Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2012, 07:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Exactly. Even if you're not on assistance and just renting, the landlord can set conditions for the tenants, and show up unannounced any time they feel like it, as it is their property.
Actually, most states require 24-48 hours notice. Unless there is an emergency for the LL to attend to...i.e. flood, fire, neighbor calls that pipes are burst...

Old 08-25-2012, 02:01 AM

207 posts, read 284,603 times
The whole "snitches get stitches" mentality is one reason why some crimes go unreported and/or no positive resolution is made. The only people I've encountered that use this tactic are thugs and heartless people. If I saw someone catch a beating and the cops ask me what happened, I'm telling them my side of the story.
I'm sure there'd be a lot less crime in a lot of areas (PA and elsewhere) if people stopped keeping their mouths shut and just manned up and spoke out.

And Landshark, although I'm sure you're trolling based on your response since you apparently didn't read the thread, I'm going to add violence isn't final answer to situations like this. It may have well even escalated the situation. If Sheena's husband were to fight back, who's to say he wouldn't get jumped by the rest of the people with the attacker and put him in an even worse state?

Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_by_Cedar View Post
The whole "snitches get stitches" mentality is one reason why some crimes go unreported and/or no positive resolution is made. The only people I've encountered that use this tactic are thugs and heartless people. If I saw someone catch a beating and the cops ask me what happened, I'm telling them my side of the story.
I'm sure there'd be a lot less crime in a lot of areas (PA and elsewhere) if people stopped keeping their mouths shut and just manned up and spoke out.

And Landshark, although I'm sure you're trolling based on your response since you apparently didn't read the thread, I'm going to add violence isn't final answer to situations like this. It may have well even escalated the situation. If Sheena's husband were to fight back, who's to say he wouldn't get jumped by the rest of the people with the attacker and put him in an even worse state?
Exactly. What I find particularly troubling is there are many cops who agree with the "snitches get snitches" mentality. It's not surprising given what I know of the cops in our area, but that belief isn't restricted to here. It honestly makes no sense to me why LEOs would feel this way.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 PM

27 posts, read 42,626 times
I read the thread, I absorbed a good deal of it. Doesnt change any of the questions I had asked. Call me what you will, personally I dont understand the mindset. Point being, If you want to improve the community, you have to start somewhere. I say stand up for yourself, and protect yourself, protect your property, nothing about vigilante justice. Truth is, in the end you cant count on anyone but yourself. In doing so, there are certain risks. Not everyone is tolerant of hearing your opinion. Police, courts, its not a local issue, its everywhere, nobody cares, just you. The only time any one of you care, is when it hits a little too close to home. If you are a victim of a burglary, nothing is recovered and there is no investigation. If you are punched, count on the same thing. If you are either and fight back, with recordings or actions, you get noticed. Yes i saw they cant afford a camera, I also saw they can afford staying in a hotel. Its not the story of a family being terrorized by a city taken over by crimelords. They are being harassed by a couple of punks who never got punched in the mouth. Ripping up flowers and saying provocative things. They only do it because you let them. How many complaints have been filed against the house? How many neighbors do you have that are willing to put an end to BS in the community? There are a million different ways to strike back, all I have read is I tried, we are moving, to every suggestion. 1 bad house in a good neighborhood never lasts unless you allow it to. Or am i misreading this and you live in an area similar to an east NY housing project, and had no idea until recently?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:36 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_by_Cedar View Post

That was my thinking. Honestly across the street there are about twelve to twenty men at any given time. They fight among themselves but stick together. We are white they are black. We didn't sign up for this. They don't work, I do. When I go back to work my wife wants to leave town. We are thinking about what to do.

These people are what my father would call riff raf. And their race is not the thing that bothers us. It's the behavior.

I'm no wimp and I really don't care if people think that. I thought about a gun, but then they are all felons and I think they have guns anyway. One had a sawed off shot gun back in June.

So I get my gun and there's a massacre. My wife and I keep saying that these people have nothing to lose and those are the scariest people on earth.

They are just not worth it and anyone who is judging either of us after this ordeal should look at themselves.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Maybe things have settled down otherwise I am sure either Sheena or Warren would have posted.
So we all can rest and take a big sigh...
Perhaps that was enough to scare them and now they will keep their hands to themselves, and stay on their own property.

Nothing has settled down here. We took our son to college and stayed a few days there.

This morning they were talking trash outside about killing us and they thought we fled and that ran our white azzez outa town. We didn't call the cops. What's the point?

We are just looking for a better safer place to live.

If anyone here thinks there are two sides to the story there are. We were harassed, responded verbally and they retaliated physically.

We have been nice to them since they moved in. And to their children.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:25 AM

27 posts, read 42,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
That was my thinking. Honestly across the street there are about twelve to twenty men at any given time. They fight among themselves but stick together. We are white they are black.

I'm no wimp and I really don't care if people think that. I thought about a gun, but then they are all felons and I think they have guns anyway.

They are just not worth it and anyone who is judging either of us after this ordeal should look at themselves.
That is exactly the point. They may have guns and you dont. Just because I dont understand someones thought process, does not mean I am insinuating anything. I dont personally agree with running away from problems, but in no way shape or form have I done anything but offer my own perspective. Are you still living at your house? Are you going to rent it out? Can you sell it? Anyway you slice it you are going to take a hit unless something is done. Even if you rent it, who would wanna rent a dwelling across the street from that? Section 8? You would become that which you are speaking out against. You have only been at it 2 weeks. Are things calming down? Anything worth it aint easy, and anything easy aint worth it. Problems are more widespread than 1 block. Even higher end developments get hit with fallout. Take my opinion as you wish, im not throwing stones. I just believe in bettering a community. Take a look at manhattan, 1 man made the difference. In the 80s, it was a bad place to be, now its 1 of the safest places in the country.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:58 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,382,423 times
Sheena and Warren,

I've commented quite some time ago on this thread.

I just wanted to say that every situation is different and because of that you feel your doing what's best for you and your family.

I deeply respect that.

There is a time to fight and there is a time to recognize a dire situation.

None of us are in your shoes, we can only offer our concern, prayers and opinions.
My original opinion as to what to what I think you should do has not changed.
Taking a financial hit no matter how large is highly preferable over having you or a family member dead.

There is a time to stand and fight and a time to walk away.

This is a situation with no good outcome other than for you to move to an area that is more homogeneous concerning race, pride and work ethic.

My thoughts and prayers are still with you.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandSharkThumbEater View Post
I read the thread, I absorbed a good deal of it. Doesnt change any of the questions I had asked. Call me what you will, personally I dont understand the mindset. Point being, If you want to improve the community, you have to start somewhere. I say stand up for yourself, and protect yourself, protect your property, nothing about vigilante justice. Truth is, in the end you cant count on anyone but yourself. In doing so, there are certain risks. Not everyone is tolerant of hearing your opinion. Police, courts, its not a local issue, its everywhere, nobody cares, just you. The only time any one of you care, is when it hits a little too close to home. If you are a victim of a burglary, nothing is recovered and there is no investigation. If you are punched, count on the same thing. If you are either and fight back, with recordings or actions, you get noticed. Yes i saw they cant afford a camera, I also saw they can afford staying in a hotel. Its not the story of a family being terrorized by a city taken over by crimelords. They are being harassed by a couple of punks who never got punched in the mouth. Ripping up flowers and saying provocative things. They only do it because you let them. How many complaints have been filed against the house? How many neighbors do you have that are willing to put an end to BS in the community? There are a million different ways to strike back, all I have read is I tried, we are moving, to every suggestion. 1 bad house in a good neighborhood never lasts unless you allow it to. Or am i misreading this and you live in an area similar to an east NY housing project, and had no idea until recently?
Uncaring police and courts are part of the problem and no I don't believe that is everywhere. Everywhere is not like here. That is a very narrow mindset.

I care about my fellow city residents. You have no idea what any of us do outside of this forum. I know several of us who are actively involved with our community (myself included). Stop taking those leaps in logic, you'll hurt yourself.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Nothing has settled down here. We took our son to college and stayed a few days there.

This morning they were talking trash outside about killing us and they thought we fled and that ran our white azzez outa town. We didn't call the cops. What's the point?

We are just looking for a better safer place to live.

If anyone here thinks there are two sides to the story there are. We were harassed, responded verbally and they retaliated physically.

We have been nice to them since they moved in. And to their children.
Have you attended the council meeting? I was going to go in your steed, but I didn't want to speak out of turn.

If you'd like me to contact the mayor's office to support you, I will gladly do so. Just say the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania