Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:57 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times

Advertisements

Jim Thorpe has been awarded the #4 slot in Rand McNally/USA Today's 2012 Best Small Towns in America contest.

I'm actually surprised this hasn't been shared on here, since it's been all over social media and the news.

Anyway, the town will be featured on The Travel Channel's Best of the Road on July 25 at 8 p.m.

Jim Thorpe, PA - Jim Thorpe Reviews and Photos - Best of the Road by Rand McNally and USA TODAY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 06:24 PM

63 posts, read 88,825 times
Jim Thorpe is a great town with super nice people.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:41 PM

643 posts, read 1,037,922 times
Jim Thorpe has amazing mountain biking that has been somewhat encroached on by new development. The terrain there is amazing and with a bit of money and a lot of muscle, I feel it could probably become a mountain bike destination spot in the United States. Probably not what the retirees want though.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:23 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dravogadro View Post
Jim Thorpe has amazing mountain biking that has been somewhat encroached on by new development. The terrain there is amazing and with a bit of money and a lot of muscle, I feel it could probably become a mountain bike destination spot in the United States. Probably not what the retirees want though.
If the retirees would consider just how much cyclists eat & drink in the vicinity of where they ride, perhaps they'd change their tune

All joking aside, there is something for every cyclist in/around Jim Thorpe. Amazing low-traffic roads to ride, the rail-trail path along the river, plus all the awesome mountain bike trails (I finally got with the times & got a 29er!).

Old 07-22-2012, 11:08 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
I'm not surprised Jim Thorpe made the list...it's a great town with a lot of history which based on that alone should make it a top contender for any list of top places to visit...

Old 07-22-2012, 07:45 PM

142 posts, read 362,444 times
One of the prettiest places I've ever been at Christmastime.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:45 AM

411 posts, read 1,290,532 times
Don't forget the beautiful Lehigh River, the gorge, state park and rails to trails. The Lehigh is a fantastic whitewater destination.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 AM

23 posts, read 56,735 times
karen-s:

Sorry but we retired folks do not see a dime of that money. Remember not all of the mountain biking trails are in Jim Thorpe they are share with other surrounding towns . I leave in one of those. I have a trail 300 feet behind my home( the switchback trail) and even though I have signs of no trespassing I still get hikers, bikers coming down to my home. WE have endless problems with dirt bike and atv's crawling up and down the switchback. They are not suppose to be on the trail but the Park Service does not maintain or monitor the trail in any way. In the 17 years I lived here I have never seen a Ranger. There has been an attemped rape, a flasher(which I had the pleasure of meeting, a guy riding a mountain bike caring a nun chuck whom cursed and start swinging it at me when my dogs barked at him He said he was going to kill them. I reported that all to the chief of police(summit Hill)- what did he do- nothing.

Remember that trail is not owned by the County it is private ownership of each homeowner. None of us get reduced property taxes . We actually we are taxed the highest in the county. I pay $6000 a year for the pleasure of having trespassing and noise and no I do no have a stately home. Our taxes are high because of the other low cost homes in the area that do not bring in enough revenue to pay the bills for the schools and towns. This is the coal region it is poor.

We are actually planning to leave and move down south so if you want a property with a biking trail behind it I will sell in an instant.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
My wife and I love Jim Thorpe.
We love the lake, the bird sanctuary, the old jail and the shops.
The only thing we hate about it is the lack of parking.

The lack of parking is a huge issue not just for us but for many people.
We attempt to avoid the town and surroundings on weekends and visit usually on a Tuesday or Wednesday.
Even with mid week visits the search for parking is usually still an issue although we do get lucky at times.

When we truly want to enjoy downtown we park way WAY out and walk in.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:32 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianlady179 View Post
karen-s:

Sorry but we retired folks do not see a dime of that money. Remember not all of the mountain biking trails are in Jim Thorpe they are share with other surrounding towns . I leave in one of those. I have a trail 300 feet behind my home( the switchback trail) and even though I have signs of no trespassing I still get hikers, bikers coming down to my home. WE have endless problems with dirt bike and atv's crawling up and down the switchback. They are not suppose to be on the trail but the Park Service does not maintain or monitor the trail in any way. In the 17 years I lived here I have never seen a Ranger. There has been an attemped rape, a flasher(which I had the pleasure of meeting, a guy riding a mountain bike caring a nun chuck whom cursed and start swinging it at me when my dogs barked at him He said he was going to kill them. I reported that all to the chief of police(summit Hill)- what did he do- nothing.

Remember that trail is not owned by the County it is private ownership of each homeowner. None of us get reduced property taxes . We actually we are taxed the highest in the county. I pay $6000 a year for the pleasure of having trespassing and noise and no I do no have a stately home. Our taxes are high because of the other low cost homes in the area that do not bring in enough revenue to pay the bills for the schools and towns. This is the coal region it is poor.

We are actually planning to leave and move down south so if you want a property with a biking trail behind it I will sell in an instant.
I hear you loud and clear re: your own property. I am not a 'normal' tourist, as my part-time job and many of my friends are in Carbon County, and our family has a pass at Mauch Chunk Lake because we enjoy visiting so much. I live in a neighboring county, however. The tourists and cyclists do bring money into the local economy, but I understand that you would not see any of that directly (unless you own a business that caters directly to them, such as Blue Mtn Sports). As for myself, I am a respectful, nontrespassing mountain biker, but I don't get on the trails as much as I'd like because, as a younger female type with children, I won't go out alone for the reasons you mentioned above.

One only needs to take a short jaunt up the road through Lansford, Weatherly, et al., to see that there is not a large tax base....wish I could take that place off your hands (I still would love a trail behind my house, I do adore my hiking/running/cycling), but that is indeed a steep tax bill.

I am very glad you posted victorianlady, as the touristy people often do not hear the perspective of the locals. Hope you have lots of luck with moving south when you are ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania