Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2007, 04:39 PM

14 posts, read 44,126 times

Advertisements

i can't decide since im moving to parkland and its a great school district, but I already send my kids to private and public schools are HUGE compared to private, the class size is 304:1 in public and in private its 14:1 and money is not really a problem but having an extra 4,000 in my pocket is never bad so should i switch or stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 01:17 AM

223 posts, read 796,089 times
Don't be taken in by the "great school district" label. You'd be quite surprised and possibly outraged how awful some of those schools are. Such schools love to showcase their technology--computers-in-the-classroom or plasma screens in the cafeteria as a stand-in for providing a top notch education. You touched on the most important ingredient for acquiring a good basic education---small class sizes. As a public school teacher I had classes as large as 43, hardly an ideal learning environment. Another big problem with public education is that students (and often their parents) have a sense-of-entitlement when it comes to grading, believing that an "A" is owed rather than earned. My experience in the private school system (I've worked in both) has been that parents tend to be more consistently involved in their children's education and students come to class prepared to work. Of course, there are always the exceptions.

You know my vote. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:55 AM

910 posts, read 2,992,889 times
I too have taught in both public and private and have known from day one I want my children to go to public. Of course being in the middle of nowhere and one of my children having special needs that gets a little tricky. There is definitely more parent involvement, they pay good money to do so. The kids in private are just 'different' a little hard to explain. Smaller class size and 1 on 1 is a great plus to private. Public on the flip side has many more 'extras', band, art, gifted programs, etc that private usually doesnt have the funds to give. I'm sure there are positive aspects to both but my personal preference is private. That two votes...lol....

Old 09-23-2007, 04:52 PM

620 posts, read 2,056,042 times
I'll throw out my vote for fun--you should home school your kids! A few of the most creative, interesting people I've ever known have been home schooled. And when the government is only minimally involved, the odds are already stacked in your favor. It's tough for a lot of families to even consider that option because they need two incomes, but if money isn't a problem for you, why not consider it! )

(I think that makes a three-way tie.)

Old 09-23-2007, 08:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
It costs a lot (but not really compared to what our public district spends per pupil), but I keep my kids in private school. It is a small nondenominational Christian school and the education is just top-notch. The school is parent-run.

I would think it also depends upon your children. I personally could not fathom going to such a large school as a child and preferred a much smaller school (luckily we lived in Pen Argyl district so that was perfect). However, some kids love the hustle and bustle and sheer size and variety of a larger school system.

You could also have options of a charter type school if your kids do performing arts, a cyber school, or homeschooling.

I don't think this question has a "one size fits all" answer, KWIM?

Last edited by karen_s; 09-23-2007 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 09-24-2007, 08:01 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
I'll throw out my vote for fun--you should home school your kids! A few of the most creative, interesting people I've ever known have been home schooled. And when the government is only minimally involved, the odds are already stacked in your favor. It's tough for a lot of families to even consider that option because they need two incomes, but if money isn't a problem for you, why not consider it! )

(I think that makes a three-way tie.)

You're doing kids a huge disservice with homeschooling. They miss out on the socialization and friendships....and they are also unprepared for the real world. In the real world, like it or not, those kids will have to deal with different types of people, difficult people, and people they do not like. You can't shelter them forever, and hiding them from the real world completely is not a good thing.

It seems its usually strange people that homeschool their kids.

As far as the public-private thing goes, it really depends on your local public schools. If your public schools are good, then why waste the money on private schools that offer less activites, sports, and learning opportunities. Then again, if you live an area where the schools are poor, dangerous, etc...I would go private. Here in West Scranton, our small neighborhood schools are good, so I can save the couple of grand a year I would spend on private school and put it in the kids' college fund.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:42 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
You're doing kids a huge disservice with homeschooling. They miss out on the socialization and friendships....and they are also unprepared for the real world. In the real world, like it or not, those kids will have to deal with different types of people, difficult people, and people they do not like. You can't shelter them forever, and hiding them from the real world completely is not a good thing.

It seems its usually strange people that homeschool their kids.

As far as the public-private thing goes, it really depends on your local public schools. If your public schools are good, then why waste the money on private schools that offer less activites, sports, and learning opportunities. Then again, if you live an area where the schools are poor, dangerous, etc...I would go private. Here in West Scranton, our small neighborhood schools are good, so I can save the couple of grand a year I would spend on private school and put it in the kids' college fund.
I am not a homeschooler (see above post), but I can see how a homeschooler would take offense at your remarks. Homeschoolers are a fast-growing segment of the population, and IMO for very good reason. I wanted to present this article to you to explain many of the homeschooling misconceptions out there: GENERAL HOMESCHOOLING Dispelling th Myths About Homeschooling - Homeschooling Information from the National Home Education Network (http://www.nhen.org/nhen/pov/editors/default.asp?id=101 - broken link)

That article really dispels many of the traditional homeschooling myths that are still abounding apparently.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:04 PM

620 posts, read 2,056,042 times
Nice article to really open eyes about homeschooling Karen. I can understand why the myths exist, but all of the individuals I've known who've been homeschooled are well adjusted, socially confident, creative, loving people.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
I guess it depends on where you are from. The few home schooling families that I have met definitely stick out in the crowd. The parents seem like they made the decision to keep their kids away from the 'mix' of kids they would have to associate with in school. Ones of different religions basically.
My daughter is getting a far superior education in private school than her older sister got in public school. I'm hoping that I'll at least double the money I'm spending on her education with a scholarship to college.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:54 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
I am not a homeschooler (see above post), but I can see how a homeschooler would take offense at your remarks. Homeschoolers are a fast-growing segment of the population, and IMO for very good reason. I wanted to present this article to you to explain many of the homeschooling misconceptions out there: GENERAL HOMESCHOOLING Dispelling th Myths About Homeschooling - Homeschooling Information from the National Home Education Network (http://www.nhen.org/nhen/pov/editors/default.asp?id=101 - broken link)

That article really dispels many of the traditional homeschooling myths that are still abounding apparently.

Its not a myth that homeschooled kids will lack the socialization they would get in a regular public or private school. I can understand if one's local public schools are lousy and they don't want to send their kids there, but in that case, there are plenty of private schools around.

I would resent my parents if they made me stay home to do school work with them, alone, all day, rather than at school making friends (and enemies, but its all part of growing up)....many friends that I still have to this day. It seems its mostly religious people who homeschool their kids, but my answer to that is: if your faith is strong, it won't be swayed by any "bad influences" at school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania