Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 7,460 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to Brodheadsville from northern NJ and thinking about the best commute to NYC daily. It looks like the only way to get there is using MARTZ. The bus leaves at 6:15am and arrives at NYC PA at 8:15am according to schedule. Is this real as they claim on their website? I've heard about other, Joe and Jan's? Is there anybody out there traveling using any of these daily? Any thoughts, suggestions? Are buses overcrowded or there is always a seat available. Any input will be very helpful.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowtomato View Post
I'm planning to move to Brodheadsville from northern NJ and thinking about the best commute to NYC daily. It looks like the only way to get there is using MARTZ. The bus leaves at 6:15am and arrives at NYC PA at 8:15am according to schedule. Is this real as they claim on their website? I've heard about other, Joe and Jan's? Is there anybody out there traveling using any of these daily? Any thoughts, suggestions? Are buses overcrowded or there is always a seat available. Any input will be very helpful.
Thanks.
I've only used Martz, and their schedule can be... well, let's just say that the times are a mere suggestion sometimes. You'll be at the west end of the Poconos so weather in the winter will be dicey. I've heard that sometimes the bus just doesn't run in the snow, but not sure if that's true.

In terms of crowding, there are more and more people choosing to live in NEPA and commute to NYC so it does tend to fill up.

Some people don't mind the commute because they say it gives them time to relax, do some work, read a book, etc. Others can't stand it. It really depends on if you are used to commuting via bus. I personally don't use it for a daily commute but I have used it during the week for various appointments and interviews in the city, and it really depends on my mood at the time if I want to deal with being on a bus that long.

I've heard people say that it's better to drive to NJ and take the train in, but I've never tried that route.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,143,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowtomato View Post
I'm planning to move to Brodheadsville from northern NJ and thinking about the best commute to NYC daily. It looks like the only way to get there is using MARTZ. The bus leaves at 6:15am and arrives at NYC PA at 8:15am according to schedule. Is this real as they claim on their website? I've heard about other, Joe and Jan's? Is there anybody out there traveling using any of these daily? Any thoughts, suggestions? Are buses overcrowded or there is always a seat available. Any input will be very helpful. Thanks.
The times quoted for the commute via Martz is on a good day with no interruptions and does not take into consideration delays caused by accidents en route, weather which in the winter time can be bad, and countless other issues. I've had a friend do the commute and one night did not get home till midnight because of an accident on Rt. 80 in which traffic was shut down to bring in the helicopter to fly out the injured. Then he had to get up again at 4am to be at the Martz bus stop in time for the bus to NY. There's also Trans-Bridge that has a bus stop right off of Rt. 33 on the southbound side at the Freemansburg exit. The monthly pass's regardless of who you go with can be costly as is the parking pass you'll need to get so you can park your car at their facility. Over-crowding I couldn't tell you about since I haven't used Martz since '99. It's not for the faint of heart and can take a toll on your health, your sanity, and your finances. Many have to out to PA, do the commute, and ended up selling to go back to New York, Jersey, or wherever they came from because it's just to much of a hassle. My advice would be to stop by the bus stops in New York and ask the commuters that are doing it now what their opinion is. That way you get it straight. Good luck!!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:52 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
I don't understand why people do not look at a map when they plan on moving to PA and commuting to NYC? The farther you move from the PA/NJ border; the longer the commute. You can multiply that figure by two each day. It just seems like too much sacrifice. Commuting from the Portland/Mt Bethel PA area would be much easier. But that could still be too much sacrifice compared to living close to your job?

The ideal situation would be if prospective buyers could bring their great paying jobs this side of the river. That never seems to happen.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:24 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times
Commuting is the worst and very expensive .. Its not worth it .. You will be away from your home and family a good 12- 16 hrs a day.. Then in the winter you could be stranded a the bus companys will cancel runs in bad weather ( Ice and snow )

Been There Done That. Also chewed up 2 vehicles driving in myself ..

Old 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,350,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I've only used Martz, and their schedule can be... well, let's just say that the times are a mere suggestion sometimes. You'll be at the west end of the Poconos so weather in the winter will be dicey. I've heard that sometimes the bus just doesn't run in the snow, but not sure if that's true.

In terms of crowding, there are more and more people choosing to live in NEPA and commute to NYC so it does tend to fill up.

Some people don't mind the commute because they say it gives them time to relax, do some work, read a book, etc. Others can't stand it. It really depends on if you are used to commuting via bus. I personally don't use it for a daily commute but I have used it during the week for various appointments and interviews in the city, and it really depends on my mood at the time if I want to deal with being on a bus that long.

I've heard people say that it's better to drive to NJ and take the train in, but I've never tried that route.
When we first moved up here, we drove to train station in Morristown. Then we did the Martz. Both were a PITA, IMHO. As was mentioned earlier, if you can deal with this long commute, more power to you. Thank God we both found gigs in PA. Good Luck.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I don't understand why people do not look at a map when they plan on moving to PA and commuting to NYC? The farther you move from the PA/NJ border; the longer the commute. You can multiply that figure by two each day. It just seems like too much sacrifice. Commuting from the Portland/Mt Bethel PA area would be much easier. But that could still be too much sacrifice compared to living close to your job?

The ideal situation would be if prospective buyers could bring their great paying jobs this side of the river. That never seems to happen.
Wouldn't that be something. It would solve a lot of the problems we are having because it would improve the tax base and shoo a lot of the problem people away.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 AM

342 posts, read 798,670 times
Wow. From brodheadsville that is a long commute, in a car it is 35 minutes just to the water gap toll. You will also be commuting during the start of the heavy traffic especially over the GW which you would hit at approximately 7:45. I just want you to understand that those times are under ideal conditions, (no stopping, no traffic, being able to drive 5-10 mph over the speed limit) When we looked to move we chose the WEST END bc it is further away from I-80 therefore less commuters which means more community and less bedroom community. Look to east stroudsburg or DWG where you'll be 30 minutes closer to the city.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,460 times
Thanks all for the reply. I am aware of the commute time and traffic and this is something I could tolerate. I have a weekend house in Brodheadsville and making trips almost every weekend since 2007. We decided to move permanenlty because of the Pleasant Valley Schools which have much better ratings than schools in northern NJ in area where I live currently and the area looks much better to raise the kids than NJ. I should have been more specific with my questions though, I'm not asking for the best location to travel from, just how is the commute on the Martz bus itself and its reliability. If there is a situation that I will be left on a parking lot because there is no seat available on the bus or need to arrive 30 minutes earlier to stay in the line to enter the bus then I can understand that commuting on a daily basis doesnt make any sense and will start thinking about finding a job in PA. Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Scranton look like a good start.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:06 PM

3,963 posts, read 2,350,127 times
Allentown and Scranton are good places to start. IMHO, those are the 2 areas where you can get a decent salary(in theory). I found a gig outside of Scranton but after 3 years of looking. Take it from me. That commute to NYC is killer. It was sapping me and my wife's energy. The Martz bus is reliable as any other bus. On good days, it's ok. But crowded and takes forever. On bad days, you may get to work late and may not get home until midnight.

Last edited by quiet life; 09-05-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania