Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:07 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times

Advertisements

Loft living quarters planned for downtown W-B

BY NICHOLAS SOHR
STAFF WRITER
09/23/2007

WILKES-BARRE - The pair of hulking residential projects in downtown Wilkes-Barre are little more than shells of their former and future selves.

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

Contact the writer: nsohr@citizensvoice.com

There you go Paul, you could move to downtown Wilkes-Barre instead of Scranton. When I read the article, I actually thought Paul wrote it using an alias.

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2007 at 05:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 08:28 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
This article is right up my alley, and I appreciate the time and effort you took to post it for me. I was well aware of the upcoming projects at the former Hotel Sterling, Northampton & Main, Murray Complex, but I was completely unaware of the lofts coming to the Pool Factory in the Heights, which should hopefully help to revitalize that long-troubled neighborhood. I was also unaware of just how affordable these units would be. I could EASILY swing $119,000 as an aspiring CPA, so perhaps I'll have to be giving Wilkes-Barre a second look after all.

To be quite honest, I'm becoming more and more disgusted by Scranton and its inhabitants as the weeks progress. The differences in the attitudes between the residents of both cities is like night and day. People in Scranton en masse have the "our city is dead; give up all hope" mentality while people in Wilkes-Barre, regardless of the high violent crime rate, still have the "I Believe" spirit. As a future young professional who seeks urban living, I'd rather surround myself with fellow like-minded people who WANT to see the cities revive themselves as opposed to those in Scranton who immediately condemn any effort to revitalize that city based on the notion of "if I can't afford to enjoy the city, then why should anyone?" Suffice to say that not everyone in NEPA is a high school dropout struggling on minimum wage or a foolish senior citizen that didn't plan for their retirement, and some of us WANT to see Scranton and Wilkes-Barre live up to their fullest cultural potentials. Why should both cities continue to hold themselves back because some residents "aren't prepared?" I have little sympathy for people who do no sort of planning for their futures.

It's amazing the difference just five years or so can make. Five years ago Wilkes-Barre was like Baghdad or Dar es Salaam, and Scranton was rising from the ashes faster than any other city in the Commonwealth, in my humble opinion. Now the tables have turned. Wilkes-Barre is the "rising star," and Scrantonians continue to spew out hateful vitriol about how "awful" their lives are (even though they live in what even Governor Rendell and many mayors from around the state denote as being one of the most up-and-coming cities in PA).

As for me, I've just had an epiphany. This past Thursday we were entertaining our family that was visiting from suburban Atlanta. Since my classes on Thursdays end at 11 AM, my father's lunch hour begins at 11:30 AM, and my aunt and uncle happened to also be free during that time slot, we all decided to rendezvous on Public Square to enjoy a lunch together. Thursdays happen to be the day of the weekly Wilkes-Barre Farmers' Market on Public Square, and I was literally blown away by the level of activity and enthusiasm downtown. Crosswalks were congested with large groups of people, benches were filled to capacity, and surrounding retailers and restaurants were brimming with patrons. I was likewise surprised to see such diversity downtown---ranging from obviously well-heeled suburbanites from the Back Mountain in their stelletos with Prada handbags in tow to people who looked like they hadn't eaten in days. There were African-Americans, Hispanics, Asian-Americans, and I even saw one gay couple holding hands while walking down South Main Street. I saw a woman in a Burkkha and people in wheelchairs. I overheard many accents from NJ/NYC that eminated from the mouths of college students and business professionals alike. Coming from an upper-middle-class, white, Catholic, socially-Conservative suburb like Greater Pittston, I felt like my eyes had been opened for the very first time to beauty in diversity.

My aunt and uncle relocated to suburban Atlanta from the Back Mountain about a decade ago to pursue high-paying career opportunities and haven't been back to Wilkes-Barre since. They were absolutely shocked by the level of redevelopment that had occurred in the city since they had last been in NEPA. They even commented on how awesome it would be to live in a downtown loft near all of this activity. I'm the budding "young professional" type cited in this particular article, and I'm likewise excited about the notion of urban loft living in NEPA. Since Scranton has been a laggard in terms of downtown housing options, Wilkes-Barre will now have a huge edge in luring in hundreds of empty-nesters, young professionals, middle-aged couples without children, etc. into its various downtown loft/condo projects while Scranton continues to allow itself to be held back with silly eminent domain cases and controversies that has SERIOUSLY damaged its reputation in the eyes of many suburbanites, including myself, as of late. Wilkes-Barre seems to be more well-geared towards a long-term revival while Scranton still can't seem to get its act together.

While Scrantonians squabble over whether or not Gatelli is obese or whether or not Doherty is a closet-case (neither of which makes me respect Scrantonians' intellect very much if they gravitate towards belittling others for superficialities), Wilkes-Barreans have rallied behind their public officials to actually get stuff accomplished over the past several years.

I was admittedly heartbroken to hear that Solid Cactus, a rapidly-growing high-tech firm headquartered in Downtown Wilkes-Barre's Jewelcor Center, is relocating to the suburbs, but this is probably the first negative economic news to hit the Diamond City in quite some time. There was an excellent editorial in today's Times-Leader in regards to how the city fumbled in NOT trying to accomodate Solid Cactus's expansion here in the Diamond City, and I'd advise you all to read it if you can. There was also a posting on Talkback 16 Online from a Downtown Wilkes-Barre resident who is disgruntled that he'd now have to reverse-commute to the Back Mountain for high-tech work, and I couldn't agree more. The only "silver lining" to this whole debacle is that Solid Cactus is moving its headquarters to a historic office building in the Back Mountain as opposed to further contributing to its urban sprawl issues with new construction. The economic impact the hundreds of current and future Solid Cactus employees could have had upon Downtown Wilkes-Barre's renaissance is mind-boggling---no more lunches at downtown restaurants, no more stops at Boscov's, Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, etc., no more staying downtown after work to catch a film at Cinema 14 or a performance at the Kirby, etc. Most importantly, all four upcoming major loft/condo complexes were within easy walking distance to the present Solid Cactus headquarters in the Jewelcor Center; who's to say that some of their employees would not have purchased some of these units to be within walking distance of work and conveniences? As for me, I'm hoping Parente-Randolph retains its downtown presence in Wilkes-Barre so I would have options for employment within walking distance of these projects.

Dare I say that after today I'm officially Diamond City-bound as opposed to Electric City-bound? It's still something I have to give some more consideration, but the sheer NASTINESS of many Scranton residents has since turned me off considerably to pondering a move there. Why live amongst "woe is me; DohertyDeceit; Legion of Doom" malcontents in Scranton when I could live amongst the "I Believe" attitude in Wilkes-Barre? If Scranton TRULY wants to climb up from the depths, then the attitudes of the city NEED to change; pessimism is a HUGE turn-off for new residents, which is why positive Wilkes-Barre seems to have the edge as of late over Scranton's negative aura.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:57 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Paul I figured you knew about most of those projects already, it was just really weird how so many things that the author mentions about downtowns, loft apartments, the suburbs, walkable cities and the area in general, you have mentioned here numerous times. Here's the full article that was in the Sunday Voice (also owned by Times-Shamrock, I guess just the abridged version was in the Scranton Sunday Times).

Developers hope high-end living will lure residents back to city

BY NICHOLAS SOHR
STAFF WRITER
09/23/2007

The pair of hulking residential projects in downtown Wilkes-Barre are little more than shells of their former and future selves.

But the skeletons of the Hotel Sterling and the theater complex at Northampton and Main streets hold the possibility of big things to come.

Moderator cut: do not repost copyrighted articles

nsohr@citizensvoice.com, 570-821-2052

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2007 at 05:14 AM..

Old 09-24-2007, 05:12 AM

Yep. Exactly what I've been saying for a number of years. The largest hurdle holding both cities back is their downtrodden, victimized images. Wilkes-Barre's "I Believe" campaign is starting to pay off in terms of residents once again seeing hope for a brighter future in their fair city, but those in the Electric City continue to miss the boat because instead of trying to be optimists, they allow themselves to be held back by the Legion of Doom, DohertyDeceit, etc.

Attracting residential units to urban cores and improving walkability is the current nationwide trend for urban revitalization, and it's about freakin' time NEPA "gets with the times."

Old 09-24-2007, 08:10 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
I wouldn't live in W-B if it was free. The daily freakshow on public square. The graffiti everywhere on my walk from the parking garage to the office. Getting hit up by bums for money. W-B is the pits, period.

Just compare downtown Scranton to downtown W-B on any given weekday afternoon. Scranton is filled with white-collar professionals downtown...W-B's downtown is crawling with welfare moms with a baby in one hand and a cigarrette in the other...bums...crackheads, and other people who have an aversion to bathing.

SWB, I can't believe you are judging Scranton, because of a small but vocal group of malcontents. Do you realize that 99.9% of this city laughs at the council crazies and DD.com posters? They are the exception, not the rule.

No thanks to Wilkes-Barre. I'll gladly live in Scranton and drive 20 miles to my job than to live in that cesspool of crackheads and government cheese. And I would never subject my kids to W-B's awful schools. I've seen the kids from Coughlin hanging around Public Square after school....what a bunch of foul-mouthed poorly-dressed punks....not all, but it seems a majority.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:49 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,061 times
Hey Phillies do you actually live in Scranton?

"W-B's downtown is crawling with welfare moms with a baby in one hand and a cigarrette in the other...bums...crackheads, and other people who have an aversion to bathing."

Maybe you should take a walk down Lackawanna ave from the state building to Adams then when your done walk around Wyoming Ave near the old Globe store. Thats all thats there. Look under the Linden st. bridge down to the Lackawanna ave bridge there is a homeless tent city there and always has been. The state building is crawling with welfare moms and the strollers on every check day. A huge portion of our housing in Scranton is subsidized low income or section 8. This city has along way to go before you can make claims like that or maybe you just need to get out and take a good long look at your city. As far as the 99.9% of the people that disagree with the so called "counsil crazies" I think your wrong on that one. People are starting to take notice that we are seriously in debt and have nothing to show for it. Everything is increasing including the number of homes for sale, the exodus continues. Anywhere I go someone stops me and tells me to keep it up and fight these bastards that are ruining this city. You just refuse to see what is actually happening to our city. We are $300,000,000 in debt in less than 6 years, by any standards or just common sense the people can see that we have nothing to show for it, nothing at all. Yes the downtown looks better that I will agree with, but it does not look remotely close to $300,000,000 better. 6 years.... The mayor even started with a surplus of $7,000,000 and he still managed to bury us in debt. Actually when it comes down to it the sheep that think the status quo is a good thing are becoming the minority in this city. Honestly you have to be kidding me and yourself if you think that what is happening to this city is a good thing. Look at the U, they are fleecing our tax rolls and piliaging our property left and right and what do we get in return from a school with a $100,000,000 endowment fund, a piece of our land back with their sign on it. Seriously you need to think about what is happening here and how it is happening and who is going to end up paying the bill. Scranton will rebound and will be a great city but by no means is our downtown the spitting image of Norman Rockwell like you think it is.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:23 PM

You see, Dan, the problems that Scranton faces ARE horrific, but they don't need to always be "in yo face," so to speak. I've had to literally run to my car at night on several occasions once I left the brightly-lit parts of campus and headed into dark alleys with groups of thugs hanging out, yet even with a crime rate that seems to rival Camden, Wilkes-Barreans, overall, remain optimistic about what the future may hold for them. Downtown Wilkes-Barre hasn't looked this vibrant since the Great Flood of 1972, and people are starting to take notice (hence why I see "I Believe" posters all over the city during my commutes).

I'm not saying you should turn a blind eye to Scranton's issues, as they ARE important; I'm just saying that you "attract more flies with honey than with vinegar." In order for Scranton to revitalize itself it needs fresh blood, new ideas, the retention of its youth, tourism, entrepreneurship, etc., and NONE of these elements can be attracted here if all they read about is "$300,000,000 in debt, potholes, 3.4% city wage tax, flooding, closet-case mayor, Fatucci, Fatelli, yada, yada, yada." It's fine to mention these if they are counterbalanced with something positive as well, such as "I hate living in Scranton for its taxes; I love living in Scranton because of McDade Park." or "I hate living in Scranton for its potholes; I love living in Scranton because of its rebounding downtown." When 75% of the city does nothing but write-off the city VERY vocally, and the other 25% of us are easily drowned out, then it is IMPOSSIBLE to EVER attract anyone new here.

I appreciate many fine qualities your city has to offer that you ALL take for granted. While I fell into the street running the other day, narrowly avoiding being hit by vehicles on the 315 commuter belt because my suburban neighborhood lacks sidewalks and shoulders, I was begrudging those who lived in Scranton for being FORTUNATE enough to have had EXCELLENT politicians in the past who actually had the foresight to get sidewalks installed. When I got violently rear-ended last summer as a direct result of the evening rush-hour gridlock on the 315 commuter belt, I was begrudging those who lived in Scranton for being FORTUNATE enough to live within, at most, an easy two-mile walk to churches, schools, grocery stores, banks, universities, downtown, workplaces, parks, and just about anything else you could ever need, which would have prevented me from suffering from whiplash if I lived in your fair city. When I coughed so hard from the smog last summer during one of my runs that I threw up my water all over the street, I was begrudging those who lived in Scranton for being FORTUNATE enough to not live in a neighborhood where nearly 150,000 vehicles pass by on a daily basis via I-81, I-476, Oak Street, and the 315 commuter belt, along with pollution from two nearby truck stops and an airport. When I notice that the "downtown" of Pittston Township consists of half-abandoned strip malls, gas stations, motels, and upcoming big-box retailers, I begrudge those who live in Scranton for being FORTUNATE enough to have a VIBRANT downtown with art galleries, boutiques, restaurants, sidewalk cafes, coffee houses, crowds of people, etc. When your township doesn't offer recycling services and when it takes the hauler contracted by the township several days to pick up your trash, you begrudge cities like Scranton that are FORTUNATE enough to have their own DPW. When you haven't seen a police car patrol your medium-sized subdivision in years, even after we raised concerns over suspicious vehicles lurking around, it's easy to begrudge Scrantonians for being FORTUNATE enough that their tax dollars go to fund an ADEQUATE police force in relation to the population. These are all things you people take for granted on a daily basis while those of us in the suburbs are left to suffer and wish that we could pay 1/2 the taxes we do NOW while receiving many more fringe benefits in return.

So many in Scranton are so quick to criticize it. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the city limits until people actually move here to the suburbs and can't believe what TRULY high tax bills look like for such POOR municipal services. I'd take a 3.4% city wage take ANYDAY over not paying a wage tax and not getting ANY services as a result.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 09-24-2007 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 09-28-2007, 01:34 PM

98 posts, read 378,493 times
Down WB 101 from someone who has developed hundreds of acres.

1. Get public transportation OFF the square and tuck it into the surrounding blocks and closer to the demographics that actually use it. Make the square more of a business pedestrian and nightlife area.

2. Turn River St into one way going South. Slow it down with angled parking on the river side and paver/cobblestone driveaisle. River St should be the focal point for night life, outdoor activity and residential. It requires the least amount of investment becuase its surrounded by the better parts already such as the Sterling Hotel, Kings and Wilkes. more bang for your buck.

3. Improve infrastructure on approaches into WB such as Coal St. WB Blvd at both ends and River St from Hanover to Plains.

Without some major changes such as these it simply will NEVER be a desirable location for business.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsedeski View Post
1. Get public transportation OFF the square and tuck it into the surrounding blocks and closer to the demographics that actually use it. Make the square more of a business pedestrian and nightlife area.
A new intermodal transportation center is being developed as we speak, and it will feature a parking garage and bus terminals on a parcel of land wedged between South Washington Street and Pennsylvania Boulevard (just south of Genetti's). This will free up Public Square for metered parking spaces and will get rid of a lot of the "rif-raff" that currently plagues the square and makes visitors feel uncomfortable.

Quote:
2. Turn River St into one way going South. Slow it down with angled parking on the river side and paver/cobblestone driveaisle. River St should be the focal point for night life, outdoor activity and residential. It requires the least amount of investment becuase its surrounded by the better parts already such as the Sterling Hotel, Kings and Wilkes. more bang for your buck.
Included in the riverfront redevelopment project are plans to "calm" River Street by narrowing it down to one lane in each direction and putting in a center median with a tree lawn. As of right now River Street has become wickedly-congested, so I worry about about what this will do to traffic flow around the city.

Quote:
3. Improve infrastructure on approaches into WB such as Coal St. WB Blvd at both ends and River St from Hanover to Plains.
Coal Street is going to be realigned so that instead of ending abruptly at the intersection of Wilkes-Barre Boulevard, it will run straight across to Union Street. Wilkes-Barre Boulevard, just like River Street, is congested during the rush-hours, so I fear that any traffic being diverted away from a narrowed River Street will only clog the boulevard even more.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 PM

15 posts, read 47,805 times
Wilkes-Barre's mayor is a con man, and the city council let him do whatever he pleases. Yeah, I would invest there... If I smoked crack. Hey, they do have a lot of crack dealers... hmmmmmm.

tsedeski,

river street does not run from hanover to plains.

PA Blvd was originally supposed to be extended from where it ends at S. Main st. through the lot behind the taxi stand and out hanover twp. to allow the traffic to enter the city without having the carey ave/horton street/river road congestion, but like everything else in the w-b, the project was never completed.

Last edited by Yac; 10-10-2007 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania