Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee62 View Post
WilkesBarre and the surrounding towns in the flood plain; Plymouth, Forty-Fort, Kingston etc. will become mostly non-white crime gettos just like every older suburban town in the nation has become!! Folks Lets face facts. Take for instance Westchester and Long Island. The suburban county's older original pre-World War 2 suburban city towns have had to accomodate a large influx of non-white workers needed to work lower paying unskilled labor such as housekeepers, Day laborers, gardeners etc. for the people who live in the newer and more upscale White post-World War 2 development villages! These non-whites are Hispanics and Blacks from Africa and the West Indies and they put a strain on county social services and overcrowd the schools, Hospitals and destroy the older charming Housing stock. ]Like they did in Scranton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and Allentown and Hazelton and SO MANY OTHER PLACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whaaaat? Kings college has been here for Years!!!!!!!!

I heard its all going to Pittsburgh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a big difference between optimism and reality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reality is what is going to happen and Optimism is only a Liberal Humanist pipe dream!!!!!!!!!!!!
I live here and I'm what "white" folks like to call AA...this is the main reason why I want to leave. There is NOTHING here unless you want to be that guys 1 black friend..you know the joke. Hey I'm not racist I have a black friend.. ..its either unemployed or under employed here if your black..you MIGHT meet some decent non-white people..emphasis on the might..been here 3 yrs..before that i lived in nyc.while in nyc I never had run in with the law..actually learned a trade ie..collision repair. I can speak very "white" according to damn near half the 'white" folks I come across and open my mouth to. I actually have an ability to use constructively but NEVER get the chance here to do so I guess all black people are supposed to be the stereotypes they set up for us. The only strain the community gets is from the CONSTANT corruption that's running about here.

There are MANY "white" folks on welfare here and food stamps so dont let anyone tell you other wise. If you manage to get interviews then you`ll most likely experience the same thing as me - good interviews. Then the run around when it comes time for them to give you a call back. But if you want to volunteer your time and life on their behalf for free then they are all like .. Honestly man you are better off looking for another place to move to..DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID..If anything you'll learn from this place is that racism is great, opportunity for non-white is little, denial of rampant racism is great in valley..

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-19-2012 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Edited typo's. Added capitals, removed rude comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Just an fyi, this thread is almost 5 years old.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:55 PM

115 posts, read 273,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Just an fyi, this thread is almost 5 years old.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest 72 View Post
Hi,

I am thinking about relocating to Wilkes-Barre from Ohio. I am African American. I have been doing some research and I am not successful in finding information in regards to Diversity in Wilkes- Barre. Is Wilkes-Barre a place for minorities to reside? What is the culture like?
Also, are there any new housing developments like condo's and ect.
I look forward to your responses.
Thanks
I am white but one of the reasons that we came here was our desire to live in a more diverse community. African Americans are active and involved in many facets of Wilkes-Barre life. We also have a daughter who is not white. For that reason, we avoided the country areas. The city is prety cool.

Now homes are not a huge part of Wilkes-Barre life. Most of the housing stock is older. There is one place, The Elevations in center city Wilkes-Barre that is stylish and sophisticated in a NYC kind of way. It's not a cookie cutter condo, but a downtown loft, exposed brick walls, granite counter tops, hardwood floors and other upscale luxury features. For what you get they are inexpensive - around 150K for a large 2 bedroom. Something like this would cost about 750,000 at the very least, where I am from.

There are some nice townhouse type rental apartments with amenities such as gyms, swimming pools, central air, patios and decks and mountain views. If you are interested send me a direct message.

I can't tell you that there are no racists here. There are. Coming from OH you might have it a bit easier than if you are from New Jersey or New York. I am from NY and I have had a few remarks.

Hope you check out the area.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:10 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,866 times
True, it may be an old thread, but still an important topic. The recent contributions show this. At one time we thought about relocating to this part of PA. I often wondered about this very topic myself.

We had reason to be up in that part of PA. Although friends both gay and straight, and friends of various backgrounds said, well, disparaging things about the area still, I saw the glass as half full, not half empty. I thought it had the potential to be a wonderful place. There are indeed worse places in the world.

So, to other folks on C-D, do you find that the area is racist or non-diverse in 2012? True, things take a long time to change, but how has the area changed? Better? Worse? How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania