Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Drug use in NEPA is rampant because of a poor economy, drug culture, poor education, etc. Same reasons, I suspect, as the rest of the country.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM

210 posts, read 381,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why are you and aunt annie so very bent on ignoring facts? I've already stated that yes, there are white dealers in our area and other places. But the FACTS show that minorities, across the nation, are most heavily represented in drug crime stats. Ignoring that won't make it change. Acknowledging it, finding out why and making workable solutions is the answer.
I don't know, I think we see what we want to see.

When a meth lab has been busted, it is white trash in a trailer or rundown house. I have yet to see a minority busted for cooking meth.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
To answer the question - Poor parenting. The "me" culture, the "if it feels good, do it" culture, which sashayed on into adulthood and while children were being born, they weren't being taught right from wrong. They weren't learning to tell the good from the bad. They saw parents who were busy, busy, busy living their own lives while they parked the kids in front of the TV until they were old enough to go to school, where the parents expected that the teachers would do what they themselves had failed to do.

No, I did not say "all parents" or "every parent". But in the main, children who were born into families that put an emphasis on morals, and standards, and ethics, are less likely to join the drug culture. Or to join organized gangs. And they are more likely to do well in school, attend religious services, have hobbies or interests (like sports participation or dance classes or scouts) that keep them busy. And it isn't only minority children who lose out on this type of family life.

And there are children who, despite having this kind of family life, still go down the primrose path, as witness the young lady who got herself shot in Plymouth, despite having a family who cared enough about her to pay for her to attend a prestigious, expensive school. Unfortunately, they didn't care enough to know where she was and with whom.

My Grandmother had a saying that I have never forgotten, and told it to my children often when they were growing up. "If you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas."

Old 07-10-2012, 12:19 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Dutch View Post
I don't know, I think we see what we want to see.

When a meth lab has been busted, it is white trash in a trailer or rundown house. I have yet to see a minority busted for cooking meth.

thanks for the intro of reality into this----my neighborhood meth person IS a WHITE semi professional with connections

Old 07-10-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Why are you and aunt annie so very bent on ignoring facts? I've already stated that yes, there are white dealers in our area and other places. But the FACTS show that minorities, across the nation, are most heavily represented in drug crime stats. Ignoring that won't make it change. Acknowledging it, finding out why and making workable solutions is the answer.
the FACTS are without the BIG BACKUP SUPPLIERS(USUALLY NOT MINORITIES)there would not be street level minority dealers---try working in the drug/alcohol units and the core of this issue becomes clearer-----minorities tend not to have the means or insurance backup to get them into programs,nor is narcotics anonymous what they need---in many areas churches take the lead in presenting out patient meetings------

again the lack here is programs,police enforcement and a disproportionate demand in a population that is much lower than the cities i have worked in in relation to the drug problems

i find it so typical that someone that has not been in the field find what another says unbelievable cause they have not experienced it

btw---a drug deal made in the open by a minority is more likely to get police attention than one made by a non minority

Old 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
With dealers, yes. But the buyers are mainly white. Although even with dealers, it depends on the type of drug. I don't recall ever seeing on the news in this area a meth lab bust that involved minorities.

As far as why more minorities get into drug dealing? Probably because more of them are born into poverty and see drug dealing as the only way to make enough money to get out of the ghetto. And they come somewhere like NEPA, where there are plenty of addicts lining up to buy their drugs.
again you are on target!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:55 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,176 times
Quote:
Let's be careful with that broad brush. I know plenty of kids that are shocked and disgusted with the Wilkes-Barre and Plymouth shootings.
When i said kids are desensitized to everything today, i didn't mean the shootings that just happened, what i meant is nothing scares kids today in general. When i was growing up, we thought first of the consequences of our actions. I wouldn't do something because i knew if i did it i was going to be punished. I don't remember shootings among youth when i was growing up, it just didn't happen.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
thanks for the intro of reality into this----my neighborhood meth person IS a WHITE semi professional with connections
I did not ignore the reality of meth users.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
the FACTS are without the BIG BACKUP SUPPLIERS(USUALLY NOT MINORITIES)there would not be street level minority dealers---try working in the drug/alcohol units and the core of this issue becomes clearer-----minorities tend not to have the means or insurance backup to get them into programs,nor is narcotics anonymous what they need---in many areas churches take the lead in presenting out patient meetings------

again the lack here is programs,police enforcement and a disproportionate demand in a population that is much lower than the cities i have worked in in relation to the drug problems

i find it so typical that someone that has not been in the field find what another says unbelievable cause they have not experienced it

btw---a drug deal made in the open by a minority is more likely to get police attention than one made by a non minority
So before it was the dealers were the minorities, but the users were white. Now it's the suppliers are white and the users are minorities? Which is it?

I backed my theories up with studies. You?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
When i said kids are desensitized to everything today, i didn't mean the shootings that just happened, what i meant is nothing scares kids today in general. When i was growing up, we thought first of the consequences of our actions. I wouldn't do something because i knew if i did it i was going to be punished. I don't remember shootings among youth when i was growing up, it just didn't happen.
Again, I don't find that to be true in my realm of experience. While I do believe there is a larger proportion of kids who are desensitized to violence and such, I think a bigger number ACT like they don't care just to "front".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania