Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:02 PM

6 posts, read 11,892 times

Advertisements

We are looking to purchase a vacation home in The Hideout. We plan on using it during the winter and renting it during the summer. Does any one know if there is a demand to rent in The Hideout? Could we use VRBO or a site like that? What are the drawbacks? How much does a 3 bedroom/ 2 bath house located near the main clubhouse get for a weekly rental? Thanks SO much for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 04:21 AM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
looking at some adds they range from 850-1300 a week or so for a 3 bedroom. but there are pages and pages of rentals listed and its already the season and they are still listed so you have to wonder if they are even actually going for 1500 a month or at all.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-29-2012 at 04:43 AM..

Old 07-29-2012, 09:16 AM

6 posts, read 11,892 times
I know ~ that's what we are worried about. We are spending the week there next week so I guess we can ask around. Thanks for your response

Old 07-29-2012, 11:17 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
At this time of the year you'll save a MINT by buying a Family tent , and setting up in a campground ,, Almost all of them have water , electric and even cable at the sites ,, They even have MODERN and clean restrooms and showers ... Why rent a house for That amount ?

Old 07-29-2012, 11:35 AM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
for a week it can be cheaper than taking 8 people away to a hotel to stay. usually you all want to be together and a motel room wont cut it. we used to do it when i was college age.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Also I did hear not great things about the Hideout in recent weeks. This is only what I heard but FYI.

There are over 100 foreclosures in the Hideout at the moment. Many people bought in the boom from NY and then cant pay it back. I also heard that The Hideout has a moratorium on new builds as there are many homes for sale there.

Only what i heard and I wanted to pass it along.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
That's not correct, Dororthy. Actually I see a lot of new houses going up, some of them very large.

To the OP. Drop into REMAX while you are there. They do a lot of rental business. One of the issues that you may come across is that people who rent either are year round, or they'll rent for a week at a time in the summer. So, given what you are looking to do, you will need someone to manage the property if you are not going to be there to do move in/move outs and maintenance.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
That's not correct, Dororthy. Actually I see a lot of new houses going up, some of them very large.

To the OP. Drop into REMAX while you are there. They do a lot of rental business. One of the issues that you may come across is that people who rent either are year round, or they'll rent for a week at a time in the summer. So, given what you are looking to do, you will need someone to manage the property if you are not going to be there to do move in/move outs and maintenance.
There Might be Lots of New houses going up because its easier to get a Morg on a NEW home then a resale ... There are way more houses empty in there then there are new ones going up ... Lets face it .. The Hideout is Wayne County's PCP.... Aint no good going in there or coming outta there ...

Old 07-30-2012, 03:38 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,335 times
Riverside4ever- do you live in the Hideout? The hideout is not Wayne County's PCP. What would make you say something like that. Hard facts, not something you heard. And don't give examples of things that happened one time. Remember, the Hideout is the size of Honesdale. Of course there are problems, but relatively few. Oh yes, maybe we have alot of people parking in the fire zone or maybe they didn't follow the rules about fireworks or painted their house white, but please don't compare us to PCP.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Riverside4ever- do you live in the Hideout? The hideout is not Wayne County's PCP. What would make you say something like that. Hard facts, not something you heard. And don't give examples of things that happened one time. Remember, the Hideout is the size of Honesdale. Of course there are problems, but relatively few. Oh yes, maybe we have alot of people parking in the fire zone or maybe they didn't follow the rules about fireworks or painted their house white, but please don't compare us to PCP.

I get calls 3-4 times a week to do work in there ,,, Ive seen the houses The people ... GRANTED NOT ALL ARE BAD .. ( Read that again) Not all are bad ... But the place is the pits . what kind of life can you have behind the fences and the control of the ruling board ... ???????

Please Ive been up here for close to 22 yrs .. I LIVED in PCP for 10 yrs .. I see with no blinders .. I dont overlook a damn thing ... You live in the Hideout ... Go ahead Let me see you .

A. Put up a pool.
B. Put up a fence
C. Do any kind of work on YOUR house without asking permission . Then having to get a permit FROM the community , AND then the Township..

Every community up here are pigs .. Face it Its a fact ,, We all make mistakes .,, I was able to sell mine ... Maybe you'll be as lucky..

I have a home that I can do whatever I damn please whenever I want , Of course I do everything by the book But Not to a dumb bunch of control freak Peons they call "" The Board "" .. Please ... I bet you like that water bill every month too.. Why not get your OWN well and cut off PWC.. Oh You cant ...
I dont pay for water , sewer , and the township paves and plows my roads .. I pay an extra $53 twice a year and my garbage is taken away every week,, No DUES .. How much do you pay Now ? Oh and in Jan they are going up again... Face facts lady ... it may be paradise to some .. But living in a community is like living in a PRISON for most ...IMO..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania