Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 06:26 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes that happened and no we are not involved with any of our neighbors in the huge multi family that we were told was being "renovated" before we agreed to buy this house.
These people are NOT FROM NY BTW. They are from Philadelphia - the black and Hispanic men, and local - the white woman.they destroy things and party constantly. We have had it. They get to look at a well kept home with a lush garden and a rocking chair porch. We get to look at a bunch of people using fowl language, barbequeing on their tiny front porch, and never working. They come by to borrow money, eggs, butter, milk, cereal, ketchup, oil - car and cooking - soap. and our washing machine. We said yes occasionally in the beginning, not to the washing machine.
(not to the washing machine, we were never that dumb) But we were pretty dumb.
We though neighborly.What do we know? We're from NY.No we are not moving - from the Valley. But maybe. We are not ruling it out.
Obnoxious neighbors come in all shapes, sizes, colors, races, creeds...not specific to any particular heritage that is for sure. Your first mistake was allowing them to borrow so much stuff on such a large basis. I can see perhaps borrowing sugar or salt but not the rest of what you loaned out. You immediately set a standard as to what they felt they could get away with asking for and now they expect you will always say "yes".

Bottom line...they are comfortable with who you are and how far you will go with lending stuff and it won't stop. It is a sad thing but you may find that you will have to move. I would put the house up for sale privately with a real estate agent and "get out of Dodge". Don't put up a "For Sale" sign as that will more than likely prompt your neighbors to come over and see if you have any "stuff" you want to dump prior to moving. The less they know the better.

Good luck with this and next time..."I'm sorry we are all out of sugar" works the best!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
This has been a thought provoking thread, especially because I'm familiar with the OP and know that this isn't just a case of someone who's bored writing a sensational post to stir things up.

First things first, I'm very sad to hear what happened to both Sheena and Warren. Sadly, I'm not surprised. I wish I was, but I have some friends who attempted gentrification in Los Angeles and had a similar occurrence.

I don't know if gentrification was the issue here, or if it's simply bad neighbors or a racial incident. But I have to say that although I'm actually a fan of gentrification, lately I've been hesitant to encourage it because things like this can happen. I can see how the people who are already living in those neighborhoods may feel threatened and resort to extreme measures to drive out newcomers, especially if there's a race issue to boot.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 AM

210 posts, read 402,372 times
Sheena, take a reasonable amount of time and get out. We left Birmingham al 3 yrs ago because of the crime rate, drugs etc. Seen it all before. I used to agree with the saying that "the only thing evil needs to flourish is for good people to do nothing". We had called the police on numerous occasions, spoken to parents of hell raising kids ( some of which were not even 12 yet, I even chased a man twice my size and half my age out of a neighbors back yard in the middle of the day ( he said he was lost and looking for a friend, hm why did he have to climb a 4 ft chainlink fence. We lost $$$ onthe house bigtime,but sleep at night and dont cringe at the slightest sound. It is terrible to be in that situation,but unless EVERY ONE onthe block stands up, watch , and/or alert authorities it most likely get worse.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Have a barbeque , Invite them over , Have a few drinks and become friends .. Pitch some horseshoes , Listen to some music and then hook em up with a few lines of bath salts ....

Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Just this. Move as fast as humanly possible....and make sure they don't know where you move. Don't put in a change of address, unless you rent a PO box....All the folks on here that seem to live near you....they need to come help you pack and move. For you folks that seem to be delighting in another person's misery w/ your ridiculous advice and criticism...You obviously have never been in fear for your family or yourself.
OP I'm praying for your safety and swift relocation.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:45 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
This has been a thought provoking thread, especially because I'm familiar with the OP and know that this isn't just a case of someone who's bored writing a sensational post to stir things up.

First things first, I'm very sad to hear what happened to both Sheena and Warren. Sadly, I'm not surprised. I wish I was, but I have some friends who attempted gentrification in Los Angeles and had a similar occurrence.

I don't know if gentrification was the issue here, or if it's simply bad neighbors or a racial incident. But I have to say that although I'm actually a fan of gentrification, lately I've been hesitant to encourage it because things like this can happen. I can see how the people who are already living in those neighborhoods may feel threatened and resort to extreme measures to drive out newcomers, especially if there's a race issue to boot.

Well we wanted to live in the city, to be urban pioneers if you will, and to live in a walkable urban area.

These people want to kill us. They HATE our values - from my "mother effin garden" to the fact that we have vehicles and go out, and we take no joy in watching a lovely old tree being destroyed.

They are jealous and entitled. Even when we didn't think they were psychotic, violent , sociopaths, they blast their music from the front steps of their house, so that we could not even enjoy our front porch.

This incident does not make me hate the city or any race of people, but it does remind me of something I studied in Sociology pertaining to people who have nothing being dangerous because there is nothing at stake. Jail isn't the worst thing in the world. in fact it could give you some street creds.

I'm moving and no I will not be having any parties involving violent felons, psychopaths and rapists.
(yes one of them raped his ex-girl friend - they are back together now)

Old 08-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
..... One had a sawed off shot gun back in June.....
That's a federal offense, way bigger than an assault. Keep your camera handy, even your cell phone camera might get a pic good enough for BATFE to investigate (of course you would contact them directly instead of relying on the local cops to inform them).

Old 08-26-2012, 01:25 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Well we wanted to live in the city, to be urban pioneers if you will, and to live in a walkable urban area.

These people want to kill us. They HATE our values - from my "mother effin garden" to the fact that we have vehicles and go out, and we take no joy in watching a lovely old tree being destroyed.

They are jealous and entitled. Even when we didn't think they were psychotic, violent , sociopaths, they blast their music from the front steps of their house, so that we could not even enjoy our front porch.

This incident does not make me hate the city or any race of people, but it does remind me of something I studied in Sociology pertaining to people who have nothing being dangerous because there is nothing at stake. Jail isn't the worst thing in the world. in fact it could give you some street creds.

I'm moving and no I will not be having any parties involving violent felons, psychopaths and rapists.
(yes one of them raped his ex-girl friend - they are back together now)
I feel so bad for you and your family! I really do not know what else I can say. I know you loved living in your new home town and were a wondeful advocate for the good in your city. I think it is easy for others not in your situation to say hold your ground or fight for your home. But, reality is when there is noone to support you in that fight it is a dangerous and lonely situation to be in. You have the safety of your teenage daughter, yourself and your husband to think about.

I pray you find a safe and happy place soon for you to rest, recover and regroup.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
That's a federal offense, way bigger than an assault. Keep your camera handy, even your cell phone camera might get a pic good enough for BATFE to investigate (of course you would contact them directly instead of relying on the local cops to inform them).
Yep. ATF or DEA might be interested in some of your observations. I am quite worried about their having discussed killing you where you could hear this am. Did you tape it on your phone?? On any newer phone that note section....or a tape recorder. Please take these nutcases seriously...Their probably a beer away from following up, especially if they incite each other like you've described...Not a calming presence among them.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,781 times
Sheena, you and your husband should try to document as many of these incidents as you can on video. I assume you have a camcorder or even a cellphone video would be sufficient. If you had some of these incidents on video you could post them on youtube and then send the link to the local tv stations. They love when they have video to show, it makes it more "real" for everyone watching. You should even try contacting the local papers to get your story out there. If anything it may make the landlord do something about his tenants especially if he's getting bad publicity.

It's ashame you're being forced to move but I can't say I blame you when you're living in fear for your life. I hope you're able to get out of there as soon as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania