Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
If they truly have a policy in place that only allows the site to be rented by borough residents then I can see why they made this decision. Their taxpayers are the ones who pay for the park to look nice and for it to be maintained and cleaned up after events.

If they can't prove that this is a policy, then yeah, they definitely messed up.

I have to wonder why the girlfriend or whomever it was who resides at the Moosic address Smith used, wasn't the one who signed up for the event in the first place. Smith is an idiot though, and he thrives on controversy. He's no better than those Westboro nutcases. He's probably been waiting for the last two years for Moosic to call him on his violation of policy so he can take them to court.
You beat me to the punch, I was about to use Westboro as a mirror example... Despicable? Yes ! Constitutionally protected, Yes ! and I do believe the article infers that his girlfriend WAS the one who applied, he was just a contact number...

Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Pathetic that such groups exist. I wonder if you could put together a full set of teeth from all these bigots combined? That Smith guy looks like a fat white trash loser.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 AM

Free speech doesn't apply here. Smith is from Pittston and lied about living in Moosic to reserve the park. Why doesn't he try to have it in Pittston?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
This country is wasting away and our core values are being eroded away by this idiotic liberal mindset that you shut people down because you simply don't like what they have to say.
So, no conservatives have ever been guilty of trying to limit free speech/actions, huh? Look no further than Mississippi:

Mississippi Museum Reverse Course, Opens Facility To Same-Sex Commitment Ceremony | ThinkProgress

Quote:
So white pride events are no good racist events, but the Hispanic pride day here in Scranton is what?

Please don't be disingenuous. Ethnic-based events (much like St. Patrick's day, Italian festivals, etc.) have absolutely nothing to do with events that are purely designed to promote hate and denounce people of other races.

I'm not arguing that Skinheads, neo-Nazis, etc. should not be allowed to organize, as detestable as their efforts are. However, don't think for one second that a hate rally is akin to a festival merely celebrating ancestral heritage and tradition. That's highly insulting to white people who are actually reasonable and sane.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
So white pride events are no good racist events, but the Hispanic pride day here in Scranton is what?

For once I would love too see someone actually defend our rights instead of using them as a doormat ir twisting them to suit only their liberal mindset.

One more time.....LIKE IT OR NOT......FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS JUST THAT.
Sorry...."white pride" = racism. Not all "white" people are the same. There are plenty of events that celebrate European heritage....Irish, Italian, Polish, German, etc, festivals, those are not racist and just exist to celebrate ethnic culture. Whenever some event celebrates "white pride" it just means they're ignornant trash who judges someone on the basis of skin tone. People who are so insecure that they have to feel threatened by minorities moving into their town probably haven't accomplished much in life. If you have to worry about an illegal Mexican taking your job, you probably have a very crappy job and should have studied harder in school.

Trust me, its not the increase in minorities that is bringing this area down....its mostly locally born and raised white trash. Heroin addicts, drunken welfare trash, etc. At least most of the hispanics coming here are here because they want to make life better for their families, they work hard and are very family oriented. I'll take them over the mullet-headed Busch Light swilling, drunk driving, wife beating scum that is way too common around here.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
You beat me to the punch, I was about to use Westboro as a mirror example... Despicable? Yes ! Constitutionally protected, Yes ! and I do believe the article infers that his girlfriend WAS the one who applied, he was just a contact number...
Okay mea culpa... I didn't read the Times-Tribune article.

The Times Leader article I read, as well as the news story on WNEP, both stated that Smith applied and lied about his address. Sounds to me like he's telling two different stories.

My point about Westboro was more about the fact that they use their Constitutional rights to goad people into lawsuits, which is exactly what Smith seems to be doing.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Sorry...."white pride" = racism. Not all "white" people are the same. There are plenty of events that celebrate European heritage....Irish, Italian, Polish, German, etc, festivals, those are not racist and just exist to celebrate ethnic culture. Whenever some event celebrates "white pride" it just means they're ignornant trash who judges someone on the basis of skin tone. People who are so insecure that they have to feel threatened by minorities moving into their town probably haven't accomplished much in life. If you have to worry about an illegal Mexican taking your job, you probably have a very crappy job and should have studied harder in school.

Trust me, its not the increase in minorities that is bringing this area down....its mostly locally born and raised white trash. Heroin addicts, drunken welfare trash, etc. At least most of the hispanics coming here are here because they want to make life better for their families, they work hard and are very family oriented. I'll take them over the mullet-headed Busch Light swilling, drunk driving, wife beating scum that is way too common around here.

Oh, stop it with your logic! You know that has no place on the NEPA forum!

Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 AM

Smith should organize a 5K run rather than a picnic. It looks like he could use some exercise rather than more hot dogs and cheeseburgers.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Smith should organize a 5K run rather than a picnic. It looks like he could use some exercise rather than more hot dogs and cheeseburgers.

I'm sad that this comment probably will be deleted for being off topic because it made me laugh very hard.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Moosic messed up. I cannot say what the group's aim really is - pride in being European or being against minorities. However, it doesn't matter. Our constitution guarantees right to assembly and right to speech.
But Moosic's policy is that they only reserve the park pavilion for Moosic residents. Smith lied, he is not a Moosic resident, so no reservation. Why should Moosic taxpayers foot the bill for nonresidents to reserve the park pavilion that they paid for?

It was also said on WILK the other day by one of the officials from Moosic that the group is welcome to use the park as it is a public place.....just that they were denied the reservation on the pavilion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania