying to straighten out the mess - before we told them that we did not want to be a customer anymore.

Let’s give them the benefit of time (in case they have changed or we just got the wrong people at the wrong time). Before you commit yourself to Verizon - try calling their service department. See how long it takes you to talk to a human and see if they can convince you that they will actually help you. Keep in mind that, if it is a nightmare, that you might need your service restored promptly.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:41 AM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times
we are in the lake wallenpaupack area and got rid of verizon dsl.

it kept locking us out of accessing the web and verizon couldnt figure out why.

more ofton than not we were down.

switched to triple play with blue ridge cable and havent been down a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania