Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 08:52 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,176,880 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know a good window contractor? I bought new windows for the entire house a couple of years ago and a friend of ours insisted that we hire him to install them, that he knew how to install them.

Long story short, the windows leak, there are gaps in some of them between the sash and the frame. I'm looking for someone honest that can tell me if they can be repaired or if they'll have to be replaced. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 04:39 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Were the windows capped ?

The gaps are because the screws are pulling the frame to the stud ,(prob because the window is a tad smaller then the opening .. , Try undoing the screws and shim the frame .. ( so the screw will not allow the frame to Bow .).

Where are you located ...? Maybe I can help you .... You can send me a DM if you want..

Old 09-02-2012, 12:07 PM

I removed the inside trim from some of them and was able to close the gaps that are in the middle section of the window. But some of the gaps are right at the edge and shimming doesn't seem to help. The frame now has an hourglass shape, tight in the middle and wide at the top and bottom.

Here's a couple of pictures of one of the windows. The pictures are sideways. You're looking at the top of the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Window contractor-window1.jpg   Window contractor-window2.jpg  

Old 09-02-2012, 12:48 PM

You could prob tweak them ..They were prob not installed correctly .. Unscrew them make sure the frame is square. If the framing is not square when the windows are screwed it they move and come out of square ,, That what seems to be happening from what I see in the pictures , Same thing happens with doors , Sometimes you can get away with unscrewing them squaring them up and use shims and screw right through the shims .. Thats just a poor install.. Like someone was in a hurry ,,, Thats the difference between a Home Improvement Mechanic and a cut and drop guy ... ..

How many windows are like that ?

Old 09-02-2012, 06:19 PM

The guy installed 21 windows. Some windows are better than others. There's about 4 windows where you can see the light shine through. For the other ones, I'll have to wait until the winter to see if they're leaking. I know that some of them are, but can't remember which ones. I have an IR thermometer at work that I could use to pinpoint leaks.

By the way, I am an excellent mechanic, but a lousy carpenter. I'd rather hire someone experienced than try to fix it myself.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
The guy installed 21 windows. Some windows are better than others. There's about 4 windows where you can see the light shine through. For the other ones, I'll have to wait until the winter to see if they're leaking. I know that some of them are, but can't remember which ones. I have an IR thermometer at work that I could use to pinpoint leaks.

By the way, I am an excellent mechanic, but a lousy carpenter. I'd rather hire someone experienced than try to fix it myself.
Wanna Barter ? I need Spider gears installed in the rear of a AWD Astro.. its a 1999 ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania